SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Crash Test Data for an SC430???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 02:12 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash Test Data for an SC430???

A friend was just talking about how he was considering a hard top conv BMW but decided against it after seeing the crash test results. I suggested he try an SC, he then asked how did they do in crash test and I honestly had no clue

So, after doing a couple of google searches etc, I still can't seem to find any published results - they must exist somewhere does anybody know how it did - 2008 data ideal, but any model year would likely suffice since I don't thinks it's changed much in structure (except for the better with more airbags) over the years.

Anybody know or have published reports?
Old 08-21-07, 03:54 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

for whatever reason, it's never been government tested. here's where you would find the results if they existed.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx
Old 08-21-07, 04:55 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

Thanks Jason, it seems odd that it's never been rated. I always thought (assumed) that all cars were tested at least once in the initial production year. Oh well, who woulda guessed
Old 08-21-07, 05:03 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It is a low volume production car which explains it. 3 series sell very well. I would be interested as well but at this late in the game on the current design I doubt a crash test will happen.
Old 08-22-07, 05:59 AM
dogwalker
Driver School Candidate

Default Reason for no testing data

If an automobile manufacturer can show that a vehicle is more than 85% similar through design and/or parts with another of their vehicles and are of limited supply, they are exempt from Federal testing. Only in Germany (TUV) are all vehicles on the road crash-tested. So, if you want to provide your friend information, just pull data for an LS or GS sedan.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-07, 06:31 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep in mind that the SC has no roof for structural support which lends itself in many ways in crash protection-either side impact or frontal/rear impact. The roof transfers much energy to the other side and also assist in preventing a car from collapsing like an accordion. I have seen the SC430 withstand well in some accidents but all of those were low speed. The GS/SC430 share the same platform minus the front of the front clip-but without that roof for protection even of closed I just would not think it would be as safe as a GS.
Picture a long tissue box and push in the ends, now cut off the top and do the same. Having owned both and under both more times than I would care to remember I have yet to see much in way of increased crash support on the SC vs the GS.
I just hope I never have to test it one day.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-22-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-22-07, 09:48 AM
Yes

fyi... the LS and GS both got the highest possible safety ratings on the site i posted. so i would guess the SC would perform just as well.
Old 08-22-07, 11:56 AM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

I get (intuitively) the idea that if a car is 85% or more same parts as another, that a new crash test is not required. However, it's hard for me to argue that if a GS or LS did well then it should be assumed a SC would do well also. They are very different cars in size so the parts can't be the same (can they), and just the conv. top makes them too different to assume similar performance in crash test.

If I could find (but I haven't) crash test data from ANY year SC430, then I'd likely say that all years are likely as safe with the difference by year being in air bags. It is a low production car and I don't expect a lot of test or accident history reports on it, but I'm surprised that nothing is out there.
Old 08-22-07, 12:20 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

I haven't looked into this extensively but I can tell you that there are many many low volume 'expensive' cars that don't have crash test data. Many Porsches, Bentleys, Mazaratis, Ferraris, etc don't have any crash test data. I'm not saying the SC is the same as all of these cars but it's not unheard of that a low volume expensive car doesn't have crash test data.

Kan-O-Z
Old 08-22-07, 02:55 PM
Yes

my point is that if every single car they make has received the highest possible rating, they know what they're doing when it comes to safety. i went ahead and checked and every model listed does have the highest rating.