SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

firm your shft in the sc430 [ a-650-e ]

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 08:38 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by angus
I looked up pics of the 06+ valve body and it does have the selector switch, I may do this on my 06 430 and see.
Thank you Angus... Much appreciated.
Old 03-07-15, 01:04 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Urgent -Got A Problem Removing Trans Pan

I've got my '02 SC430 in the air and have remove the 18 (yes, 18 not 20 like some later models) bolts securing the transmission pan. Have drained already drained it, too.

My problem is that the pan appears top be almost glued to the transmission with some red gunk (I guess original Lexus permaseal type gasket material). Does anyone have a secret way of prting off the pan without bending the edges?

I tried "coaxing" the pan with a rubber mallet to break the seal loose, but no luck.
Thanks
Old 03-09-15, 06:41 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have resolved my issue.
Thanks
Old 02-08-18, 10:32 AM
Steelsnow
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Angus (or anyone else) - how'd this work out on your '06-'10 six speed? Any noticeable difference?

Has anyone who has done this noted any negative side effects over time?

Originally Posted by angus
I looked up pics of the 06+ valve body and it does have the selector switch, I may do this on my 06 430 and see.
Old 02-08-18, 10:51 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelsnow
Angus (or anyone else) - how'd this work out on your '06-'10 six speed? Any noticeable difference?

Has anyone who has done this noted any negative side effects over time?
No adverse effect noted from me in my 2002.
The following users liked this post:
Steelsnow (02-13-18)
Old 05-16-18, 07:25 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So, i recently read a thread and can't seem to locate it now but someone was making a point against the SC430 and it's "lag" between mashing the pedal and response from the car. It specifically said that some days it would take off from the line/stop light like a bullet and other days it was slow to react. I thought I would link this thread as it has removed that sensation from my car. It totally feels like a different animal since I've changed the transmission pressure to FIRM. Additionally, to that same poster, if you do a battery disconnect for >15min and clear the ECU it will remove the previous "learned" driving style and give you a blank slate to train the car for your unique driving style. I reset mine annually or more. I've seen my gas mileage and shift points change from my older style of reserved driving. Just thought I'd bring this thread up to the top for that specific member, and anyone else that is looking for a more sporty feel to the SC430.
Old 05-16-18, 10:30 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Shawn, regarding your gas mpg change, do you attribute that to your driving style change or the change in the transmission? Also, did it go up or down?
Old 05-17-18, 05:16 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this the valve that I circled in red/yellow?
Old 05-18-18, 04:55 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hyper15125
Yes I believe so.
Old 05-19-18, 06:17 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

Yes, that is the adjustment screw. Use a flat blade screwdriver, press in and rotate to the desired position ( 3 positions / settings ).
Old 05-19-18, 06:19 PM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Yes, that is the adjustment screw. Use a flat blade screwdriver, press in and rotate to the desired position ( 3 positions / settings ).
Awesome, thanks for confirming!
Old 05-19-18, 06:23 PM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Anyone know of this has anything to do with the ECT switch? Are we bypassing the other modes by manually switching this all the way over?
Old 06-18-18, 01:27 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Anyone know of this has anything to do with the ECT switch? Are we bypassing the other modes by manually switching this all the way over?
Digging up an old thread, but I feel obligated to answer this question lol. From the information provided above, this switch inside of the pan just increases the trans fluid pressure and that's it. That means, like it says above, that it causes the car to engage into gear more quickly when shifting into reverse or drive, as well as engaging gears more quickly when shifting through the forward gears. Period.

In ECT power mode, the main changes are:
1.) sharpen throttle response - instead of electronically smoothing out your throttle applications - especially your initial application - it will sharply apply throttle if you sharply apply pressure to the gas pedal.
2.) causes the transmission to hold gears longer before upshifting/upshift at higher RPM than it would normally under the same amount of throttle applied.
3.) causes the transmission to be more willing to downshift when applying more throttle while in motion instead of hesitating a little like it does normally.
4.) I also believe it will delay an upshift depending on steering angle and vehicle speed. The car knows when you're cornering at speed based on these two measurements and will hold the current gear in anticipation of you reapplying throttle as you exit the corner.

I'm not 100%, but ECT Power mode might also increase trans fluid pressure like adjusting this switch inside the trans pan... but again, I'm not really sure about that. Either way, the short answer to your question is: no. Adjust this switch inside the trans doesn't do any of the other things I described above that ETC Power mode does.
Old 06-18-18, 02:46 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall
Digging up an old thread, but I feel obligated to answer this question lol. From the information provided above, this switch inside of the pan just increases the trans fluid pressure and that's it. That means, like it says above, that it causes the car to engage into gear more quickly when shifting into reverse or drive, as well as engaging gears more quickly when shifting through the forward gears. Period.

In ECT power mode, the main changes are:
1.) sharpen throttle response - instead of electronically smoothing out your throttle applications - especially your initial application - it will sharply apply throttle if you sharply apply pressure to the gas pedal.
2.) causes the transmission to hold gears longer before upshifting/upshift at higher RPM than it would normally under the same amount of throttle applied.
3.) causes the transmission to be more willing to downshift when applying more throttle while in motion instead of hesitating a little like it does normally.
4.) I also believe it will delay an upshift depending on steering angle and vehicle speed. The car knows when you're cornering at speed based on these two measurements and will hold the current gear in anticipation of you reapplying throttle as you exit the corner.

I'm not 100%, but ECT Power mode might also increase trans fluid pressure like adjusting this switch inside the trans pan... but again, I'm not really sure about that. Either way, the short answer to your question is: no. Adjust this switch inside the trans doesn't do any of the other things I described above that ETC Power mode does.
I am curious to know how many SC430 drivers use ECT mode regularly. The only time I drove with 'ECT on' was when I picked up my new car from Modesto CA to Irvine CA in 2002, not knowing why it was on....sometimes I have used lower gears manually for power boost. I need to learn how to drive my car optimally using the features and technology available.
Old 06-18-18, 10:49 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

I don't use ECT unless I'm racing ( and I have no reason to).
What ECT does is, it allows the gears switching at max RPM for the gear it's in before switch to next higher gear.
I do drive in S mode sometimes, however, just to enjoy the manual shifting.
It's fun.

Quick Reply: firm your shft in the sc430 [ a-650-e ]