SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

firm your shft in the sc430 [ a-650-e ]

Old 10-06-11, 10:23 AM
irokdastar
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did my trans flush and here is a pic of the switch.the picture is after i turned it. what you do is use a flat head and push it in then turn to the right. btw keep an eye on the metal tab as it will come out when you turn it. this actually worked very well and it uses less gas go figure.
Attached Thumbnails firm your shft in the sc430 [ a-650-e ]-imag0443.jpg  
Old 05-08-14, 12:17 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to revive this old thread but has anyone tried this on the newer tranny's ( 06+ gs?)
The following 2 users liked this post by angus:
lamb (04-15-19), SixT7VDub (03-31-21)
Old 05-08-14, 01:16 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

does this work on both the 5spd and 6spd auto?
Old 05-09-14, 11:18 AM
bjhille
Rookie

I would be curious of the '06+ SC430's have this as an option. I assume so, but would hate to change the fliud (just did a tranny flush last year) to find out this pressure valve isn't there. Can anyone confirm this will work on a '06+ SC430?

Thanks.
Old 06-12-14, 07:02 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the "retainer" dial in the diagram the thing that is hand drawn that needs to be turned clockwise? Is it possible to do this on your own???
Old 06-12-14, 07:19 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lexbrett
you don't want to do this on your back. you need a lift.
Old 06-25-14, 06:23 PM
medsc430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by irokdastar
i did my trans flush and here is a pic of the switch.the picture is after i turned it. what you do is use a flat head and push it in then turn to the right. btw keep an eye on the metal tab as it will come out when you turn it. this actually worked very well and it uses less gas go figure.
Just curious, will this do anything to change the amount of acceleration needed to downshift to a lower cog? It seems my 02 requires considerable gas pedal action to pick up a lower gear.
Old 06-25-14, 10:16 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Had mine done this past weekend at McGrath Lexus for $203 out the door. Including filter, fluid, and the adjustment. After a week of testing, I will say that there's more pick up off the pedal. I would rate it at a half step between my SprintBooster Electronic Throttle Control's "Spirited" first setting and the OEM. I feel that there's a faster acceleration from a full stop when compared to OEM, but by no means anywhere close to the "Spirited" Setting. More than anything though, I feel that the lag (what I call "the lurch") between 1st and 2nd gear is not noticeable now. It's that moment when the car just hangs before propelling itself into 2nd gear. I always felt that there was some hesitation (indicated by huge growl from the engine and no go) when I'd mash the pedal. Now it's gone. Smooth and constant acceleration. Good news though, it does seem to save some gas, as I've noticed my MPG's according to the reading, are slowly creeping up toward 18 from 16 (I-290 bumper to bumper city driving). The SprintBooster unfortunately eats gas and thus this Trans Pressure Adjustment is a good daily driving modification.

UPDATE: As a side note, I also drive in the 4D mode rather than regular D. As I experimented with both, I noticed I got better MPG's in the 4D. I do not use the POWER ETC mode.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-25-14 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-26-14, 05:01 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

glad your enjoying the upgrade like I said money well spent.
Old 06-26-14, 01:56 PM
supratwin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Had mine done this past weekend at McGrath Lexus for $203 out the door. Including filter, fluid, and the adjustment.
Is this an odd job or is it called something commonly done?
Old 06-26-14, 01:59 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Supra, my tech had never heard of it. so he called the shop supervisor who also had never heard of it. So I showed him all the photos and directions I had gathered from this site. He was willing to take it on as a special project and just classified it as a Transmission Fluid & Filter Change. I just explained that I'd like the adjustment done while they had the pan off.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-26-14 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-26-14, 02:25 PM
supratwin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I'm curious about if it saves gas, gives a smoother shift, why did Lexus decide to not use this option and stick with the other?
Old 06-30-14, 10:11 AM
medsc430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Had mine done this past weekend at McGrath Lexus for $203 out the door. Including filter, fluid, and the adjustment. After a week of testing, I will say that there's more pick up off the pedal. I would rate it at a half step between my SprintBooster Electronic Throttle Control's "Spirited" first setting and the OEM. I feel that there's a faster acceleration from a full stop when compared to OEM, but by no means anywhere close to the "Spirited" Setting. More than anything though, I feel that the lag (what I call "the lurch") between 1st and 2nd gear is not noticeable now. It's that moment when the car just hangs before propelling itself into 2nd gear. I always felt that there was some hesitation (indicated by huge growl from the engine and no go) when I'd mash the pedal. Now it's gone. Smooth and constant acceleration. Good news though, it does seem to save some gas, as I've noticed my MPG's according to the reading, are slowly creeping up toward 18 from 16 (I-290 bumper to bumper city driving). The SprintBooster unfortunately eats gas and thus this Trans Pressure Adjustment is a good daily driving modification.

UPDATE: As a side note, I also drive in the 4D mode rather than regular D. As I experimented with both, I noticed I got better MPG's in the 4D. I do not use the POWER ETC mode.
ShawnOk, your description of "the lurch" is an apt one and if this relatively cheap mod corrects that anomaly then I'll be a very pleased camper!! It's taking pole position on the list of fixes for my 02 SC! BTW, I've only driven one 06 SC (with the 6speed tranny) and did not experience "the lurch" in that car.
Old 06-30-14, 01:57 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by medsc430
ShawnOk, your description of "the lurch" is an apt one and if this relatively cheap mod corrects that anomaly then I'll be a very pleased camper!! It's taking pole position on the list of fixes for my 02 SC! BTW, I've only driven one 06 SC (with the 6speed tranny) and did not experience "the lurch" in that car.
...Did anyone ever get to the bottom of whether or not this tranny mod is possible for 2006-2010 Lexus SC430 models?
Old 09-29-14, 04:25 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexeffect
...Did anyone ever get to the bottom of whether or not this tranny mod is possible for 2006-2010 Lexus SC430 models?
I looked up pics of the 06+ valve body and it does have the selector switch, I may do this on my 06 430 and see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: firm your shft in the sc430 [ a-650-e ]