SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Can HeadLights manually be moved????? I don't want to goto the dealership....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-07, 11:34 AM
rclab1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can HeadLights manually be moved????? I don't want to goto the dealership....

Is it possible to point the HeadLights up just a bit manualy? for some reason, in my opinion, at night when i'm driving, its not pointed out and up far enough. It would save me the time rather than goto the dealership if I can do it myself.....its a 2002 SC. thanks....link.?
Old 08-11-07, 11:38 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

are you saying the output sucks compared to other SC's or other cars, because it could just be the output, varies from car to car, but I think the SC is supposed to have pretty decent setup

I am pretty sure your SC has factory xenons, meaning they have autoleveling

to answer your question you can manually adjust them, but the auto leveling will just correct it self or place the light where it is at right now, you will have to take it to the dealer,

and from what I heard good luck with getting them adjusted, most dealers do not want to mess with it

post pics of output, and the cutoff, we will be able to tell if they need adjusting or not,
Old 08-11-07, 02:23 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rclab1
Is it possible to point the HeadLights up just a bit manualy? for some reason, in my opinion, at night when i'm driving, its not pointed out and up far enough. It would save me the time rather than goto the dealership if I can do it myself.....its a 2002 SC. thanks....link.?
Read your owner's manual, dude.

Here are some DIY pics for headlight adjustment on a JDM soarer, but again refer to your owner's manual for the correct bolts you should adjust.

Old 08-13-07, 07:09 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

....thanks for the pics up above.....

you mentioned that once I move/ or aimed a little bit higher, it will then auto adjust to the default setting????? I have a 2005 and it does not have the auto leveling headlights that comes in the 2006-up models.

....will the position stay at the level that I want it to be in? or will it correct itself to default setting????

thanks....

Last edited by rclab1; 01-25-09 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-13-07, 07:29 PM
talwang

You can tell us if or not it will go back to the original factory setting after you adjust it.

As for 06+, they are equipped with Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System (i-AFS).

"At night, a Lexus with i-AFS lets you see around corners. It estimates where you will be in three seconds' time, using sensors that monitor your speed and the angle of your front wheels, and shines the car's headlights in that direction. The left and right headlamps swivel by different amounts depending on the way you are turning - one swivels by 5°, and the other by 15°.

So when you approach a corner, your lights follow the road ahead rather than simply illuminating the edge of the road. It helps take the strain out of night driving, especially on unfamiliar winding roads."
Old 01-25-09, 01:59 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

TalWang, what is that 5th and 6th picture you have up above? is that in our car? it seems like a leveling device? I do not have that "meter"????? if All SC's have it, where is it? thanks.....

p.s. soooo sorry to bring this old post up.....
Old 01-25-09, 03:23 PM
talwang

Rotating a screwdriver clockwise makes the optical axis aim downward and rotating counterclockwise makes it upward.

Horizontal direction is impossible to adjust unless you have a 2006-2009 SC.

The following users liked this post:
HardTimes (10-21-17)
Old 01-25-09, 03:31 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Thanks TalWang, ..... that "Low Beam Adj Bolt A" is very easy to rotate. it is is on the very top corner of the HeadLight housing (it is a white colored Phillips screw).....

can you post a pic of the HeadLight while in the car. that white phillips screw is on the very top corner for adjustments.

That "High Beam Adj Bolt B" is a pain the A*S..... it is way down deep behind the headLight housing. Why in the earth didn't they put a visible leveling device there? all the other Lexus cars have it besides our SC's.......arrrrrhhhh.

I will concentrate on my Low Beams Adj for now.....crossing my fingers it will work.

Last edited by rclab1; 01-25-09 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-25-09, 03:35 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

TalWang, that 7th pic you posted up above showes a screw driver going in behind the headLight housing, right? that picture should adjust the High Beams, which is Bolt B?????

correct me if I'm wrong.....
Old 01-25-09, 04:00 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

when i first bought my sc, i didn't realize one headlight was supposed to be higher than the other. so i tried adjusting them using the method above. the end result was auto leveling cancelled out any adjustment i made. when i asked the dealership and found out they're not supposed to be even, the unevenness no longer bothered me. if you can't adjust them, you may want to go with brighter bulbs.
Old 01-25-09, 05:25 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

I just got back from trying to adjust them,,,,, I counter-clockwise turned the the "HID Low Beam" screw" (Bolt A) on the upper corner of the Head Light housing so that the driver side HID would point up. I turned it twice counter clockwise and I tripled checked it. nothing happened? there was no movement???????

Jason702- why is this happening? why wont it let me adj it? you are right, the driver side seems to be "just a hair" lower than the passenger side. I could tell b/c the driver side is a little bit dim. is this a safety preCaution to onComing traffic so it wont blind them from our driver side light beam?

TalWang,,,, can you check up on this..... thanks
Old 01-25-09, 06:07 PM
Yes

that's exactly why one is higher than the other. or at least that's what the dealership told me. the auto leveling may have a safety aspect to it too. since xenon lights are brighter than standard lights, they may make it impossible to adjust them higher, which could blind oncoming traffic.
Old 01-25-09, 06:15 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

just a note: I adjusted the HID Low Beams when the car engine was running! should I try and adjust them with the car engine off? you think that will work? let me know.

one more thing, The 2002-2005 does not have "auto leveling"..... I know the "i-adaptive" headLights are on the 2006-and up, ...... can you explain fully what the "auto Leveling" does? because I NeVeR see
my HeadLight HID Low Beams MOVE??????

Last edited by rclab1; 01-25-09 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-25-09, 06:33 PM
Yes

all SC430s have auto leveling. i adjusted mine with the engine off, so i think you'll have the same results. they adjust when you start your car. you'll see them dip down then rise up into position. it only takes a second.
Old 01-25-09, 06:46 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

.... is there a way to by pass that? anyone?

anyone?

Last edited by rclab1; 01-26-09 at 07:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Can HeadLights manually be moved????? I don't want to goto the dealership....