SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Starting to mod my new SC430

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 04:14 PM
l3urner
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Starting to mod my new SC430

I have been looking for a 2005 Pebble Beach for years. I picked up one the other day with only 88k on it! I finally had the right combination of things. Usually it was "had the money and no cars" or "found a car and had no money"

Of course the after getting in the car I found the antenna was broke and the stereo had a CD jammed in it lol. So I went to work on it!

- Fixed CD player
- Fixed antenna
- Repaired rear speakers https://www.simplyspeakers.com/
- Installed kicker 6x9s and 8" DVC
- Recovered all speakers in black for some contrast while it was apart
- Cleaned and conditioned all leather surfaces
- Installed sc430mods.com Bluetooth adapter
- Installed sc430mods.com Throttle controller
- Installed sc430mods.com puddle lights
- Installed a Bluetooth media button

Up next...
- Soundstream 405 Amp I have laying around.

Later I want to work on handling. I have a 2009 Miata and it will never be that however, something has to be done about the body roll!

This Satechi BT Media Button was only 29.00 on Amazon. Cant say enough good things about sc430mods.com

The lid still closes too!

Sounds so much better. Its really going to hit once I install the Soundstream 405!

The back seats must have never had any love at all. Some of it was 2 toned SMH. Soft as butter now though.

It was well worth the time it took to do this!

Cant say enough good things about sc430mods.com

I love the black and red contrast. I am going to get black window switches and a black center console.

The only thing they have in common is that they are convertibles. Its like having a crotch rocket and a V twin cruiser. Both serve a purpose!

Last edited by l3urner; 08-30-22 at 08:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by l3urner:
Badhobz (08-31-22), fishinmagi (09-03-22), Neil E (09-02-22), SeaStories (09-01-22)
Old 08-30-22, 10:59 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

What does the BT Media button do? and how does it work with the SC430mods BT kit? I have a Cusco tower bar lying around been lazy about installing it or thinking if I should install it after coilovers.
Old 08-31-22, 07:15 AM
l3urner
Rookie

Originally Posted by AVSRacing
What does the BT Media button do? and how does it work with the SC430mods BT kit? I have a Cusco tower bar lying around been lazy about installing it or thinking if I should install it after coilovers.
The sc430mods adapter only allows you to play music via Bluetooth. You don't have track forward/back control. I use the Bluetooth media button to control my phone.

If I already have a playlist ready, I just get in the car and start driving. I dont have to fiddle with my phone to change a track or volume.

I just leave the stereo covered now. Besides who wants to look at a tape deck in 2022 .

That strut tower bar is on my short list. Compared to the miata the front end feels so loose!
Old 08-31-22, 12:45 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

If you want it to handle like the Miata, upgrade your front & rear sway bars, and install front & rear strut tower braces. this will box it up.
If your struts are bad go with coil overs, otherwise, save the $ for now.
Then tune/remap the ECU to unleash the beast.
The following 2 users liked this post by digitatc:
l3urner (08-31-22), SeaStories (09-01-22)
Old 08-31-22, 01:47 PM
l3urner
Rookie

Originally Posted by digitatc
If you want it to handle like the Miata, upgrade your front & rear sway bars, and install front & rear strut tower braces. this will box it up.
If your struts are bad go with coil overs, otherwise, save the $ for now.
Then tune/remap the ECU to unleash the beast.
Good to know! Thank you for the advice.

I read the ISF rear sway bar is good. Trying to do some more research on the front sway bar options
Old 08-31-22, 04:16 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Shock valuing is wrong. Too soft on big dips too high on sharp edges
The following users liked this post:
l3urner (08-31-22)
Old 08-31-22, 07:30 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

nice post.....I didnt know about sc430mods.com all these time.......I missed out so much. Gonna order the back-up camera kit for mine
Old 09-01-22, 08:36 AM
l3urner
Rookie

Originally Posted by grabber2
nice post.....I didnt know about sc430mods.com all these time.......I missed out so much. Gonna order the back-up camera kit for mine
I found them when I searched bluetooth adapter for SC430.

No complaints at all. The throttle controller is real nice. The car drove horrible before when using light to 1/4 throttle input.
Old 09-01-22, 11:34 AM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

How big of a difference does the sway bar make, back in my Honda days I did thick rear sway bar, sub frame brace but honestly I didn't notice much difference
Old 09-02-22, 02:11 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Together with adjustable coil-overs, a thicker GS/Aristo front and ISF rear sway bar made a very noticeable difference to my car. The front strut brace probably makes very little difference but I have one fitted.
A simple rear chassis brace made it feel slightly tighter but reduced the ground clearance so there's a compromise to consider. Upgrading the suspension certainly does improve the overall experience.
The following 3 users liked this post by Neil E:
Caflashbob (09-02-22), l3urner (09-05-22), WIL44 (09-03-22)
Old 09-02-22, 05:03 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

My Tein CS coil-over make a huge improvement on the ride quality and a lot less body roll. Just keep in mind the SC430 is not sport car so it will still bounce and roll no matter what.
Old 09-03-22, 10:01 AM
doobs
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil E
Together with adjustable coil-overs, a thicker GS/Aristo front and ISF rear sway bar made a very noticeable difference to my car. The front strut brace probably makes very little difference but I have one fitted.
A simple rear chassis brace made it feel slightly tighter but reduced the ground clearance so there's a compromise to consider. Upgrading the suspension certainly does improve the overall experience.
That's great news, all things on my todo list.

Has it helped the lift/squat under acceleration? The amount the nose lifts when you hit the go pedal is very disconcerting.

cheers,
Old 09-03-22, 11:00 PM
l3urner
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neil E
Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-03-22, 11:02 PM
l3urner
Rookie

Originally Posted by grabber2
My Tein CS coil-over make a huge improvement on the ride quality and a lot less body roll. Just keep in mind the SC430 is not sport car so it will still bounce and roll no matter what.
I am leaning toward the meisters as i have read they are not as plush as the CS but not as rough as the Megan and BC.
Old 09-03-22, 11:05 PM
l3urner
Rookie

Originally Posted by doobs
That's great news, all things on my todo list.

Has it helped the lift/squat under acceleration? The amount the nose lifts when you hit the go pedal is very disconcerting.

cheers,
Agreed! The throttle controller has really exposed the lift and sqaut nature of the stock suspension SMH.

Typical of car mod game, one fix leads to the next break lol

Quick Reply: Starting to mod my new SC430