Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks Lee, much appreciated.
Old 07-13-09, 06:53 PM
bmanke
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Outside Mirror Removal Clarifaction

I just replaced the motor in my 85,000 mile Lexus and this thread was immensely helpful! Thank you! However, a few things need to be clarified to make it easier.

1) Remove the FRONT housing first. The rear housing (around the mirror) is held on with a hidden screw from the back.

2) After removing the three screws under the mirror - pry the housing apart on the outside and stuff paper towels in the gap (top and bottom) to hold it apart and create pressure. Now use a hook, pick, and small screw driver to release the three little white retaining tabs. They are a standard Y shaped retainer so you have an ear on the top and bottom to release. After they release gently wiggle the housing up and down so as not to break the retaining tab on the right side - I got mine off without breaking it.

3) Check the donor motor! My donor motor up and down worked for about 60 seconds and died! The motor assembly is easy enough to take apart - if you got this far you will have no problem

4) While you have it apart you probably need to paint the black trim around the mirror. Mine looked terrible - it was fading and the plastic was literally rubbing off. Not to impressive considering I live in CT and Lexus is garage kept. The black trim just snaps on. I carefully wet sanded it down with 600 grit sand paper and then painted it with semi-gloss automotive paint that I got from our local automotive paint supplier. Looks great now.

Hope this helps!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Anatomy of a side mirror-img_0169.jpg  

Last edited by bmanke; 07-14-09 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-13-09, 08:05 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bmanke
I just replaced the motor in my 85,000 mile Lexus and this thread was immensely helpful! Thank you! However, a few things need to be clarified to make it easier.

1) Remove the FRONT housing first. The rear housing (around the mirror) is held on with a hidden screw from the back.

2) After removing the three screws under the mirror - pry the housing apart on the outside and stuff paper towels in the gap (top and bottom) to hold it apart and create pressure. Now use a hook, pick, and small screw driver to release the three little white retaining tabs. They are a standard Y shaped retainer so you have an ear on the top and bottom to release. After they release gently wiggle the housing up and down so as not to break the retaining tab on the right side - I got mine off without breaking it.

3) Check the donor motor! My donor motor up and down worked for about 60 seconds and died! The motor assembly is easy enough to take apart - if you got this far you will have no problem

Hope this helps!

Brian
you didn't take any pic?
Old 12-20-09, 08:20 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

PearlPower thanks for putting this up here, is there a chance we can post the pics again? for some reason I dont see them any longer, I am getting ready to tackle this issue on my wifes 05 SC, as she says its a feature she needs :-)

Thanks

CMasten
Old 12-20-09, 09:08 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Will get them up later today.
Old 12-20-09, 02:09 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Both my left and right mirrors only tilt half way down when going into reverse. My 04 SC only has 20K on it. Your telling me BOTH mirrors are broken? Seems very unlikely and more like a setting is off???? Am I wrong?
Old 12-21-09, 02:13 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
HUH? Who is telling you a thing? I don't see a prior post from you on this subject. If you do not feel your mirrors are defective , so be it.

Pics are back up.
I'm asking you that question; do you think they are defective or is there a setting to position the mirrors in the fully downward position? I don't own mulitple SC's to compare to, maybe factory they don't motorize all the way down.
Old 12-21-09, 02:48 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by loveslexus
I'm asking you that question; do you think they are defective or is there a setting to position the mirrors in the fully downward position? I don't own mulitple SC's to compare to, maybe factory they don't motorize all the way down.
What exactly is the issue? Mirrors do not go down at all via buttons? In reverse? Either? Basically if a typical average 5'6" person was sitting in the car, the mirrors should be able to go down enough to see the rear wheel area.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 04-05-10 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 04:01 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great thread, very instructive, thanks for sharing !
Old 12-22-09, 12:05 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loveslexus
Both my left and right mirrors only tilt half way down when going into reverse. My 04 SC only has 20K on it. Your telling me BOTH mirrors are broken? Seems very unlikely and more like a setting is off???? Am I wrong?
I believe Pearlpower was saying his mirror wouldn't return from the half-way down position, not that they should go farther. Yours sound like they're working normally... about half-way down is correct.

This thread is about replacing the gears/motor in the mirror housing when they cease to rotate the mirror half-way down (or back up,) or operate in an inconsistent clicky fashion. (The gears are plastic and they wear down.)

This is important because Lexus does not perform this repair. They will only replace the entire mirror housing at a truly exhorbitant cost.

Does that clear things up?

Last edited by Roofless; 12-22-09 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-22-10, 10:23 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this post. My passenger mirror stopped working up/down. I bought a donor side mirror on Ebay for $70, practiced taking the donor mirror apart using the pictures, gutted it for parts and then tackled disassembly on my car mirror. After reassembly, my car works perfect again. Took me about an hour and a half total. Couldn't have done it without this great thread.

Last edited by Poqman; 01-22-10 at 12:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Poqman:
DJHydrogen (02-19-20), rickeye (01-27-20)
Old 04-02-10, 10:10 PM
Alterious
Driver

this is an awesome tread! i just got done replacing my driver side mirror's motor. Thanks again! :woot
Old 10-17-12, 12:03 AM
Waliy
Driver School Candidate

hi to all CL members, first of all im a new comer in this forum. ive been viewing many forums especially sc's on CL. straight to the point, i have problem with my passenger side,side mirror. when i press the fold button from the console both side mirrors fold inwards well no problem with that,but then when i pressed it again to normalize it, the passenger side mirror went all the way outwrds, there were some clicking sound when it come to the normal position then continues to fold more outwards. can anyone tell me the problem and how to fix it DIY? or should i just buy new ones to replace them. thanks.
Old 10-17-12, 01:46 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an issue with my passenger side mirror a couple of weeks ago.

Folded in OK, but didn't go back out all the way.

Next time I drove the car it was fine. I did "exercise" it 10 times or so giving it manual assistance until it was fine. Not had it since (but then I only fold them when parking in the street which isn't often).

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-22-14, 06:15 PM
Giambalvo
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC 430 side mirror r/r

Photos and instructions were great. However, front frame would not separate no matter how hard I pried. Any more tips?

Quick Reply: Anatomy of a side mirror