SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sc 430 Availability

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-01, 01:37 AM
ORIOLE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Sc 430 Availability

I purchased my new SC 430 in Nov 01. I actually was at the dealer to make an appointment to get my oil changed on my GS 300. I walked into the showroom and the car was sitting there. They actually had choices in a number of colors. I was dumbfounded at how nice they looked. Needless to say I did not make the oil change appointment. Instead I worked a deal on my new car. The dealer told me that you can't get them in the Mainland (I live in Honolulu). I figured he was blowing smoke to get me in the car. A couple of weeks later I was in Mrytle Beach S.C. (golf trip) and Tampa FL (business) and both dealers there had 8 month waiting lists. I am puzzled why the dealer on Oahu has cars available. This is convertible heavan. I drove by the dealer tonight and saw two silver SC's sitting in the showroom. I ought to start an export business for those of you that are waiting so long. I love driving the car around the island. Great weather for the top down. Lot's of looks and comments. I really enjoy this car. Safe driving to you all.
Old 12-15-01, 07:10 PM
RodF
Pole Position

I had exactly the same experience here in Hawaii. Walked in to look at the car and put the deposit down that day. Had it in my garage 2 days later. I posted earlier about the availability of the cars here. I understand the dealer is sending cars out to mainland purchasers as well. I think that our dealership here is a long-standing Lexus/Toyota dealer with a good allocation.

If anyone is interested, email me and I'll hook you up with the guy I bought my car from.
Old 12-18-01, 02:51 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I lived in Hawaii for 11 years (left for the 2nd time 5 years ago unfortunately) and bought my first SC300 from Lexus of Hawaii when they were still on Ala Moana back in '95. I'd bet the difference in availability is that all Toyota dealerships in the state of Hawaii are part of Servco and they have the Lexus dealerships as well in the State. Servco has a unique relationship directly with Toyota and Lexus in Japan -- not North America. They deal direct with the real factory unlike here on the mainland. Notice that there are differences in extended warranty terms, etc with the same car in Hawaii or on the mainland -- look in the owners manual for example and you'll see they make specific reference to differences in phone numbers for emergency service (appears on my SC430 Hawaii is using the same 800 number as the mainland -- at last!). Also, when I brought my SC300 back to the mainland, the VIN was not in the North America database -- they had to do a lot of tracking and manually input into the North America database -- the VIN was even a digit shorter for some odd reason than the same car purchased on the mainland. Anyway, lots of trivia, but I believe that Hawaii dealing with Japan directly has a lot to do with availability differences.
Old 12-18-01, 05:32 PM
RodF
Pole Position

That explanation makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-22-01, 12:20 AM
ORIOLE
Driver School Candidate

RodF/BertL,
You are right. Completely agree. I bought my first Lexus in Guam and they had a similar deal as in Hawaii. I had to get my warranty transferred when I went to the States. I bought another two Lexus' in Virginia and then I had to transfer my warranty from the mainland to Hawaii. I had no problems and the dealers involved at all locations did not treat me any differently than they did if I had bought the car from them. This is my fourth Lexus. I think I need to stop here. Where do I go from here? I upgraded my way as far as I can.

P.S. I saw a Red SC driving around the convention center today. Was that you RodF?

Old 12-22-01, 05:32 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Nope - Mine is Silver.

I did, however, see a white SC430 in the Kahala area by Times a little while ago. Had the top down and I pulled up next to it at the stop light. Lady and a man in the car looked over and said "nice car".

That wouldn't have been you, Oriole?

Last edited by RodF; 12-22-01 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-23-01, 12:20 AM
ORIOLE
Driver School Candidate

Talking

RodF, I have not been beside another SC430 to date. I may see one as I drive along but not next to one another. I am often in the Kahala by the mall as I live in Hawaii Kai. Hope to run into you one day.
Old 12-23-01, 05:27 PM
RodF
Pole Position

If I see a white SC430, I'll wave!
Old 12-25-01, 03:24 PM
evictor
Driver School Candidate

For any of you in the Southern California area who are looking for the SC-430, I was at Longo Lexus in El Monte buying an LS-430 for my wife, and they had received an allotment of over 30 SC-430s for December and still had quite a few available. I have been dealing with their Internet Manager, Jim Brown (626-926-5691). They are an outstanding dealership with the best pricing available.
Old 12-26-01, 05:10 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm ... so what's the story

Is Toyota exporting to the USA more than the 10,000 or so SC430's as originally reported? Or have many of the people who ordered one cancelled their orders?

I was under the impression that virtually every one imported had a buyer.
Old 12-26-01, 01:20 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

When a manufacturer says that so many cars are sold, it means sold to their dealer network. This means their entire production was spoken for by the dealers. It does not mean that there are that many firm orders from us consumers.

For a hot car like the SC 430 it is not unusual for individuals to place orders from many dealerships, and take the first one available that is acceptable to them, or to increase their chances to get the special color/options they desire. Then the will cancel their orders with all the other dealerships. Beause of this the "waiting list" ofter evaporates rather quickly.

I remember when people were stepping all over each other to get such hot cars as Jag XK's, Miatas, C-5 Corvettes, BMW Roadster's. These cars are now readily available, an with substantial discounts from their dealers.

Hot cars now are AMG Mercedes models, BMW M 3 Convertables, and the upcoming 03 Viper. Viper is only available to existing Viper owners with special certificates.