SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trunk won't open and top won't open... anyone had this happen to them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 05:15 PM
sas0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk won't open and top won't open... anyone had this happen to them?

Hi,

I have a 2002 SC430 that just came out of the garage for the winter... I reattached the battery, the car started fine, runs fine, but I notice the trunk won't release with the trunk-release button next to the gas tank-release switch. I had to use the emergency release in the center console.

I spent a few hours checking the switch to make sure it works with an ohmeter, checking the mechanicals at the latch, making sure there's some voltage going to the trunk-release actuator. I couldn't figure it out... or find anything obvious.

Then I tried to put the top down and found that doesn’t want to work now... it worked fine last fall. I just get the flashing red light when I hit the 'open' top switch. I have the liner pulled back, I checked the switch on the rear trunk curtain and it seems to work. I tried checking fuses but didn’t find any blown…

Has anyone had a problem like this? I feel like the two problems, trunk not releasing and top not retracting might be related.

I thought maybe the car sensed that the trunk was open when it wasn't, but the open door light goes off when you shut the trunk.

If you had this happen before or have any thoughts... thanks!
Old 05-28-07, 06:24 PM
sas0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes and then reconnecting the battery seems to have fixed my issue. I'm not sure what was 'reset' when the battery was reattached, but I'm happy I don't have to visit the dealer.

I'm now able to 'pop' the trunk and open/close the top no problem. I was reading this thread when I saw that disconnecting the battery might work.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.
Old 06-02-07, 08:33 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a peripherally-related thought ...
If your garage has an electical outlet, why not hook up a Battery Tender while the car is in storage? I've been doing that for the six years I've owned my '02 with no untoward effects.

I attached the battery end of its two-part cable to the battery posts and left it there so I never have to touch the battery again. When I put the car away for the winter, I simply plug in the Battery Tender end of the two-part cable to the part that's connected to the battery.

As my evil Junior High shop teacher used to say, "No pain, no strain; no fuss, no muss".

http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_2
Old 06-05-07, 11:03 AM
iamcdn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to my 2002. After panic set in I discovered a button inside the glove box (inside on the left) which had been bumped. I guess its there for valet parking guys preventing trunk access. Once I turned this on again, all was well for the trunk release and top down action!
Hope this works.

iamcdn
The following users liked this post:
NetProphet (04-03-23)