SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Clear Corners.. Done

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 10:37 AM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cut out the lens. It doesn't even have to be close to the shape you want. That will come later. Just make sure that it is bigger than the light. This will make it easier to glue.

I used 5 min epoxy (cause i wanted them done now..) and because there is a slight arc to the light, you will need some kind of rig or clamps to hold the lens down as it drys. I used two "Objects" to hold the lens and used more "stuff" on top of the light to hold it down.

Ok, now here's the trick that I learned making the second one. If you use Epoxy or other "hard and fast drying glue" besure to put a big enough bead on the light so that it will cover the whole surface but not too much that it will smash to the inside. We want glue inbetween the light and the lens. No air pockets, no bubbles but we don't want it to smash on the inside. If done right, it will look you bought them, if not (like mine) well you really won't notice the air bubbles or imperfections once on the car and at 5 feet. So don't sweat it but this is where it counts... Also once you put some weight on it or clamp it down, besure you see a little bit of glue coming out of the side of it. If not apply a bit more so we will have a perfect seal. If you do have a opening after glueing, besure to seal it up with more glue. Any excess will just be ground off so don't sweat using too much to seal it up. If you notice glue on the inside, well now is the time to turn back. Peel it up if you can and start over (you'll probably need a new lens tho).
Attached Thumbnails Clear Corners.. Done-ccdiy5sml.jpg  

Last edited by hipendicul; 04-16-07 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 10:44 AM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once dry, just trim it using a sanding wheel on a dremel and sand it flush with the side of the lamp and you are done.

Then just reinstall and admire.

Note: your first one may not come out as good as your second one but like I said, once installed you won't notice. Also besure to check the seal of your new lens. I poured water in mine and checked for leaks..

Picture note: I circled in red where I didn't have enough glue. Notice how it barely sealed. But too much is even worse, so just take your time when your putting the bead on. And even while this was my first light, you still won't see it on the car unless your looking right at my light and no one does this...
Attached Thumbnails Clear Corners.. Done-ccdiy6sml.jpg  
Old 04-16-07, 11:05 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I see alot of corner lights and pms coming your way LOL
Old 04-16-07, 11:34 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken,

Looks great on this DIY clear corner! If i don't have the LED clearcorner already, I would have drive over to your place right now and ask you to make one for me! Nice stuff!
Old 04-16-07, 02:40 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks good Ken. Too bad you wont be making the meet.
Old 04-16-07, 03:04 PM
EddierRo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant wait to do this. Thanks!!
Old 04-21-07, 09:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow this is awesome stuff ken, great job!!!! seems like i have a lot to do
Old 05-04-09, 02:29 PM
jgreezy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone please sticky this thread
Old 05-11-11, 06:54 PM
MajorOOHRA
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Very nice thanks for sharing, so I was wondering do we have to use an amber bulb, or could we use a clear, or even a blue bulb? I like the thought of blue but I think I may run a risk being busted.. any thoughts?

Semper Fidelis
Old 05-11-11, 07:20 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

herragge
i fully agree with you mike's work is flawless. mike just sent the dual function ones your taking about to try out and see if i like them and what do i think. alot of work went into them, i can see that. mike also is making my tailights up in led's. mike is also making up my new headlights with leds also. you have to pay if you want something right and flawless. thats what i'm paying for, time and his knowledge, thats just the way it is. mike puts alot of time in the work he dose and his work shows it. to me its call business, i would do the same thing. i'm in the oil business and i'm in it to make money. its called what the market will bear.
gene

Last edited by bacardi; 05-11-11 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-12-11, 03:21 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

This is huge...gotta get mine, too! I will be looking around for an alternate material for the lens. But this one sure looks good already.
Old 05-12-11, 07:40 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

very nice, have you ever considered removing the side markers from the equation, molding in that side marker slots from the bumpers?
Old 05-13-11, 09:28 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

US DOT requires manufacturers who sell their vehicle in the US to have orange side markers at the front and red at the rear.
Old 05-13-11, 12:03 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
US DOT requires manufacturers who sell their vehicle in the US to have orange side markers at the front and red at the rear.
true. i dont recall any state that does inspection, ever enforcing the side marker law
Old 05-13-11, 12:11 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the.wong.k
true. i dont recall any state that does inspection, ever enforcing the side marker law
i hope that's true...i tinted mine all black and took out the bulbs lol

Quick Reply: Clear Corners.. Done