SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lemoned

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-01, 12:09 PM
silversc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Lemoned

well, my 2 previous SC430's- Both were Lemon Lawed out-. One was a replacement for the 1st lemon- second was bought back at full price + by Lexus.
I must say it is a relief not having to deal with all the crap and attitude I received at my Lexus dealer- felt like I bought a car at some low end credit-used car dealer- you know the type.
Well it takes a very long time to build a reputation, but it goes downhill very fast.
And please, don't tell me I am the only unly one to have 2 sc430's that rattled- there are many more-
good luck .
Old 11-17-01, 12:16 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sad to hear that you have had so much troubles.
Old 11-17-01, 01:52 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You got 2 SC's that were Lemon-Lawed because of rattling?!

Jesus! That means EVERY Ford, Chevy, Jeep, Chrystler, etc. must be Lemon-Lawable...

I haven't heard of anyone getting even 1 SC430 Lemon-Lawed...
Old 11-17-01, 03:10 PM
TMitchell
Driver

Where is this dealership that gave you full price + because your car had a rattle? I would sure like to give them my business.
Old 11-17-01, 04:12 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by TMitchell
Where is this dealership that gave you full price + because your car had a rattle? I would sure like to give them my business.
When your car is recalled via the lemon law the dealership doesn't really have much to do with it. The manufacturer has to rebuy the vechile. In this case, you'd get a check from Lexus, or Toyota Motor Company. The specific reasons, or qualifications of, a vehicle that allow it to be recalled under the lemon law vary from state to state.

-Nick

Last edited by LexRX; 11-17-01 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-17-01, 04:32 PM
RodF
Pole Position

My only question is if you've lemoned out twice with a Lexus, where do you go from there? Which other manufacturer is known for better consistent quality than Lexus?

Last edited by RodF; 11-17-01 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-17-01, 04:58 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by genearch
Sorry, something isn't making sense:

In This Thread you said:

"Thanks for all the e-mails- but it has just been sold.

Enjoy your SC's. "

So what is is? If it was "lemon lawed" you sure weren't singing that tune then.

Something doesn't add up
Gene,

I think he was talking about his car cover in the quote but i'm curious too how 2 SC's could get Lemon Lawed.. I guess I am not that familar with the law itself or why it wasn't mentioned before.. Oh well thankfully my SC is fine and rattle free (Knock on wood)
Old 11-17-01, 06:24 PM
TMitchell
Driver

Does anyone know Silversc430, that can verify his story. I realize that I may be a little more cynical than the average person, but I find it very hard to believe that he had two SC430s lemon lawed out for a rattle.
Old 11-17-01, 06:28 PM
silversc430
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I was talking about selling my car cover that I no longer had any use for.
I was one of the 1st to get an SC and defended it on other boards and sang its praises- untill it lemoned= they gave me a new one after 6 months of aggrivation and guess what- same roof rattle and a dash rattle thrown in for free.
So, before you come riding in on your high horse again, realize what I have been put through by the - believe it or not- not so nice, customer oriented, people at the Lexus dealer. In fact, I was told by them that they would sell my car(s) without notifying the new buyer of its history.
Oh and did I mention that while the 2nd car was in the shop the dented and scratched the entire drivers side? And guess what? I was told, we should never of told you, we should've just painted it and you would never have known...also that they would not be foolish and tell the next owner that the car was repainted.

Well , I sang the praises of Lexus loud and strong for too long- untill I found out what the real personality was. And guess what guys..when you pay $70k for a car it shouldn't rattle-
And , yes they can sell my cars as they made these deals with me befor any Lemon ruling took effect.

Last edited by silversc430; 11-17-01 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-17-01, 06:36 PM
silversc430
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

TMitchell,
Yes, I have nothing to do but to make up 8 months of aggrivation.
If you check the Edmund's board you can trace my history with both my SC430's under Silversc430 and Carman47.

BTW just bought an M3 conv and awaitng new 745il.

Good luck guys- I see that unless I fit in to your love in with the car I am not regarde well. Too bad, I could have offered lots of advice with all I have been through to some of you who may get the rattle deamons one day.

Enjoy the SC. I only wish I would have been able to. It was a beautiful car- just had enoug of the B.S. from the dealer and the rattles.

Last edited by silversc430; 11-17-01 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-17-01, 09:35 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

silversc430, sorry you had such bad luck with the SC430. I know it can ruin you experience with a vehicle manufacturer. I had to go through having a vechile recalled through the lemon law myself. Not easy to do - very long and drawn out. If you do get a 745i, come tell us how it is. I know I would love to hear about it from a new owner. Odd styling, but so many gadgets!

-Nick
Old 11-18-01, 10:56 AM
MJB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Silversc430,

Could you be more specific about the roof rattles, please?

I ask because I have begun to notice a slight - but irritating - rattle just above my right ear (I am in the UK, driving right hand side).

In a car which is otherwise so quiet, it's beginning to annoy me. Not enough to want to get rid of the car, but enough to worry me that it'll get worse.

Could you describe how yours started / developed.

I've done 1400 miles and I think I first noticed the sound around 1000 miles. If I open the window a tiny bit it goes away for a while, then returns.

Not good!

Martin
Old 11-18-01, 04:31 PM
silversc430
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that is exactly where it statrs- in my case, just above and behind my left ear- then as it gets louder, you can hear it on the opposite side as well. The rattle will get louder as time goes on and as you lower and raise your roof. There is no fix for it although many have been tried. They will tell you they have a new spring , insulation, replace the rear window and rear roof panel+++, they don't work. I was told that most if not all will develop this rattle as time goes on.
I hope yours does not get as bad as mine did- The rattles inmy first SC started at about 500 miles, in my second at 200 miles. It seems that the sun or heat from it worsen the problem.
Good luck

Last edited by silversc430; 11-18-01 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-18-01, 05:51 PM
FirstJapCar
Driver School Candidate

Default Convertible Car Rattle

Hmmm.. I've been reading this line on the lemoned out SC430's. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1) The very early SC430's a more likely prone to early production problems.

2) Convertible cars (I don't care if it is a Geo Metro Convertible or Bentley Convertible) it will have some flex meaning rattle is possible.

I, for one, previously owned a BMW Z3 Convertible and would NOT go back to BMW after the crap I went through with that car and it's various problems. Don't get me wrong because I absolutely loved my Z3 the first 14K miles... but after that, it went quickly down hill. The window motors had to be replaced 3 times, the driver's door sometimes would stick and not let me in, replaced door lock lever twice but problem came back, and there was a lot of flex so there were a lot of noticable rattle sounds so the radio just got turned up.

I am keeping my finger's crossed for SilverSC430 because if the Lexus was unacceptable, that M3 convertible will cause him all kinds of problems is my bet since they use the same components for all their cars. ...and the 745 will loose over half its value within the first year. (something I doubt happens with most Lexus vehicles.. much less the SC430).

Old 11-18-01, 06:45 PM
RodF
Pole Position

MJB -

I had experienced that same rattle one afternoon. Luckily, for me it was just a matter of pushing up the right visor snug, and it stopped. I imagine that you've probably already checked all of that, but it's worth a shot...

Quick Reply: Lemoned