SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cleaning Glass

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-01, 05:45 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Cleaning Glass

Now that some folks here are talking of keeping their SCs clean, maybe some of you can advise me on cleaning the windows.

I've just about given up on cleaning any glass (car, house, mirrors, eyeglasses, etc) without leaving streaks - regardless of the glass cleaner claims. Does anyone have any foolproof method/materials that will help me?

Here's lookin' atcha.

BTW - has anyone found out how to even GET to the back window?
Old 11-17-01, 01:43 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Silver ...

I used newspaper on the interior windshield and it took me a half hour to get the newsprint off the headliner. Yeah, I know ... I was supposed to be cleaning the window, not the headliner, but I had a little overlap there - I'll just have to be more careful in the future.

I'm really sorry that you had such a rattle problem with your SC (two SCs?!). I know it's gotta be maddening putting up with it. When I'm riding over old, and I mean OLD, two-lane roads, I do hear some rubbing noises and some squeaking where different materials meet as the car flexes. But I have never heard a rattling sound as if something, such as a bolt or nut, was loose in an enclosed panel. Is that the kind of sound you experienced?
Old 11-17-01, 04:36 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that it isn't bad for the car, but what I've been doing to get to the back window is stopping the roof after retracting 1/2 way.

Last edited by RodF; 11-18-01 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-18-01, 07:53 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb "CHOICES OF WINDOW CLEANER FOR THE SC 430 MODEL"

If I pay $65,000.00 ++ Out The Door for a new SC 430, when it comes to the issue of which window cleaner that would be more appropriate to use on a Luxury / Performance Car costing this much, should I go with a more Traditional / Conservative Cleaner like "The Washington Post", or think out of the box, and go with like, "The New York Times"?

Inquiring Minds Need To Know!

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 11-19-01 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-19-01, 03:56 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Personally, I think something more conservative would do, e.g., The Wall Street Journal - especially in my case; it's Wall Street that has purchased this car for me.

Thanks, Wall Street.
Old 11-19-01, 04:38 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ed - My thoughts exactly!

I can feel your pain, but as we all know.................."No Pain, No Gain!.

Old 11-19-01, 06:00 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

The trick to cleaning glass and not leaving streaks is to continue to wipe tjhe glass dry even after you think it's done. The streaks come at the end of the process and continuing to wipe a few moments more removes them. I gave up on newspaper some time ago because it's not really absorbent and it does leave newsprint on the glass (and other surfaces). I now use paper towels or a clean, LINT FREE rag, like an old T shirt.

Best way to practice is on your bathroom mirror. If you can get your mirror clear of streaks you've got the technique down.

BTW, remember never to use glass cleaner with ammonia on windows with aftermarket tint. You'll kill the plastic tint material.
Old 04-06-05, 01:51 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Stoner

Try Stoner Invisiable Glass Cleaner with a microfiber towel.
Best I've ever used. No streaks! My wife won't use anything
else on all the mirrors in the house. Sam's Club has it now.
Old 07-07-07, 11:02 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

wait, so yes or no on the newspaper?
Old 07-08-07, 08:56 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Stay away from newspaper for the reason I cited in my previous post.

I use Invisible Glass and diapers (clean). I started using diapers to clean my eyeglasses when I saw what a good job they did when my optician used them on my glasses after an adjustment. So now I use them to clean anything glass.

BTW ... Not disposables.
Old 07-08-07, 02:52 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have used the Stoner Invisble Glass (received a complimentary case from the rep) and now use SprayWay from Costco(?) which I prefer. Both work great. I use standard shop towels and I have no streaks.
Old 07-08-07, 10:17 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Hey guys,

I'm a GS owner but was cruising around the SC forum (just fishing around here becuase I'm pushing my dad into an SC430).

Anyway, I use Invisible Glass and newspapers. Then I use a micro fiber towel to wipe away any lint. All of this can purchased at a good auto store and newspaper stand.

(A key to newspaper is keeping it off fabrics, ahem, that includes headliners NiceSC430, and as well, using black and white ONLY newspaper. Also, try not to use newspaper that has lots of ink, which is usually from pictures or etc. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.)
Old 07-08-07, 10:23 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Newspaper works well as I used it years ago-twice, but I have some sort of infliction with rubbing newspaper on glass as well as aluminum foil handling. Both make me cringe to no end and give me serious goose bumps. Nobody could ever figure it out, perhaps some past life event.
Old 07-09-07, 12:27 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

coffee filters
The following users liked this post:
SC430Dad (11-20-22)
Old 07-09-07, 01:22 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

>A key to newspaper is keeping it off fabrics, ahem, that includes headliners NiceSC430<

Yup, but somehow I can't envision interior windshield cleaning akin to surgery. If you can take the time and effort, and achieve the physical contortions it requires to wipe only glass and never touch anything else, then great; I admire you. I can't, so diapers will do for me.

I'll use newspapers on the house windows if I ever get around to cleaning them.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Glass