SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus SC 430 MPG: Real World Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 07:05 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I just did over 2,000 miles on my trip with my V1 and received alerts to slow down several times to avoid those annoying conversations with Officers of the Law. I usually cruised between 85 and 90, but ran it up to 110 (uphill) once, just to see what it would do. So much for that tale that cops stop red cars more frequently than others.
Old 05-07-15, 10:49 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I just did an 800 mile trip from Shreveport, Louisiana to Chicago, Illinois. It took me about 11 hours. Mostly highway. Doing about 75 average mph. Unfortunately I did get a ticket for $120 an hour outside of Chicago for 86 in a 70, or so the jerk of a police officer says. I had my cruise set for 75mph. Overall my gas mileage was about 22.9 mpg. Pretty upset about my ticket, but I guess that's on me. He was hidden, lights off. Radar detector caught him at the last moment. Not happy at all.
....sucks you got a ticket, but glad you made it home safely
Old 05-08-15, 07:11 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shaw
I am a retired cop and if the radar said 86 your doing 86. radar are set at 75 in a 70 zone. after that your speeding. changing tire size and wheel will change your speed on cruise control also. I don't think he's a jerk just doing his job like you do. the radar must be check every 6 months or before and if not you beat the ticket. some laws are for your safey.

Last edited by bacardi11; 05-08-15 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-08-15, 07:21 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree with the retired officer. If a driver is going that fast over the limit, he should expect a ticket. If his detector gave him little warning, then he needs a better one. If he got nabbed by instant-on radar, most detectors offer no protection against that, other than the most sensitive which can give you an alert when the radar is fired at a driver way ahead of you. In none of these cases is the officer a jerk, nor does the effectiveness of the mayor of a nearby city enter into the equation. I go over the limit often, but with discretion and a good detector, and if I get a ticket, I don't whine.

Last edited by tfischer; 05-08-15 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Removed references to deflated NFL footballs.
Old 05-08-15, 07:30 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

tfischer
you 100% on the money. sum detector you can't beat on/off

Last edited by bacardi11; 05-08-15 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-08-15, 10:27 AM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you travel long distance/hours a lot, I suggest using Valentine One + Waze app = best defensive combo against radar or speed trap!!

Last edited by NovaRnder; 05-08-15 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-08-15, 11:11 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

even I use one the Beltronic Digital Radar Laser STI back and front
you could use a gammer but they will know big problem
I think in VA YOU HAVE A BIG PROBLEM CAN'T USE A DETECTOR

Last edited by bacardi11; 05-08-15 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-08-15, 04:16 PM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes bacardi it's illegal to have and use a radar detector in the state of VA but yet a lot of drivers still use them... I admit I used to use it but I haven't for the last 20 years but I'm thinkin of doing it again as soon as I figure out how to install one that's hidden from eye sight from the outside then probably install a switch easily accessible while driving so I can turn it off right away as soon as it's detected (not false alarm) a radar nearby.... lots of speed trap here in VA
Old 05-08-15, 05:40 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I was in a group of 5 cars all pacing together. a car passing me when he must have "instant on" his radar. He specifically singled me out after weeding through the pack. I have 20 inch rims but I doubt that that would cause a 11 mile an hour difference in the spedometer when I set my cruise control at 75 miles an hour. additionally I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 12 years. I very rarely speed and thus am pretty angry about this. I honestly think he tagged the wrong car and saw my SC and pinned it on me.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-08-15 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-08-15, 10:17 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

shawn
when you pay the ticket your saying your speeding.
Old 05-09-15, 01:45 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bacardi11
shawn
when you pay the ticket your saying your speeding.
I don't feel this is necessarily true. That's quite a black and white to see the world (pun completely intended), but rather than debate the ideal of self incrimination and just paying the ticket vs going to court to fight the ticket (with court fees, lawyer, travel time, time lost, etc), I'd rather return this thread to it's topic rather than hijack it for some tangential conversation. As I was saying I was getting 22.9 mpg and I was really weighted down with four extra rims in the car two spare tires plus all my med school books and clothing for six weeks. I feel that anyone that has been noticing their mpg's deceasing should do three things. First, clean the engine air filter breather element. Second, clean the MAF sensor with appropriate MAF cleaner. Third and more time consuming, clean out the throttle body. My plan is to do these things pretty much every oil change from this point forward as it did increase my numbers especially for city driving. I will also use fuel injector cleaner but I have never noticed much of an increase in hard numbers after using fuel injector cleaner and Seafoam in the gas tank in the past.
Old 05-09-15, 02:32 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't feel this is necessarily true. That's quite a black and white to see the world (pun completely intended), but rather than debate the ideal of self incrimination and just paying the ticket vs going to court to fight the ticket (with court fees, lawyer, travel time, time lost, etc), I'd rather return this thread to it's topic rather than hijack it for some tangential conversation. As I was saying I was getting 22.9 mpg and I was really weighted down with four extra rims in the car two spare tires plus all my med school books and clothing for six weeks. I feel that anyone that has been noticing their mpg's deceasing should do three things. First, clean the engine air filter breather element. Second, clean the MAF sensor with appropriate MAF cleaner. Third and more time consuming, clean out the throttle body. My plan is to do these things pretty much every oil change from this point forward as it did increase my numbers especially for city driving. I will also use fuel injector cleaner but I have never noticed much of an increase in hard numbers after using fuel injector cleaner and Seafoam in the gas tank in the past.
Never mind the mileage. How'd you fit all that stuff in an SC?!?!
Old 05-09-15, 11:19 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
...well we know he didn't ride with the top down...lol
Old 05-10-15, 06:39 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just did an 800 mile trip from Shreveport, Louisiana to Chicago, Illinois. It took me about 11 hours. Mostly highway. Doing about 75 average mph. Unfortunately I did get a ticket for $120 an hour outside of Chicago for 86 in a 70, or so the jerk of a police officer says. I had my cruise set for 75mph. Overall my gas mileage was about 22.9 mpg. Pretty upset about my ticket, but I guess that's on me. He was hidden, lights off. Radar detector caught him at the last moment. Not happy at all.
Aren't there lawyers who specialize in beating speeding tickets in Chicago area? We have them all over Florida. For first offence you usually get court cost and no points with adjudication withheld if you had a clean record. Cost is usually the same as the ticket or even less.

Usually the driver doesn't even need to show up.
Old 05-10-15, 10:01 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rudyH
Originally Posted by texsexlex
...well we know he didn't ride with the top down...lol
Yeah, it was a tight fit. There's was no possible way to put the top down. I've become a pro at packing the SC430 to max capacity and not ruin the interior. It's like a game of Tetris... haha.

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Aren't there lawyers who specialize in beating speeding tickets in Chicago area? We have them all over Florida. For first offence you usually get court cost and no points with adjudication withheld if you had a clean record. Cost is usually the same as the ticket or even less.
Usually the driver doesn't even need to show up.
Yes, you're correct. There are signs everywhere on the highways but since it's my first ticket in over a decade I was offered to do an online DCC-4 course for $40 and no points would be added to my record. So my total would come to $160, still less than court fees, lawyer fees, travel costs, and time lost from work, in my opinion. If I went with one of those "Don't Pay That Ticket," places I feel that they would also take an additional cut. Unless you really think it would be less than the total of $160?

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-10-15 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus SC 430 MPG: Real World Numbers