SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Strut Tower Brace installed-compared to TOM's

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 11:02 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFM
Hey Jimmy - where'd you get the 5 yr alignment warranty?
Thx,
Cecil
Check your pm Cecil!
Old 11-14-06, 02:49 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I am pretty sure I ran the Cuscos on my GS400 at one time only because they were multi piece but they were not stout by any means. In fact I could flex the front bar in my hands and I would rate myself a regular Joe in strength. Perhaps the newer ones are better as I notice a few come in Carbon Fiber. I did check the clearance and it does not appear that the Tein motor would fit up top on this unit either.
I am not too suprised b/c that Cusco STB doesn't look too stout.

I wish I had studied Japanese a little harder while I was in college back in Taiwan. It will make my life a lot easier searching these Japanese web sites.

Here is another STB for our car and it is made by Carbing of Japan.
This Carbing STB seems to solve my problem, but the styling and the white color.... not my cup of tea actually.

Old 11-14-06, 11:08 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by talwang
This Carbing STB seems to solve my problem, but the styling and the white color.... not my cup of tea actually.

Whoa! That caught my attention b/c the color matches our car. I can't really see what the design looks like since that pic's rather small. Got any bigger pics, cost & know where I can get it? Thx mang!
Old 11-15-06, 01:27 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by talwang
I am not too suprised b/c that Cusco STB doesn't look too stout.

I wish I had studied Japanese a little harder while I was in college back in Taiwan. It will make my life a lot easier searching these Japanese web sites.

Yes, interesting. I have not seen that one yet. Not big on the color but paint is cheap.
Old 11-15-06, 01:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lee, the rubbing marks on your toms, are those just marks or the paint actually came off?
Old 07-07-11, 06:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Guys, do not flame me, yes this is OLD...

But wanted to talk about Cusco STB's emntioned here. Been looking if anybody's tried it and dies it rub?

Couple of places sell them $180 + ship but wanted to see one installed.
Old 07-07-11, 06:38 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
STB-Strut Tower Brace

Purchased off Ebay and received within 2 days I finally got around to installing this thing. For lack of a better name I will refer to this STB as ESTB.

First up before anyone asks-this WILL NOT improve your handling under most circumstances-especially on the street. I know I know ,there are those that swear that a STB has just changed their life-not so! Perhaps on the track things would be different.

That said I have been running a Toms STB for some time now for the aesthetics. It looks nice under the hood. But...it shares a problem with most want to be STB’s on the market in that it is a one piece design and that it is not adjustable.

Comparison:

AESTHETICS:
Tom's stands out under the hood-its silver. It looks good to boot. But the Toms STB rubs on the engine cover eventually wearing off the paint on both the engine cover and the STB itself-see pics.
The ESTB is a 5 piece setup and is very business like in appearance. It is also available with a silver finish.
WINNER: Toss up

FIT/FINISH:
No question the ESTB is superior here as it is a multipiece design like a STB should be. The Toms STB is a very tight fit over the strut mounting bolts and sometimes will even require the car to be lifted to move the bolts around to get it to fit. Other times the Toms STB needs to be bumped hard to fit over the strut tower bolts while at the same time rubbing on the threads of the bolts while going down. The Toms also rubs on the hood lining which wears away the silver paint. At least mine does. Look carefully and you will see the wear on the engine cover and Toms brace.
The ESTB has 2 hats that bolt right on. Two brackets bolt up to the hats and then the main brace is installed. Very clean and excellent fit. No rubbing anywhere. Perfect with plenty of clearance.
WINNER: ESTB with ease

STRUCTURE:
By looking at the pictures one would think the ESTB is flimsy with only 2 bolts holding the main brace onto the brackets. Yes there are two bolts but they are stout and the fit in the bracket is xlnt and even reinforces the entire setup. Pretty solid setup.

The Toms is welded together with decent welds.

The ESTB weighs in at 7.8 lbs vs 6.8 lbs for the Tom's brace and it feels it. The Tom's brace is hollow vs. the solid structure of the ETSB.

WINNER: Toss up depending on what your opinion is. Both are stout and will box your front end.

FUNCTIONALITY:
This is the primary reason I am not a fan of the Tom's or any other one piece STB. Any time they are removed the alignment of the car could change from the shift of the upper strut bearing assembly as there is a little give there though not much. Also by removing the nuts and installing them over and over places wear on the strut mounting bolts-something you do not want to wear out. I did this on my GS.
A multipiece unit just unbolts with the hats still securing the strut mounts so there is not chance of losing your alignment. As often as I change intakes, or adjust the TPS, or change plugs, this is a real plus for me.

WINNER: ESTB

Well, there you have it. Both are great units. Tom’s goes for $300.00+shipping and the ESTB was purchased for $160.00+shipping.

PICS:

COMPARISON

Resting at home after a nice day of mods
Pics, what happened to the Pics!! Need to see the pics again....please.
Old 07-07-11, 07:07 AM
irokdastar
Pole Position

Do you have the link of the item i would like to buy it . thank you
Old 07-07-11, 07:53 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the link to the Cusco Bar:

http://shop.edoperformance.com/cusco...0-p-12726.html
Old 07-07-11, 08:18 AM
westxype
Rookie

I have the type 1 style bar for my xb when I totaled it. Seemed to withstand the damage and didn't bend. Not a bad price tho. The bar doesn't even have the cusco logo on it. It comes with a sticker. I would think it's the same for the SC.
Old 07-07-11, 08:53 AM
irokdastar
Pole Position

i checked out the web site and its said sc430 and gs400 . is the gs400 same size as sc430?
Old 07-07-11, 10:25 AM
mandyfig

Good question. Probably. The key is the center to center distance of the strut towers.
Old 07-07-11, 10:28 AM
irokdastar
Pole Position

HMMMM maybe its the same. how can we find out? do they have a us number.
Old 07-07-11, 10:34 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would buy this if it helped handeling...but they seemed to point out this does not help in street driving conditions and alas no sways.
Old 07-07-11, 10:39 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by irokdastar
HMMMM maybe its the same. how can we find out? do they have a us number.
There are US suppliers for Cusco, same thing, same part #, do a search.

Quick Reply: New Strut Tower Brace installed-compared to TOM's