SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Prices of used SC430s dropping due to other HT convertibles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 07:21 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prices of used SC430s dropping due to other HT convertibles?

Hi everyone
I was wondering what you guys think of chances of the used SC430 prices dropping by summer or winter next year 07. The reason I ask is that all these new Hardtop convertibles are comming into the market. VW eos, new MX-5, Volvo, BMW3, etc just to name a few and those are only the new models. Do you think the reason the SC430 demanded such a high price was the "new and innovative" hardtop convertible? If so with all these cheaper hardtop convertibles comming onto the market will the "innovative" hardtop which made the SC430 so pricey now ,make a used model much cheaper as it becomes more commonplace?

What do you guys think?
Old 10-23-06, 07:53 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn808
Hi everyone
I was wondering what you guys think of chances of the used SC430 prices dropping by summer or winter next year 07. The reason I ask is that all these new Hardtop convertibles are comming into the market. VW eos, new MX-5, Volvo, BMW3, etc just to name a few and those are only the new models. Do you think the reason the SC430 demanded such a high price was the "new and innovative" hardtop convertible? If so with all these cheaper hardtop convertibles comming onto the market will the "innovative" hardtop which made the SC430 so pricey now ,make a used model much cheaper as it becomes more commonplace?

What do you guys think?
It's all about the market??? The SC430 is a low volume, sporty, luxury vehicle like the SL500 except even lower production. Someone in the market for a Lexus hardtop convertable would not even be looking at a MX-5. I bought my 2003 a couple of months ago with only 11,800 miles on it as a CPO vehicle at the local Lexus dealer for $45K, I have all the options including the chrome custom wheels, car would cost $70K new. I kind of thought it was cool getting a brand new looking SC430 with a better then new warranty and under 12K miles for $25K less then a new one. If that is what you mean by prices dropping thne I think they already have
Old 10-23-06, 08:44 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There has been a new breed of "hard top drop tops" lately in the last several years since I got my '03. Every year since then, I've noticed that this model has maintained it's diligence w/ the technology, luxury, performance and accomadatable interior design for around 65-67K new. PB Edition is a little more due to it's exclusive badging and representation.

For newer models, the prices haven't gone down but rather increased 2-3% over the last 4 years since the introduction of the SC430.

In '02, I think I saw one and it seemed unique and I thought I would never own a Lexus in my life. There weren't many on the streets back then.

In '03, I was looking for a sporty vehicle and decided to take the plunge and get it after testing driving a S2000, C5, 330i and 350z which seemed to be of less luxurious and rather space contraining in the cabin.
I notice this year was the year that people were realizing this is a spcial car and I started to see a few more of them.

In '04, prices seemed to hover around the 65K range with no major increase. There's some more on the streets.

In '05, prices jumped a few grand and still I was seeing more of the '02-'03 models more frequently.

In '06, I noticed that there's a balance of the older models (slightly higher)and newer models as people are becoming more aware of the special things that this car has to offer.

The word is out and since '02, this car deserves a gold medal (regardless of year) because it has lived up to the design engineers' expecations, the company's and that of the customer despite what the other critics have pointed out over the years.

So if you're in the market for a SC430 of any year, there will be a price range that your budget will be able to handle.
Old 10-23-06, 08:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it will go down too much. It's still rare and considered a luxury cruiser. It is not a roadster or a sports car, so it stands on a league of its own.

The EOS, MX-5, Volvo C70 (?), G6, 3-Series, SL/SLK, and XLR do not compare at all to the SC. The first four are not as luxurious, the next three are more about performance. Even an IS hardtop convertible will not be in the same league/category of the SC.

The SC stands alone. Unfortunately, since it is so unique, it does not catch the attentions of performance enthusiasts, budget-minded, nor function-minded. It will "hold" its value because of rarity and pure interest by SC enthusiasts...
Old 10-23-06, 09:29 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shawn808
Hi everyone

What do you guys think?

When I bought my 06 a few months ago, I never even considered nor compared it with the other hardtop convertables. The SC is really in its own special class, just simply stunningly beautiful both outside and inside. So I don't think the other hardtop convertibles out there will put pressure on the SC prices. The SC has a whole lot more going for it.
Old 10-23-06, 09:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I have driven this car less than about 19K miles in 4 years, since this thing should be able to last 400k+ miles, it's possible I may keep this car for life, so who cares
Old 10-23-06, 10:56 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Max707
I bought my 2003 a couple of months ago with only 11,800 miles on it as a CPO vehicle at the local Lexus dealer for $45K, I have all the options including the chrome custom wheels, car would cost $70K new. I kind of thought it was cool getting a brand new looking SC430 with a better then new warranty and under 12K miles for $25K less then a new one.
MSRP is a little over $66k & I've never heard of anyone buying remotely close to MSRP (in the last few model years) unless it's a PB edition. With all due respect, I don't know about you but even my gf (who doesn't pay attention to car stuff) can tell there's a huge difference (in terms of looks) with pre-06' vs 06'+ sc430's (headlights, front bumper, foglights, tail lights & wheel shape/design). Since you said, "it was cool getting a brand new looking SC430...for $25K less then a new one." And you're half right about "a better then new warranty" b/c CPO Lexus vehicles offer a 3-yr (vs. a 4-yr warranty) but you do get a total of 100k miles.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The EOS, MX-5, Volvo C70 (?), G6, 3-Series, SL/SLK, and XLR do not compare at all to the SC. The first four are not as luxurious, the next three are more about performance.
Very true! My sister has an SLK350. While it may be faster & handle better, it's no where near a luxury hardtop convertible as an sc430 (assuming that's what you are looking for).

Last edited by Yeah!; 10-23-06 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-24-06, 07:28 AM
Samanator
Rookie

Why I believe that valsue will be retained:

1. The others are not competitors really to the SC.
2. The way Lexus packages the SC with really no options adds to the value retention. Since most residual values are based off of the base MSRP for the trim level plus a small comp. for otions this helps the SC. German cars since they are fighting a battle of labor cost, dollar-mark-yen values use a low base price with piles of options to be competitive in the market on base prices. This is not as good for value retention.

3. Lexus quality reputation...The lack of the same for most of the other brands.

4. Supply and demand...limited production retains value verses build as many as you can.
Old 10-24-06, 07:48 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yeah!
MSRP is a little over $66k & I've never heard of anyone buying remotely close to MSRP (in the last few model years) unless it's a PB edition. With all due respect, I don't know about you but even my gf (who doesn't pay attention to car stuff) can tell there's a huge difference (in terms of looks) with pre-06' vs 06'+ sc430's (headlights, front bumper, foglights, tail lights & wheel shape/design). Since you said, "it was cool getting a brand new looking SC430...for $25K less then a new one." And you're half right about "a better then new warranty" b/c CPO Lexus vehicles offer a 3-yr (vs. a 4-yr warranty) but you do get a total of 100k miles.

Very true! My sister has an SLK350. While it may be faster & handle better, it's no where near a luxury hardtop convertible as an sc430 (assuming that's what you are looking for).
Mine has the custom chrome wheels that the dealers sell that look better then the ugly wheels Lexus puts on them. So if you bought a new one and put the good lookin wheels on, the list price would be around $70K. I've looked at the new ones and I still don't notice any difference in the looks. I guess if you parted a old next to a new and really looked at them you would notice some difference. No way a "normal" person would be able to tell a 2002 from a 2007 setting in a parking lot. You bought a new one and if you keep it forever then fine, but you will get your butt kicked on tradein in a couple of years over buying one a few years old and letting someone else take the hit. The SC430 that was introduced in 2002 model year is 99% the same as the new ones that Lexus is selling today.
Old 10-24-06, 09:42 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Mine has the custom chrome wheels that the dealers sell that look better then the ugly wheels Lexus puts on them. So if you bought a new one and put the good lookin wheels on, the list price would be around $70K. I've looked at the new ones and I still don't notice any difference in the looks. I guess if you parted a old next to a new and really looked at them you would notice some difference. No way a "normal" person would be able to tell a 2002 from a 2007 setting in a parking lot. You bought a new one and if you keep it forever then fine, but you will get your butt kicked on tradein in a couple of years over buying one a few years old and letting someone else take the hit. The SC430 that was introduced in 2002 model year is 99% the same as the new ones that Lexus is selling today.
I agree that MSRP would be a couple thousand dollars more w/bling bling chrome wheels but again, how many people buy at MSRP nowadays for this car (besides the PB edition)? Pre-05' wheels look pretty McNasty but the 06'+ oem wheels look pretty nice to me but I would still want bigger then 18's on this car. My gf is as "normal" as can be in terms of a regular consumer looking to buy a car. She saw an 05' one day & then the next day we went to another Lexus dealership to see an 06'. The first words outta her mouth was something along the lines of, "Ok, I don't want an 05' sc430 since I can tell there's a huge difference w/the exterior." I do agree if she gets rid of it anytime soon then she'll take a huge hit (since we purchased it brand new) but she doesn't plan on getting rid of this car for awhile (as in at least 5-7 years) since she absolutely loves this car. I wonder if she loves it more then me sometimes, lol.

The 02' sc430 is not "99% the same as the new ones that Lexus is selling today." The newer models have the following:

Nav was optional back in 02' & finally made a standard feature in 03'
Bluetooth integrated in the nav screen (starting in 05')
New & improved generation nav (05')
Different shocks & springs for an improved ride aka less harshness (05')
6-Speed Auto tranny - much improved & no lag (06')
Better looking headlights (06')
Adaptive Front Lighting aka headlights turn w/the steering wheel direction; they really help out at night time in an unfamiliar area (06')
Reshaped front bumper & foglights (06')
Restyled tail lights (06')
Knee airbags (07')
Single wiper (07')

I'm sure I am missing a few other items but you get my point that an 02' sc430 is not "99% the same as the new ones that Lexus is selling today." I'm not trying to bash on pre-05' sc430's. I'm just trying to set the record straight that they're not 99% the same as an 02' model year. Regardless of what model year you have, enjoy your sc430 & the great customer service & reliability Lexus is known for.

Last edited by Yeah!; 10-24-06 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-24-06, 03:00 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

I agree that MSRP would be a couple thousand dollars more w/bling bling chrome wheels but again, how many people buy at MSRP nowadays for this car (besides the PB edition)? Pre-05' wheels look pretty McNasty but the 06'+ oem wheels look pretty nice to me but I would still want bigger then 18's on this car. My gf is as "normal" as can be in terms of a regular consumer looking to buy a car. She saw an 05' one day & then the next day we went to another Lexus dealership to see an 06'. The first words outta her mouth was something along the lines of, "Ok, I don't want an 05' sc430 since I can tell there's a huge difference w/the exterior." I do agree if she gets rid of it anytime soon then she'll take a huge hit (since we purchased it brand new) but she doesn't plan on getting rid of this car for awhile (as in at least 5-7 years) since she absolutely loves this car. I wonder if she loves it more then me sometimes, lol.

The 02' sc430 is not "99% the same as the new ones that Lexus is selling today." The newer models have the following:

Nav was optional back in 02' & finally made a standard feature in 03'
Bluetooth integrated in the nav screen (starting in 05')
New & improved generation nav (05')
Different shocks & springs for an improved ride aka less harshness (05')
6-Speed Auto tranny - much improved & no lag (06')
Better looking headlights (06')
Adaptive Front Lighting aka headlights turn w/the steering wheel direction; they really help out at night time in an unfamiliar area (06')
Reshaped front bumper & foglights (06')
Restyled tail lights (06')
Knee airbags (07')
Single wiper (07')

I'm sure I am missing a few other items but you get my point that an 02' sc430 is not "99% the same as the new ones that Lexus is selling today." I'm not trying to bash on pre-05' sc430's. I'm just trying to set the record straight that they're not 99% the same as an 02' model year. Regardless of what model year you have, enjoy your sc430 & the great customer service & reliability Lexus is known for.
Let me pose a question. If you did not own a Lexus and you saw a 2006 sitting next to a 2003, if you did notice that the lights were different how would you know which one was the new SC430? The changes that Lexus has made to the SC430 over its model life are very minor cosmetic and personally I don't even notice the difference. I don't like the looks of the new wheels that come stock on the SC430, or the old wheels, but that is all about personal taste, which is very personal. It's kind of the samething with the Mercedes SL500, the 2003 looks like a 2006. I know there are some trim differences like on the SC430 2003 to 2006 comparison but I sure don't notice them. Glad your Lady likes her 2006, great car hope she enjoys the ride.
Old 10-24-06, 09:24 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Let me pose a question. If you did not own a Lexus and you saw a 2006 sitting next to a 2003, if you did notice that the lights were different how would you know which one was the new SC430? The changes that Lexus has made to the SC430 over its model life are very minor cosmetic and personally I don't even notice the difference. I don't like the looks of the new wheels that come stock on the SC430, or the old wheels, but that is all about personal taste, which is very personal. It's kind of the samething with the Mercedes SL500, the 2003 looks like a 2006. I know there are some trim differences like on the SC430 2003 to 2006 comparison but I sure don't notice them. Glad your Lady likes her 2006, great car hope she enjoys the ride.
I would know it's an 06' because I've seen pre-06' sc430's much more often in my neck of the woods hence if I see an 06'+ then it would be pretty obvious mainly due to the headlights looking much different & better. Especially in my part of town since sc430's are everywhere (majority are pre-06'). If I had to take an educated guess, I'd say the ratio of seeing pre-06' vs. 06'+ is 10 to 1. The same goes to my girlfriend who is a "normal" consumer. Again, the moment she saw an 06' (the day after seeing an 05') she said she wanted an 06' since she said the pre-05' headlights were no where as nice looking as the 06' headlights. I would call the re-designed headlights a major cosmetic change. You don't notice the trim differences? I guess you haven't sat inside an 05' or an 06'+ sc430 & utilized it huh? The bluetooth is pretty obvious & the 6-speed tranny is even more obvious (lag issue). Thx & I'm sure you'll enjoy your ride as well.
Old 10-25-06, 06:46 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

I would know it's an 06' because I've seen pre-06' sc430's much more often in my neck of the woods hence if I see an 06'+ then it would be pretty obvious mainly due to the headlights looking much different & better. Especially in my part of town since sc430's are everywhere (majority are pre-06'). If I had to take an educated guess, I'd say the ratio of seeing pre-06' vs. 06'+ is 10 to 1. The same goes to my girlfriend who is a "normal" consumer. Again, the moment she saw an 06' (the day after seeing an 05') she said she wanted an 06' since she said the pre-05' headlights were no where as nice looking as the 06' headlights. I would call the re-designed headlights a major cosmetic change. You don't notice the trim differences? I guess you haven't sat inside an 05' or an 06'+ sc430 & utilized it huh? The bluetooth is pretty obvious & the 6-speed tranny is even more obvious (lag issue). Thx & I'm sure you'll enjoy your ride as well.
Wow I bet Lexus is happy that some consumers see these differences. Funny story on what people notice. I lived in Atlanta for 14 years and use to go to the Braves games. Took my wife to a game and she noticed that at each entrance gate "Atlanta" was miss spelled "Altanta", we figured they just put the signs up and they would fix it ASAP. A couple of weeks later I took her to another game and sure enough the signs were still not spelled correctly. Were talking 30-40 signs. So my wife calls the Braves office the next day to inform them of the spelling error. Well they said the signs had been up for a couple of months and no one had noticed the obvious spelling error. All the signs were corrected by the next game. I think your girl friend is unusual in the fact that she notices the physical (head light) differences between a 2005 and 2006 SC430, trust me most consumers would never notice such a small change. I agree the 6 speed transmission is an improvement and if you are into blue tooth then that is a good thing.
Old 10-25-06, 11:10 AM
gekisai29
Driver

i think what might happen is the lack of tech goodies or lack of a fresh design might cause folks to look elsewhere, so supply & demand becomes more of a factor
Old 10-25-06, 11:22 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Wow I bet Lexus is happy that some consumers see these differences....I think your girl friend is unusual in the fact that she notices the physical (head light) differences between a 2005 and 2006 SC430, trust me most consumers would never notice such a small change. I agree the 6 speed transmission is an improvement and if you are into blue tooth then that is a good thing.
Yes, I'm sure Lexus is very happy. Trust me, she is not "unusual" in terms of being a consumer. In fact, she hates me talking about cars since I talk about it so much. You had asked earlier if we could tell if there's a difference (w/the headlights) if a pre-06' was sitting right next to an 06'+ sc430? As far as we're concern, it's very obvious since the shapes of the headlights are noticeably different. Besides, it's not just the headlights that make it obvious. The front bumper shape is different especially the bling bling chrome strip horizontally across the whole 06'+ bumper. And yes, we're into bluetooth since she can concentrate more on driving aka 2 hands if needed on the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Prices of used SC430s dropping due to other HT convertibles?