SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Run Flats are a joke!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-01, 10:28 AM
therocker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Run Flats are a joke!

I have had my Silver/Ecru Sc 430 for 3 months now. I am in love with this vehicle and I appreciate it every time I'm inside it. I really feel Lexus did their homework on this one. I have also owned 3 of the old Lexus coupes and this new one blows the old model away, IMHO. However, I rarely ever felt any bumps as I was driving the old model. When I drive my new SC convertible, it is as smooth as melted butter except for when I go over a bump. The old one would go over a bump without a real jarring sensation. That is how solid the car was, as is the new one. The difference is that the old one had better tires than my new one. These run flats are so thin, that on a bump, my steering wheel will be jarred. I'm not talking about riding over really large potholes, I'm am talking about small, normal elevations on the road. The ride is so harsh and loud over a bump that my whole body feels jarred as well.

To me this is such a major issue that I am surprised most of us on this forum are not up in arms about it, even though it is mentioned often. I really feel the run flats were a major error on Lexus' part. Sure they are convenient, but it is at the expense of the smoothness of the car. Lexus owners do not expect their cars to drive harshly. If I wanted that sensation I would've purchased a Vette. I wonder how Lexus could let the run flats see the light of day and put it into production. Now I have to spend thousands of dollars to replace these crappy tires. Lexus has already replaced 2 of my run flats, due to nails in the tires. Lexus even knows these tires are subpar, which is why Lexus replaced my run flats free of charge. Lexus has a policy, where if you have run flat damage and you still have at least 75% of your treads left on the tire, they replace it for free. In my case, Lexus would not have had to replace the tires if regular tires were standard,since they would have been patchable unlike the runflats which are never patchable. Does anyone else feel as strongly as I do about this?

Last edited by therocker; 10-17-01 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-17-01, 03:14 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Rocker...I must agree with you, however we are not up in arms for 2 reasons.

1. We feel kind of helpless. When we complain to Dealership they offer no solutions.
2. I cannot but help thinking that LEXUS monitors this forum, and are aware of the situation. They are a class act, and are probably, at this moment thinking of what is the classy, LEXUS way, to offer a solution.

While I enjoy my car for many reasons, the tires are a constant irritant.

This new car is IN NO WAY as solid as my 92 SC 400. Sorry Gene, but the chassis is anything but solid with the top down. Flex is evident on normal driving.

On a positive note the stereo rocks, and while I was originally anti Nav system, I have found it to be very usefull in quite a few situations. I now am a Nav Fan.
Old 10-18-01, 04:22 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

therocker ...
I agree with you. I have had my silver/black since July and I love it. The more I drive it, the more I like it and the longer I look at it, the more attractive it becomes.
The ride on blacktop is smooth as silk and a few concrete roads are tolerable, but on some areas of concrete interstates, the expansion joints are jarring with regular tires, but with run-flats they're just plain murder. Even worse, on other concrete roads around here, expansion joints have been patched with blacktop strips that are a tad higher than the surrounding concrete and not feathered very well. Driving over them is even more jarring and teeth-clenching than regular expansion joints. I'm sure these jolts will eventually result in squeaks and rattles.
I avoid city street utility covers like the plague and when it comes to potholes, forget it - I do everything in my power to avoid them short of running down children.
Old 10-18-01, 04:55 AM
therocker
Rookie

I guess I exagarrated when I said we should be up in arms, but I just felt it was a major flaw in an otherwise near perfect car.
TopLex, I too used to be anti Navagation system, but know I love it and rely on it as well.
Old 10-18-01, 05:58 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TOPLEXS

2. I cannot but help thinking that LEXUS monitors this forum, and are aware of the situation. They are a class act, and are probably, at this moment thinking of what is the classy, LEXUS way, to offer a solution.

FYI:

Lexus HQ does not officially monitor ANY open forum website. Though individuals from HQ do frequent many websites and provide us with info periodically, it's not what they do. The main reason is that none of the information posted can be verified. Nothing but opinion. What they do monitor is what is written on the repair orders. If you really want lexus to hear what your saying, camplain about. Even if it's a condition that every model has. My experience with the japanese personel is that they want verifiable data! Which is why 40% of my job is administrative, writting products reports that go straight to japan.

just my 2 cents.

p.s. If anyone wants to loan me their sc430 for a week to verify their rough ride, it would be MY pleasure! Genearch? LOL