SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ownership Report

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-01, 09:40 AM
Exhaloprez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ownership Report

Now that you have had your SC 430 for a modicum of time, what problems have you experienced and were they fixed to your satisfaction? Also, has everyone with more than 500 miles on the odometer experienced rattles/squeaks and were they fixed?

Thanks
Old 10-17-01, 08:33 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Owned 5 months, 3900 miles.

Not a single problem. No rattles, squeaks, etc. Absolutely reliable and everything I expected from a Lexus. Just took it in to my first service today and was ABSOLUTELY satisfied with the way I was treated and the service. My experiences at a Chevrolet dealership were hell, and with Lexus it is heaven.

Needless to say, I am extremely satisfied with the car and, like Genearch, do not really have an issue with the runflats.
Old 10-18-01, 04:38 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3 months; 1400 miles
No squeaks, rattles, or problems.
Oh, wait ... occasionally the back of the driver seat rubbing against the back seat does make a noise.
Old 10-18-01, 12:06 PM
deanz
Driver School Candidate

This is confusing now......how is it that some people are complainng vehemently about the harshness of the run-flats and the noises from the rear roof panel and others don't have any issues at all?

Is this due to some quality control problem at Lexus - some models are built better (more sturdy with softer ride) than others?

What do you all think explains these rather different points of view?
Old 10-18-01, 01:32 PM
BONLAW98
Driver School Candidate

Default MY REPORT

Almost 2months, 1300miles - no rattles, no squeaks- SQUEALS of joy constantly!! My car is outside most of the day in the hot sun no noise problems at all.

I had the bmw325 convertible prior With the run flats no noticible difference in ride where there is a bump or two; but on a flat smooth highway its much better," like butta".

I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!

i crossed my fingers while i typed so as not to jinx my black beauty.
Old 10-18-01, 02:36 PM
deanz
Driver School Candidate

This is confusing now......how is it that some people are complainng vehemently about the harshness of the run-flats and the noises from the rear roof panel and others don't have any issues at all?

Is this due to some quality control problem at Lexus - some models are built better (more sturdy with softer ride) than others?

What do you all think explains these rather different points of view?
Old 10-18-01, 03:09 PM
BONLAW98
Driver School Candidate

Default why- the eternal question

I don't know. Perhaps some of the ones complaining of the ride had previously driven very luxurious smooth riding cars; live where weather or terrain make for a harsher surface; or are just big babys. On roads that are not potholed and especially on the freeway, it is a dreamy ride.

As to the squeaks and rattles - perhaps it is the ones with the earlier production or I don't go over enough bumps to jar things loose.

I also take very special care of the car - clean, dusted, and shiny at all times. Maybe the car appreciates the efforts.

OR I AM JUST PLAIN LUCKY.
Old 10-18-01, 03:31 PM
Exhaloprez
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: why- the eternal question

Consider yourself lucky. I am pleased for you, but some of us are really upset. The rattles seem more prevalent in the silver colored cars...I can't say why.

Originally posted by BONLAW98
I don't know. Perhaps some of the ones complaining of the ride had previously driven very luxurious smooth riding cars; live where weather or terrain make for a harsher surface; or are just big babys. On roads that are not potholed and especially on the freeway, it is a dreamy ride.

As to the squeaks and rattles - perhaps it is the ones with the earlier production or I don't go over enough bumps to jar things loose.

I also take very special care of the car - clean, dusted, and shiny at all times. Maybe the car appreciates the efforts.

OR I AM JUST PLAIN LUCKY.
Old 10-18-01, 11:07 PM
RodF
Pole Position

My car is silver, but no rattle problems. Maybe part of the problems is that the car is so darn quiet that you would notice ANY noise eminating from the interior resulting from a rough road. For a vehicle going over a rough terrain with so many parts, it is inevitable that something will hit something else. It might even be the coins in your ashtray. Also, I can easily explain my tolerance for the run flats. My prior cars were a 1982 RX-7, a 1990 300ZX, and a 2000 Corvette (with run flats). I liked the feel of the road that I got from those cars. Going to a SC430, I perhaps felt that it was not sporty enough. But it grew on me big time. If luxury and comfort were my main concern, I would have gotten a LS. I wanted sporty, and a little feel of the road is part of the package. Just my opinion.

Last edited by RodF; 10-18-01 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-19-01, 03:21 AM
silversc430
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

It's great some of you have no rattle problems- yet. Consider yourselves fortunate.

Believe me, these rattles aren't ever so slight and only being heard because the car is so wonderfully quiet.

Funny, I have heard these comment of euphoric pleasure about the car from others - untill the rattles show up- then there is a different story and eventually they leave the board(s).

Wonder if all you guys who have no rattles got the car after a certain production date.
Old 10-19-01, 04:33 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

According to a sticker on the door, my silver SC430 was built June 1.
Most of my in-community driving is on two-lane back roads because the rides take longer, there's less traffic, and they're simply more fun. I take interstates, four-laners, etc. only when I must. While the car doesn't have annoying and irritating squeaks or rattles (top up or down), there are minor noises coming from places on the dash where materials of different types meet. These aren't loud enough or so obnoxious that they're bothersome.
My other car is a '97 Acura CL - not a super-luxurious car by any standards. Its manual warned to *expect* such noises from the dash and it was correct. They are frequent, loud, and irritating but seem to occur only during weather changes.
I never expected any car, regardless of price, not to have such interior sounds. However, I believe Silversc430 has real some-things-are-loose kind of noises and I hope they can be remedied. I'd go ballistic if I had such problems with my SC430 which is by far the most expensive and most luxurious car I've ever owned and, unless someone buys me a winning lottery ticket, will *ever* own.
Old 10-19-01, 06:34 AM
therocker
Rookie

My Silver SC 430 had a slight case of the rattles, very low, but it seems to have disappeared now. My only problem with this kick *** car, is the harsh ride on bumps with these crappy, runflats.
Old 10-19-01, 02:54 PM
Larryo
Driver School Candidate

2 months and 2400 miles. Great car, no rattles. Just switched from the runflats to winter tires that are not runflats. I can not tell the difference in ride or harshness between the two tires. I think people who are complaining have never owned a sports car. I have had a long line of sports cars and this is the best riding of them. The only disturbing problem at first was the strange ride motion before it settles into a curve at very high speed--but you get used to that. We took a 750 mile day trip in the car--my body felt great afterwards--very comfortable cruiser. My wife puts the top up and down like most people roll the windows up and down--no problems.
Old 10-20-01, 04:41 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Hmmm ... lessee ...
I owned a '64 P1800, a '69 Fiat 124 Spyder, and a '72 240Z. I think they might qualify as sports cars (although not of the TR3, MGB ilk). None of them gave me as sharp a reaction over bumps as the SC430.
Overall, the SC430 is a much smoother riding car - it's those darn bumps that rattle my teeth.
Old 10-20-01, 09:41 AM
RodF
Pole Position

According to the sticker on my door, my Silver SC 430 was built on 03/01.

Quick Reply: Ownership Report