SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Extended warranty variation question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 10:16 AM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty variation question...

So I took my '03 SC 430 in for the 30K service today, and the dealership offered me a chance to purchase the extended warranty.

The finance rep said that I had 2 platinum warranty options: 6 years/ 70K miles for $1,850, or 7 years/ 75K miles for $2,400, at 10% down and the rest spread over 12 monthly payments at no interest. Also, she mentioned that the warranty is pro-rated if unused, with the pro-rated remainder refunded if you trade-in the vehicle to Lexus.

Now, I've read on other threads in this forum that some owners have purchased a Lexus platinum warranty that is fully refundable if unused? Is that true, or due to confusion over the details?

I've also read that the 6year/ 70K warranty can usually be had for $1,600, so that's something I might consider.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-20-06, 12:24 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gokaden
So I took my '03 SC 430 in for the 30K service today, and the dealership offered me a chance to purchase the extended warranty.

The finance rep said that I had 2 platinum warranty options: 6 years/ 70K miles for $1,850, or 7 years/ 75K miles for $2,400, at 10% down and the rest spread over 12 monthly payments at no interest. Also, she mentioned that the warranty is pro-rated if unused, with the pro-rated remainder refunded if you trade-in the vehicle to Lexus.

Now, I've read on other threads in this forum that some owners have purchased a Lexus platinum warranty that is fully refundable if unused? Is that true, or due to confusion over the details?

I've also read that the 6year/ 70K warranty can usually be had for $1,600, so that's something I might consider.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like a huge waste of money. You have a 5 year 70K mile drivetrain warranty. what are you paying for that might go wrong???
Old 09-20-06, 02:09 PM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like a huge waste of money. You have a 5 year 70K mile drivetrain warranty. what are you paying for that might go wrong???

Well, I've had a bad motor in the passenger side mirror and a bad turn signal switch so far, so that's about a grand of work right there. I guess if small things go, like the DVD or ML stereo, that might add up too...and my suspensions been taking a beating bcos of the runflats, which I do intend to swap out as soon as they go.
Old 09-20-06, 03:12 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gokaden

Well, I've had a bad motor in the passenger side mirror and a bad turn signal switch so far, so that's about a grand of work right there. I guess if small things go, like the DVD or ML stereo, that might add up too...and my suspensions been taking a beating bcos of the runflats, which I do intend to swap out as soon as they go.
Take the $1600 and put it in a CD. You have one of the most trouble free cars in the world. Remember just because you buy a extended warranty doesn't mean that there isn't a clause that gets them out of paying for what remote problem you might have. Most warranty list what they cover and your item won't be on the list.
Old 09-20-06, 07:34 PM
tfischer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

You will be putting down $1,600.00 on a bet that your car will have $2,000.00 or more in covered repairs needed during the coverage period. Lexus, which has a lot more experience than you, and which has ALL the data, and who wrote the fine print in the contract, is betting against you and is gladly taking your money.

That's why the house wins at roulette.

All the time.
Old 09-20-06, 09:11 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Guys-I'd like to offer a counter point to all of your negative comments on the extended warranty. I bought mine two days before my 02 SC430 factory expired and it has already paid for itself ($1600 7year/60k). When I bought the car, it needed some few cosmetics and the old lady that owned it before me never took it in on some annoying little warranty items. I was a little concerned that these type of issues might be costly, and I was right!

Replaced front ML speaker...invoice showed $400+
Replaced interior map lights...invoice showed $120
Replaced factory battery...invoice showed $300+
Replaced center arm rest due to latch problem $300+
Replaced/repair driver's door hinge due to notchy noise $200+
Replaced seatbelt harness/latches on back seat $180
Motor Mounts replaced...not sure what the cost was might be powertrain

I bought the warranty with every intention of holding Lexus accountable for their passionate pursuit of perfection. I bring it in for every thing that isn't right on the car. Most people might live with these things, but for $65k new this car should be meticulously cared for.

The thing you expose yourself to are the aesthetic and electrical issues, like in your message the power window regulator or DVD nav system or ML system. I had a SC400 before that had very costly non-warranty electrical issues similar to this, like the cd changer and power window regulator.

My opinion is you know your car better than anyone. If you have meticulously maintained it, then your risk is low in not buying it. If you don't know the entire history and are concerned that little things like the ones I listed above might add up, I would go for it. It has paid for itself.
Old 09-21-06, 12:47 AM
petergerst
Rookie

I'm also nearing the end of my original warrantee and I am going to go for the extension. It simply gives me piece of mind since everything on this car will eventually break, too many fun gadgets, which is why I love it so much. I've had the climate control screen replaced and a window seal replaced and it never ceases to amaze me how much they would charge you for these repairs. It would simply hurt me too much stress wise to take my chances with my long term investment. By the way, where can you buy the exteded warrantee for $1600, perhaps I could purchase over the phone instead of having to go into the dealer. Anybody out there know exactly what number and person I can talk to and make the purchase stress free?
Old 09-21-06, 06:25 AM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

I've had the climate control screen replaced and a window seal replaced and it never ceases to amaze me

Hi Petergerst,

I read that you had your climate control screen replaced, and I was wondering if you could describe why it was faulty?

I noticed that the inner coating on mine is starting to peel in the middle, and am thinking of having it replaced...hopefully under warranty.
Old 09-21-06, 08:02 AM
petergerst
Rookie

Yes, this is definitely covered under the warranty. but beware- they will inevitably "nick" the leather on either side of the screen when they take it out to switch it. don't get screwed over like me- I have to pay $150 for their leather guy to fix it up since I didn't notice the damage when I first picked up the car after the replacement. I would recommend you discuss this with the serviceman before they perform the switch for you. But definitely it is covered under the warrantee and if the seal inside gets broken go ahead and get them to replace it. I'd like to hear back from you if they "nick" your leather like mine.
Old 09-21-06, 08:16 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

SCDroptop, with all due respect, I don't think your case qualifies as an 'extended warranty endorsement' at all, since all those things would have been fixed under warranty by 99%+ of the owners.
My beef with most extended warranties is they leave out what we want covered the most, like stereo systems and many other electronic components.
I'm not going to dissuade people to get it, but just read EVERYTHING in the contract, and if you feel it's a good 'investment', go for it.
In my case, as 'self-extended-warranty-insured', I've saved thousands and thousands of dollars over the years on everything from computers, cars, etc., and NEVER needed one. If I ever do, which I fully expect, it'll be a lot less than what I would have spent, so I'd gladly pay it. This is the one case where I can self-insure myself, and reap the benefits . Later.
Old 09-21-06, 08:26 AM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

http://www.warrantieslexus.com/lexus...t.html#compare

Just for some FYI for people interested in an extended warrannty, I've included a link above from the Lexus website that lists the components covered under their different warranty plans, and platinum covers a mojority of stuff, including the CD player, graphic equalizer, Navi, etc...
Old 09-21-06, 08:35 AM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

So the link I provided also allows you to price the warranty package per your ZIP. I priced a 7 yr/ 75K mile platinum package for $1,790, which is quite a bit lower than the $2,400 quoted by the dealership. I guess the $1,790 price is even workable...so maybe I can get a 7 yr/ 75K mile package for $1600 or so.
Old 09-21-06, 08:42 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Forgot to say one HUGE reason I don't even consider such things is my mileage (8K in 3 years). If there was a 7yr/20K option (priced accordingly), where everything is covered, I would consider it. Later.
Old 09-21-06, 09:16 AM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to say one HUGE reason I don't even consider such things is my mileage (8K in 3 years). If there was a 7yr/20K option (priced accordingly), where everything is covered, I would consider it. Later.

Wow, 8K in 3 years is pretty low. I use mine as an every other day commute, so I put on maybe 7 to 8K per year.

Say, ELP JC, you mentioned that you were in the TX hill country? I'm in Austin, and I'm looking for nice routes to take since Fall is coming. Any recommendations? I usually drive down 360S to 71W, then 620E, down 2222E, and up 360N back home...
Old 09-23-06, 09:49 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

ELP JC you gotta know before you blow, my friend! The Lexus Platinum extended warranty covers all that stuff you are talking about. Just look for yourself...Nav, DVD, CD, antenna...what else could you want...the tires and brake pads? My point is that all you need is three or four of those items that I listed and be outside of your factory warranty and it pays for itself. You should read the list, it's quite impressive what is covered.

Those four items I had covered were under the platinum service I had purchased and the Sewell Lexus service advisor specifically told me that some of those things would not have been covered. If you add them up, they already covered the cost.

Many people have extraordinary luck with not buying extended warranties, but all it takes is one transmission going out, one a/c dryer or condenser or your computer hard drive crashing and you wish you would have bought it.

I am not a big fan of the extended warranty either, except for when it comes to $65k cars. I have never bought an extended warranty, even for a TV, refridgerator, etc. Sure, buying a $300 warranty for a $1200 Dell computer may not be a good investment, but when you look at the wholesale costs of parts and computers you could easily replace those cheaper than $300, so it's not a good deal. Do you know what a power window regulator or a/c condenser and fan costs? I do...MORE THAN THE $1600 for the extended warranty. You have to look at cost of warranty versus cost of what it covers. $1600 to have piece of mind for a $65k car is a BARGAIN in my opinion. $200 for a $1200 computer...no. $500 for a $4000 HD LCD TV? No.

Most extended warranties just are not worth it. This platinum warranty is.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty variation question...