SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 09:35 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Also Norman, I had a look today at the wires in the trunk. If you could please post a photo of the specific wire that you tied into, I would really appreciate it. It would really save me the headache of testing each wire for the reverse switch. Thanks!
Old 05-24-13, 07:15 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Also Norman, I had a look today at the wires in the trunk. If you could please post a photo of the specific wire that you tied into, I would really appreciate it. It would really save me the headache of testing each wire for the reverse switch. Thanks!
Well, i am not going to tear my trunk apart to get to the wires again to take a photo, sorry. Just go to the back up light and take a look. One wire will be black (ground) the other wire will be the hot wire you tie into.
When you take your license plate off and look over the top of the Styrofoam you will see the back of the trunk wall. The wall is only about .060" thick. Start with a small drill bit and work your way up so you don't "catch" the drill bit taking a big bite and making a jagged hole.
Just line it up anywhere it is convenient for you to get to and drill as long as it is somewhere close to the license plate. Make it big enough to allow the pass through of the end of the video cable off the back up camera.
Old 03-01-15, 11:11 AM
allennella
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all New to me wow.
This summer I bought my dream car a red sc430 with 15k miles. So happy with my car but a need a rear view safely camera. I need to know a few things can it be installed so i can see it on my screen? What parts do I need? And can i get a newer navigation disc? I would like to know these answers so when I take it in to be done I don’t look so dumb. Also are there any instructions on how to use this Forum?
Thank you
Old 03-01-15, 01:37 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

What kind of instructions are you searching for? Speaking of searches, the search tool is extremely valuable since there is about 15 years worth of advice on this forum available to you. I do seem to remember an earlier post that listed parts and instructions (probably some on this thread, too lazy to investigate right now though).

Newer disks are available depending on which version you have in there right now.
Old 03-03-15, 07:13 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NavTool v2 Install

Just to continue a great thread and put everything in one place. MrBlister had contributed some comments to help in the thread about the mystery connector ubder the cup holder from ShawnOK and I deviated ....

The trunk liner is all out except for the driver's side and rear headliner. I removed the DVD player to make access easier. I purchased two cameras from Tadi Brothers dot com. One was the small camera that is bolted in behind the license plate. Model no. SKU29204 - 120o concealed black license plate Hi!-res camera. The other one is for the track to see who's behind so I dont need to look up at the mirror and take my eyes off the road ... 170o Ice Cube backup camera model no. SKU42373.

There are wireless options but I stuck with wired. The cameras come with wire long enough to reach the front bumper and we can do everything in the trunk so I ordered from ebay 6' long audio cables which should work fine. Thus there are 4 cables to get into the trunk - two video feeds, and two power/ground cables. The connectors are nearly 1/2" in OD and that doesn't leave room to insert the 2nd and so on connectors so I need to drill smaller holes around the edge of the main whole to hold the cables while another connector goes in. The cables will be routed via the passenger side to the area just to the front left of the DVD player. When completed the hole will be lined with a rubber wire grommet.

The NavTool v2 has a button to switch from video 1 to 2 and back to Nav ... I installed this button in the ash tray and routed the positive wire through the central console and the central wire bundle under the rear seat and then into the trunk. The rear seat was fully removed so I replaced the subwoofer while I was at it (for another thread). The switch ground was scewed into the floor in front of the shifter.

I have the NavTool installed now and for the first test and the DVD didn't come on although the screen showed the Lexus logo at startup. I need to check and fix the wiring ... Probably shorted the power to the player.

Further steps, progress and pictures to follow.

Last edited by SlvBullet; 03-03-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 07:55 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by allennella
This is all New to me wow.
This summer I bought my dream car a red sc430 with 15k miles. So happy with my car but a need a rear view safely camera. I need to know a few things can it be installed so i can see it on my screen? What parts do I need? And can i get a newer navigation disc? I would like to know these answers so when I take it in to be done I don’t look so dumb. Also are there any instructions on how to use this Forum?
Thank you
Welcome to Club Lexus and congratulations on your new purchase. We all like to see pictures! Read the intro information in the sticky section as well the FAQ's Use the advanced option to search. There's a ton of information available.

What year is your SC?

Depending on the year you can get either a 2013 or 2014 Nav DVD at your dealer or online. It simply goes into the DVD player in your trunk. Take a look at your owners manual - it's is very easy.

Re. Backup camera - Read before purchasing but in general many folks have installed the NavTool, now version 2. They are very slow to deliver at least end of last year so expect to wait. There is another option that a few have used recently. You probably want a single backup camera and the ones that hide behind the licence plate should work great for you. That's all you need. Most car audio shops should be able to install it if you are not mechanically inclined.

Good Luck!
Old 03-05-15, 06:23 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Check out a company called NAVIKS (on ebay) and search for NAVIKS in the search bar above. It's the similar product to NAVTOOL. Great company. You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-05-15, 02:00 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Picture of the NavTool v2 button placement in ash tray. The other thing in there is the control for my Parrot BlueTooth for the cell phone interface.
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation-image.jpg  
Old 03-05-15, 02:05 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Picture of 1/2" access hole for video and power cables. Need to add three smaller holes around the edge to hold the cables while inserting the another connectors.
Old 03-05-15, 02:16 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Trunk work in progress. The DVD player is turned on the side while I fix the power short. You can see the cameras and cables. Closeups on connections when it works
Old 03-08-15, 10:41 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

More pictures and details. I thought I had a short but all wires checked out with voltage or good ground. On a whim I pressed the menu button on the GPS control and it came on! It seems that with the GPS ECU and player disconnected but with vehicle power on the ECU got confused but easy to solve by pressing a control button. So everything is working with reverse and the button to switch to video 1. Just installed the cameras and only need to route the wiring to their final location.

For the concealed camera on the top of the license plate, the hole didnt match the top of the plate so I cut a groove in the top of the plate to allow the camera to fit lower than the edge. The second camera fits nicely just under the bottom of the license plate. That might be too low for the view I want when driving - will have to test ... A better location might be on top the trunk brake light although less convert.

This picture shows the modified 1/2" hole with three smaller holes on the side to hold cables while other connectors are inserted.
Old 03-08-15, 10:46 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Completed access hole with rubber gromet. I had to cut and remove a piece of the gromet.

Last edited by SlvBullet; 03-08-15 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-08-15, 10:58 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

NavTool mounted with double side 3M automobile moulding mounting tape (tape is black with red backings). Removed the paint and made a single mounting point for the ground wires for NavTool, cameras and the parking brake wire from the NavTool.
Old 03-08-15, 11:05 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Bullet connectors for easier future work for ground and accessory 12v power. 5 amp fuse in line between DVD wire bundle and NavTool. Fuse to be accessible through DVD access door just infront of the DVD player.
Old 03-09-15, 07:05 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Just a note to anyone taking on this mod... If i had it to do again, I would have added a 12v accessory to the trunk somewhere (maybe inside one of the side pockets). I have a auto air inflator for flat tires, and check my pressures often especially in the winter. Such a headache to run the cord into the cabin, then cross it over to the other side, etc. Next time I tear my trunk down, I will add one for sure.

Quick Reply: SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation