SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 08:15 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Lee said he was going to use an FM transmitter. Not the best option for quality but probably one of the easiest options (in terms of install). My gf will be using the dvd player mainly to watch & listen to music videos when she's in the passenger seat while I'm driving. So yeah, I'd like the best solution for quality sound as well.
Old 08-22-06, 08:31 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Very nice write up. I'm curious to see what you figure out as the best camera option.
Old 08-22-06, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

thanks for the note jimmy, i knew i was tired

anyway, fm... definitely not the best solution. come on lee, you have to do better than that if there is another unit to add to the system to act as another input, i guess this becomes very very much like the viastech stuff huh
Old 08-22-06, 09:35 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You guys are correct that FM does not offer the best sound, but the SC430 ML is not 5.1 surround anyhow so any input is not going to get the best audio out of a DVD, FM will do just fine. My Ipod is on an FM and it sounds fine to me without the clutter of tape adapters and has no static. Some other FM's out there are horrible. Suppose it depends on what has been experienced.

To splice into the ML would require another toggle switch to feed the sound and I am not much for toggle switches in my cars. The FM route is the safest and simplest approach to a system that does not accept surround sound to begin with. I suppose one could just splice into the left/right input lines going into the amp in the back of the car but I would hate to see what would occurr if two seperate signals were fed at the same time-could just be static-could be something not too pleasant.

Sort of a trade off with the Viastech units as those do not offer the reverse camera auto switch but offer direct audio/video the last i checked. So this unit is geared more for the backup camera vs the Viastech which is audio/video and to use a camera would require a toggle.

Best bet is to get both units and use them for their primary purpose.

Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-22-06 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-22-06, 10:43 AM
prex
Driver

Looks really good (means alot coming from me) - actually makes the carpc thing kind of interesting all of the sudden. I really wish there was a way to get the touchscreen on the NAV LCD presented as usb or ps2 mouse, but chances of that happening are slim to none, I'd guess.

Anyrate, this device with a carpc syncing mp3s via wifi could be really nice, only downside is need for a remote control vs factory controls being usable.

I just might do it ...
Old 08-22-06, 01:22 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Just to clarify the unit bypasses the NAV system so it comes on without pressing OK. Just put it into reverse.
Correct. And after getting out of reverse, the 'okay' screen comes back, and if not pressed (I never do unless in a trip) for a minute or so, it turns off by itself. It would be unacceptable for a factory application having to click the 'okay' to see what's behind you.
The problem with the SC is the darn cover. Let me ask you this: What happens if you have the screen off (and cover lowered), and you put car in reverse? It might open by itself and turn on; who knows. If not, you're probably screwed. I still don't have the service manual for my MDX to see where is that interface.

The ideal installation for me (on the SC) would be to have a switch to turn the feature on and off, and when ON, that the door would open and the screen come on when car is put in 'R' (just like a factory feature). After getting out of 'R', screen would turn off and door close. I said with a switch because I'd rarely use the feature, and it would prevent wear and tear on the door opening every time you drive away (and screen tilt mechanism as well). Good luck buddy, and keep us posted.
JC
Old 08-23-06, 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

thanks for the extra info, lee. when you come up for eos (you better come ), i wanna listen to your car playing even and see what it's like. i really like the fact that this unit plugs in so easy in the trunk without pulling everything or splicing any wires, plus it automatically turn on the video when going to reverse. very nice stuff

somehow i thought for vaistech it goes to reverse camera too automatically when you put the car in reverse. guess i was wrong
Old 08-23-06, 05:16 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

man that is a realllly nice set up, looks like it took about an afternoon or so and works great. How hard was the wiring of the unit? And, how much did this all cost? Thanks
Old 08-23-06, 08:10 PM
redmr2
Driver School Candidate

Question

You guys are correct that FM does not offer the best sound, but the SC430 ML is not 5.1 surround anyhow so any input is not going to get the best audio out of a DVD, FM will do just fine. My Ipod is on an FM and it sounds fine to me without the clutter of tape adapters and has no static. Some other FM's out there are horrible. Suppose it depends on what has been experienced.
Lee
. . . just out of curiousity, Pearlpower, which FM transmitter/modulator do you have ?? (that sounds that good); I have a Samsung Helix (xm radio/mp3) that I'm (unhappily) using a tape adapter with --- good sound, but hate the way it looks . . .
Old 08-23-06, 10:20 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TEXAS83
man that is a realllly nice set up, looks like it took about an afternoon or so and works great. How hard was the wiring of the unit? And, how much did this all cost? Thanks
Wiring was not too bad. 2 wires to splice and the rest are grounded. The harness is plug n play. Took about 3 hours to properly set up from beginning to end.
Cost on the unit was 199.00 +shipping. Camera is extra.

REDMR2, I tried the $90.00+ brand name units, the $50.00 units, and everything in between and this $20.00 unit works best from Ebay.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=ipod

But for this setup I wull be using something else.
Old 08-25-06, 10:15 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

REDMR2, I tried the $90.00+ brand name units, the $50.00 units, and everything in between and this $20.00 unit works best from Ebay.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=ipod

But for this setup I wull be using something else.
What's the fm transmitter you'll be using for this Lee? Also, are you mounting the dvd player in the trunk or in the cabin? Any updates? Thx!
Old 08-26-06, 02:12 PM
egoldy
Driver School Candidate

I've been considering doing this video mod too.

However, if anyone is doing FM modulation for sound, they have to take the time to install / hear something like this:

http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html

It's day and night..

I've got this installed with the Drive and Play Plus with my Ipod and it's the best thing I've ever seen - completely clean, very very easy to use.

Not sure if I want to buy the video thing and the camera on top of it

Eric:
'03 SC430 Blue
Old 08-26-06, 10:50 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yeah!
What's the fm transmitter you'll be using for this Lee? Also, are you mounting the dvd player in the trunk or in the cabin? Any updates? Thx!
Hi Jimmy
Not too sure where the DVD player will be installed. Two spots are in the glove box (limted space) or in the right rear compartment in the trunk. As far as the FM modulator is concerned, I am waiting for a simple one to arrive to try it out and will post at that time. I should most of it going next week but the LSD install will take priority so we shall see.
Lee
Old 08-27-06, 06:26 AM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

just wanted to comment that this is a nice install and great info thanks for taking time to do it ! also please keep us updated on the fm transmitter as im very interested in this as well.

also if you can give me your input on this topic
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234995

Last edited by RanGer498; 08-27-06 at 06:28 AM. Reason: updated
Old 08-27-06, 11:11 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Jimmy
Not too sure where the DVD player will be installed. Two spots are in the glove box (limted space) or in the right rear compartment in the trunk. As far as the FM modulator is concerned, I am waiting for a simple one to arrive to try it out and will post at that time. I should most of it going next week but the LSD install will take priority so we shall see.
Lee
OIC, thx for the update!

Quick Reply: SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation