SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rattles

Old 10-08-01, 06:50 PM
Exhaloprez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rattles

Hi All,

Got my silver monster 500 miles ago (8 days ago) and love it but for the squeaky rattles when the top is up. It takes about 15 minutes of driving before the rattling starts. Anyone else have that problem and if so, what has been done?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-01, 07:13 PM
silversc430
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I too have these rattles in the roof. Lexus tried many times to fix them but only made it worse. Problem seems to get worse if the car sits in the sun. I am waiting for one last fix. Will let you know how it goes.
There are many others with this same problem...and others.
Old 10-09-01, 10:53 AM
Exhaloprez
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by silversc430
I too have these rattles in the roof. Lexus tried many times to fix them but only made it worse. Problem seems to get worse if the car sits in the sun. I am waiting for one last fix. Will let you know how it goes.
There are many others with this same problem...and others.
Thanks for your response. The rattles in my car seem to be coming from the back of the top. What did your dealer say about the cause? What did your dealer try to do? Are you going to the same dealer? Lexus told me that it is not a widespread problem. I will take my car in for the 1000 mile service next week or the week after and I will relate my experience.
Old 10-09-01, 12:17 PM
silversc430
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

The problem is more widespread than they tell you- and they KNOW that. The problem seems to be in the rear roof panel-the panel with the rear window in it. The noise usually will start on the dreivers side over the small rear window near the "B" pillar, then appear in the same place on the pass. side. They will tell you there may be one other with problems like this, but believe me- there are many- probally all the cars have or will have the problem before 3000 miles- especially in warm climates as the heat seems to make the problem more severe. Lexus will tell you they will put in heavier springs, tighten connectors, insulate... but , these are not remedies.
If you would like to post your e mail or change the setting in your profile to allow for recipt of e mail , I can try to give you further info.
Good Luck.
Old 10-09-01, 01:57 PM
Exhaloprez
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally posted by silversc430
The problem is more widespread than they tell you- and they KNOW that. The problem seems to be in the rear roof panel-the panel with the rear window in it. The noise usually will start on the dreivers side over the small rear window near the "B" pillar, then appear in the same place on the pass. side. They will tell you there may be one other with problems like this, but believe me- there are many- probally all the cars have or will have the problem before 3000 miles- especially in warm climates as the heat seems to make the problem more severe. Lexus will tell you they will put in heavier springs, tighten connectors, insulate... but , these are not remedies.
If you would like to post your e mail or change the setting in your profile to allow for recipt of e mail , I can try to give you further info.
Good Luck.
My email is rmbrown@bryancave.com
Old 10-11-01, 12:20 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Rattles...Rattles...Rattles.
This is the ONE thing you would not expect from a $60,000.00 LEXUS. I had mine in 4 times for passenger side rattles. They have tried lots, even replacing the entire passenger seat, but the %&^#$ thing still rattles. Dealership as frustrated as me with the rattles.
Maybe trade it in on the new SL. Would be worth the extra $20K to not have the irritating RATTLES!!
Hope LEXUS reads this board and comes up with a solution. Those RATTLES ruin the entire Lexus experience. If I wanted rattles I could drive a Mustang convertable.

The worst thing about the RATTLES is when the dealership acts like mine is the only one rattling.