SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cruising Shelf

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 09:52 AM
PBEchicago
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RGA:

What material is used in the visible exterior portion of the cruising shelf? Leather? Cloth? Vinyl? Plastic? Metal? Fiberglass?

I know it is expensive. Would you buy this accessory again?

Any moving parts or carrying pouches?

Can it be painted?

How many holes must be drilled? Where?

Before seeing your post, I thought it was one solid piece that you merely inserted into the rear seat. Now it sounds considerably more complicated.

I have ecru leather upholstery and have a dog passenger on occasion. I'm now thinking of sticking with after market seat covers rather than the cruising shelf.

Any advice, RGA?
Old 06-12-06, 10:43 AM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the looks of it, the cruising shelf is a pretty complicated thing. I see that drilling into some plastic is necessary. From what I understand, the crusing shelf is just a cover from the back headrests to the bar that is mounted on the clips drilled into the interior panels. Then, there are clips that stretch the cover (with the opening flaps) down to the bottom of the rear seat. In other words, if you place anything inside of the "shelf", it would sit on the rear seat but the top part of the shelf would cover it. I do not know if you can lock the opening flaps and how easy, if at all, it is to remove the rear clips and bar. Does any of this make sense?

Anyway, Rodney, anytime bro. I will be out there in for most of the month of August but the first half of the month would be cleaning up, shopping for grind, etc. because I haven't been at the big island for almost a year. I will let you know when I will arrive and pm you my cel. Take care and let me know if I can do anything else to help out.

Dan
Old 06-12-06, 11:22 AM
PBEchicago
Driver

Thank you, Dan K.

Since RGA in Hawaii is in actual possession of this item, can RGA please respond to the specific questions which I posted prior to Dan K's comments?
Old 06-12-06, 12:21 PM
brianley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A better pic of it installed - http://www.toyotaimportsforum.co.uk/...30_options.htm

Looks like black is the only option though.
Old 06-12-06, 02:55 PM
PBEchicago
Driver

Thank you, brianley.

Could RGA from Hawaii or SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY HAS THE CRUISING SHELF IN THEIR POSSESSION answer my questions four posts above?

Thank you.

Last edited by PBEchicago; 06-12-06 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 08:18 PM
RGA
Rookie

PGE:

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Just getting off work.

What material is used in the visible exterior portion of the cruising shelf? Leather? Cloth? Vinyl? Plastic? Metal? Fiberglass?
Answer: Leather (Very Nice Leather, LEXUS logo in the middle)

I know it is expensive. Would you buy this accessory again?
Answer: Knowing the extensive work required, and all the alternation that will have to be done to such as Nice Car???. I probably not? In fact, I am having second thought about putting it on because of that. FYI...I may sell it cheap.

Any moving parts or carrying pouches?
Answer: Not really, the Shelf does adjust as you open & close the roof.

Can it be painted?
Answer: I seen leather painted, how I have NO idea. From what I've seen they only come in Black. FYI...Now that I own one. I think a very good interior shop could custom make these easily. may cost some $$$

How many holes must be drilled? Where?
Answer: about 15 to 20, around the front seatbelt station, the black plastic (that moves) behind the back seats, and below the back seats. NOTE: this just what i can see, there maybe more. I will have more info once we even try.

Before seeing your post, I thought it was one solid piece that you merely inserted into the rear seat. Now it sounds considerably more complicated.
Answer: I thought the same, there's some work.

I have ecru leather upholstery and have a dog passenger on occasion. I'm now thinking of sticking with after market seat covers rather than the cruising shelf.
Answer: in that case don't do it. I did it for a autoshow. The shelf will give it a "Roadster" look. But, now I'm not sure I want to mess with my Baby's interion that way ???

NOTE: Stand by, I will start playing with this more (pics) this weekend.
Old 06-12-06, 08:20 PM
RGA
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dan_K
By the looks of it, the cruising shelf is a pretty complicated thing. I see that drilling into some plastic is necessary. From what I understand, the crusing shelf is just a cover from the back headrests to the bar that is mounted on the clips drilled into the interior panels. Then, there are clips that stretch the cover (with the opening flaps) down to the bottom of the rear seat. In other words, if you place anything inside of the "shelf", it would sit on the rear seat but the top part of the shelf would cover it. I do not know if you can lock the opening flaps and how easy, if at all, it is to remove the rear clips and bar. Does any of this make sense?

Anyway, Rodney, anytime bro. I will be out there in for most of the month of August but the first half of the month would be cleaning up, shopping for grind, etc. because I haven't been at the big island for almost a year. I will let you know when I will arrive and pm you my cel. Take care and let me know if I can do anything else to help out.

Dan
DanK:

Looking forward to hearing/seeing you. In fact, I'll call KevSC so we can get together. I'll take you to some Hostess Bars (LOL)...Keep in touch...
Old 06-12-06, 08:21 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

PBE, my intention was not to answer your questions. After translating the instruction for Rodney, I just wrote down some of my observations. Thanks for understanding.

Rodney, sounds good. I'll keep in touch and let you know when I'll be there. It'll be my buy if you promise to not go too crazy Take care.

Dan

Last edited by Dan_K; 06-12-06 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 10:39 PM
PBEchicago
Driver

RGA and Dan K:

Thank you. RGA has clarified a lot about the cruising shelf. I'll stay tuned to this thread for more.
Old 07-19-14, 05:07 AM
DJB973
Driver School Candidate

Default Cruising Shelf, Rear Seat Conversion, SC430

HI all,

I was looking for a "Cruising Shelf" for my SC430. I found a guy who makes custom luggage for cars, and he is willing to make them for anyone who wants one. Price is TBD but roughly ½ of OEM. Problem is he needs to borrow one to make a pattern. So, if anyone is interested in buying one, we can set something up. But first I need to find someone who has one that will loan it out.

For anyone who doesn't know what it is, here is a link to a thread about it with pics. I think it would be great to cover up that dirt catcher of a back seat.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...brand-new.html

Thanks,
David
Old 07-19-14, 08:34 PM
sebtown
Driver

When I first got my SC in 2011 I was all over wanting a cruising shelf. I actually located a used one in Japan but the $1350 usd price convinced me I didn't want it bad enough. I still think there would be a market at the right price.
Old 07-19-14, 10:32 PM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by DJB973
HI all,

I was looking for a "Cruising Shelf" for my SC430. I found a guy who makes custom luggage for cars, and he is willing to make them for anyone who wants one. Price is TBD but roughly ½ of OEM. Problem is he needs to borrow one to make a pattern. So, if anyone is interested in buying one, we can set something up. But first I need to find someone who has one that will loan it out.

For anyone who doesn't know what it is, here is a link to a thread about it with pics. I think it would be great to cover up that dirt catcher of a back seat.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...brand-new.html

Thanks,
David
same here would love to purchase for right price
Old 07-20-14, 05:19 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

What is the right price?
Old 07-20-14, 08:05 AM
DJB973
Driver School Candidate

My GUESS on the price would be in the 400-600 range. But it depends on materials, how many are made, and IF we can find one to use as a pattern. Again, only a guess. I'd pay it if I could get my hands on one.