2002 SC430 Maintenance Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-06, 09:51 PM
AZRPTR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 SC430 Maintenance Issues

Here's the deal:

1. My 2002 SC430 with 23,000 miles on it is making a low rubbing noise when slowing down, with a slight vibration, not severe enough to annoy anyone but me, really, but it is annoying and frankly surprizing on this car. The dealer tells me it's because the brakes have
"glaze" on them, and short of a new brake job, you can jam on the brakes to clear or loosen some of this and reduce the noise. ( I live in the desert so I'm sure I could find a deserted stretch or road for this craziness...) The dealer reports the brakes have 70 - 80 percent life on them and I don't need a brake job. Anyone else had a similar problem?

2. Power steering. I thought this particular car was just hard to steer, but even the tech at the dealer commented it's like I have no power steering. I test drove two other cars, and the steering is markedly lighter on the other two SC430's I drove. (2002 and 2005) Dealer can't seem to find an explanation, but I have to drive this car with two hands around town... I know this is not the way this car was intended to feel. Again, anyone run into something like this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I live 250 miles from the nearest dealer, so this is getting to be an expensive proposition, bringing it back and forth! (1,000 miles on my car already). The dealer explained the 2005 would feel different, but I'm thinking: BS. I don't believe the car changed that much from the 2002 model so as to affect the steering. BTW, I'm using stock tires, not run flat, 4 months old. And the steering is stiff at idle anyway, regardless of tires.

The first SC I drove, which sealed the decision to buy one, was so quiet I didn't know the engine was running, easy to steer, and smooth. I thought, so THAT'S what a Lexus is about.

Thanks
Adam
Old 05-13-06, 10:15 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello Adam,

Glazing on brakes comes from riding the brakes, hard braking, poor brake design(not applicable here), or failure of a component. Glazing often results in squealing when braking. Glazing is easily removed by sanding down the brake pads past the glazed surface-if this is really your problem.

I cannot help but think that both of your problems are related but without more detail or the car in front of me it makes things difficult to diagnose.

The power steering on these cars is pretty simple and basic. As long as you have fluid things go well. There is a valve on the power steering pump operated by engine vacuum for speed sensitivity. This would be the first place I would look. It has two vacuum lines connected to it.

Where are you noticing the vibration? Steering wheel? Car vibration?
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-14-06 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-14-06, 06:46 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Hello Adam,

Glazing on brakes comes from riding the brakes, hard braking, poor brake design(not applicable here), or failure of a component. Glazing often results in squealing when breaking. Glazing is easily removed by sanding down the brake pads past the glazed surface-if this is really your problem.

I cannot help but think that both of your problems are related but without more detail or the car in front of me it makes things difficult to diagnose.

The power steering on these cars is pretty simple and basic. As long as you have fluid things go well. There is a valve on the power steering pump operated by engine vacuum for speed sensitivity. This would be the first place I would look. It has two vacuum lines connected to it.

Where are you noticing the vibration? Steering wheel? Car vibration?
Lee
Lee,

Why don't the powers that be here, make you a forum moderator or atleast some designation as resident mechanic? Your knowledge is priceless!!
Old 05-14-06, 10:09 AM
AZRPTR
Driver School Candidate

Lee -
Thanks for the feedback. I am noticing the vibration/noise when slowing at lower speeds, not really very loud but noticeable. I can hear and feel the brakes - something I cannot do on other cars. I don't drive it much as it is and am not on the habit of riding brakes. Dealer quoted 360 for front brake job, for maching the disks and pads.

The steering is fine at high speeds - some resistance there as I imagine it's designed. It's just that it drives at low speeds just like it does at high, with the same resistance making it uncomfortable to drive. I'll relate your suggestion to the dealer (it's in Phoenix now). I understand the car sat on a showroom floor for quite sometime before being driven. It's a Silver Belle, 2002 with 23,000 miles and maybe the dealer kept it there for whatever reason. Don't know if this makes a difference, but explains the low mileage. I bet you're right about the vacuum. That explains the speed sensitivity!

THanks again for the help.

p.s. You're one of the people that make this forum great!
Old 05-15-06, 12:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well if anything, i don't see what's bad by doing some hard stops and try to see if the brakes get better. just make sure you do not spray water on teh rotors afterwards and make sure you roll the cars around for a while after those hard stops. i wonder if teh rotors are a bit warpped

for the power steering, i agree, it's probably the power steering pump having issues and not able to pump the fluids?
Old 05-02-13, 04:17 PM
wayne2970
Driver School Candidate

Adam,

I think I have the same steering issue that you discussed in this thread. I curious if you were able to solve the problem

Thanks in advance Wayne
Old 05-02-13, 05:18 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AZRPTR
Lee -
Thanks for the feedback. I am noticing the vibration/noise when slowing at lower speeds, not really very loud but noticeable. I can hear and feel the brakes - something I cannot do on other cars. I don't drive it much as it is and am not on the habit of riding brakes. Dealer quoted 360 for front brake job, for maching the disks and pads.

The steering is fine at high speeds - some resistance there as I imagine it's designed. It's just that it drives at low speeds just like it does at high, with the same resistance making it uncomfortable to drive. I'll relate your suggestion to the dealer (it's in Phoenix now). I understand the car sat on a showroom floor for quite sometime before being driven. It's a Silver Belle, 2002 with 23,000 miles and maybe the dealer kept it there for whatever reason. Don't know if this makes a difference, but explains the low mileage. I bet you're right about the vacuum. That explains the speed sensitivity!

THanks again for the help.

p.s. You're one of the people that make this forum great!

What # is you silver belle there were only 100 made. Did you get the embroidered logo car cover with the car,. It came with the car when new