SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Successful SC430 Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 03:12 AM
melissavac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Follow the directions on the previous threads. Good luck. Worst case, you will have to call a locksmith.
Thanks for the reply but WHICH instructions? I don't see any that don't use a already programmed master key??? I have re read thru twice & been all over the forum....I so appreciate you help!
Old 04-18-15, 05:43 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by melissavac
Thanks for the reply but WHICH instructions? I don't see any that don't use a already programmed master key??? I have re read thru twice & been all over the forum....I so appreciate you help!
You MUST have a WORKING master key with out it you will have to have the ECU memory flashed and that involves buying a new ECU. I don't think there is any other choice. Do you have the flat wallet key ?
Old 05-07-15, 05:42 PM
haroldeck
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Lexus SC430 Key and Remote Programming is a 2 Step Process

I bought a used 2005 SC430 that came with only one key/remote. I ordered 2 key blanks for $7.50 each from one of the internet sellers and a used matching remote on ebay for $60. The key blanks came with an integral empty remote shell. I had the key blanks cut at a local hardware store for $15 each. I removed the used remote that I bought on ebay from the non-matching key/shell and installed it into one of the newly-cut matching key shells.

I programmed the key/remote to match my car using the 2 step instructions that are attached here.

I programmed the key/remote to start the car first using the instructions on page 2 of the attachment. Then I programmed the key/remote to lock and unlock the doors using the instructions at the bottom of page 1.

I did not use the "erase key" procedure at the top of page 1.

So for $105 I have a programmed and fully functioning key/remote plus a spare key I can use to unlock the doors manually if I lock the key/remote in the car. I will monitor ebay to see if I can get another remote at a reasonable price.
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Foxfire413 (10-22-20)
Old 05-07-15, 06:07 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by haroldeck
I bought a used 2005 SC430 that came with only one key/remote. I ordered 2 key blanks for $7.50 each from one of the internet sellers and a used matching remote on ebay for $60. The key blanks came with an integral empty remote shell. I had the key blanks cut at a local hardware store for $15 each. I removed the used remote that I bought on ebay from the non-matching key/shell and installed it into one of the newly-cut matching key shells.

I programmed the key/remote to match my car using the 2 step instructions that are attached here.

I programmed the key/remote to start the car first using the instructions on page 2 of the attachment. Then I programmed the key/remote to lock and unlock the doors using the instructions at the bottom of page 1.

I did not use the "erase key" procedure at the top of page 1.

So for $105 I have a programmed and fully functioning key/remote plus a spare key I can use to unlock the doors manually if I lock the key/remote in the car. I will monitor ebay to see if I can get another remote at a reasonable price.
Congratulations Harold! And welcome to CL, you sound like a guy that likes to do his own work on cars! Please post up some pictures of your new beauty!
Old 08-02-15, 03:01 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamGarcia
Does ANYONE know what the security light triple blink is? I have noticed that sometimes I get the standard one security light blinking and other times I get a double blink with a short pause followed by a single blink then a long pause then a double blink again. Does anyone know what this actually means, I'd rather someone's true knowledge than assumptions.
Yeah, its four years later, but worth a post to have the info available for the future -- I experienced the "flash, pause flash/flash" sequence yesterday when programming.

I believe that flash sequence is the SC saying: "Yes, I am in programming mode, but there is something funky about that key (RFID) and I am not able to add it to the list, so you won't be able to start the car with it. Sorry about that."

Of course, just continuing the regular flash sequence means that you never got into programming mode so you can try again until you do. The flash - flash/flash seems to indicate error, so it is much worse.
Old 08-29-15, 09:03 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey everyone, I know this thread is about programming but wanted some info from anyone who's upgrade to the flip key and felt this might be a good place to post rather than start a new topic. Can you please post a link to the assembly you purchased and report the quality of the key? My OEM key has finally quit on me. The electronics and blade are still functional, but the back plate is kaput and so the innards keep falling out. If I'm going to have to get a new key cut, I thought I might upgrade to a flip style fob but just want some advice on which to purchase and reviews of said products after field testing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-15, 11:07 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts

Hi Shawn,
I went the FlipKey route for my wife's key. ( I use the valet key with the Viper remote.) Pretty easy upgrade to do. I just sent in a decent photo of the blade for the blade cut.
A few points I learned.
1. The FipKey is bulky, even when closed.
2. The one I purchased was not high quality like a factory fob. The chrome trim pieces where you put the key ring through are flimsy and get distorted and fall out after a few months use.

Never had any issues with the remote functions range or the transponder chip being read by the car. The quality issues might be partially due to the wife's " key ring " setup that includes the keys and remotes for 4 cars, house keys, work keys.... In total it must weight 3 pounds. All that weight hanging from the Flip blade does have a negative effect.

It looks neat and even the Lexus dealer was impressed and mentioned it.

Kreg
Old 09-12-15, 11:35 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Hey all, so I got my flip key cut today and it works perfectly. I ordered two blanks from different online sites. Links below. I decided to go with the ebay one as the AliExpress one didn't have a LED hole, to display battery status. Secondly, the AliExpress one opened on the right hand side so it would mean flipping the key over every time. I also choose to gorilla glue in the silver key ring piece as someone had mentioned that theirs had fallen out. Anyway, after getting it cut, I just had to swap the guts and it works like a charm. I will say that the key is a little bulky compared to other cars I've driven, but it is what it is. Will just have to take some getting used to, I guess. Locksmith only charged $45. I'm a happy camper that this went so smoothly.

New Replacement Flip Key Case Shell Keyless Remote Car Fob Uncut Blade Fix | eBay

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Remot...932582138.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-13-17 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-25-15, 09:27 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thought it would be a good idea to post a photo of the finished key. As I explained, it's a little more bulky, especially in the ignition, but once you get used to it, no problems.
Attached Thumbnails Successful SC430 Key Programming-imag0262.jpg  
Old 02-13-17, 09:06 AM
klpps
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All,
New member here. I've followed all the instructions in this thread to program a new key for my '03 and haven't seen anyone else have my exact problem yet. I purchased the key off ebay (had great reviews and is a generic 3-button remote with key). I had it cut no problem. When I follow the instructions in the first post, after I insert the new key (after opening the door 6 times), the security light immediately stops blinking. In other words, while others report having to wait 1-2 minutes for the light to stop blinking (indicating that programming is done), my light immediately stops blinking. Then... I am able to start the car with the new key! Without taking the key out, I turn the car off and back on for good measure and it still works. But after I take the key out, it stops working... Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Phil
Old 02-13-17, 01:56 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Phil,

There are instructions on how to program your remote door unlocker to your car, but they are separate than programming a key to start your car.

in order to program a Key to turn your car you need to go to a locksmith or have Techstream Programming software.

My guess is your car started with your un-programmed key because you had an old key on your keyring.

There are lots of members on ClubLexus and there is a decent chance that a member lives near by you with the Techstream software.

One other option is to buy a key programmer off of ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-LEXUS...0AAOSw14xWOXy7 though that would be the suggestion I recommend the least.
Old 02-13-17, 02:01 PM
klpps
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DashingDar
Phil,

There are instructions on how to program your remote door unlocker to your car, but they are separate than programming a key to start your car.

in order to program a Key to turn your car you need to go to a locksmith or have Techstream Programming software.

My guess is your car started with your un-programmed key because you had an old key on your keyring.

There are lots of members on ClubLexus and there is a decent chance that a member lives near by you with the Techstream software.

One other option is to buy a key programmer off of ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-LEXUS...0AAOSw14xWOXy7 though that would be the suggestion I recommend the least.
I was following the instructions in the first post, which appeared to be programming a key to start the car, not the remote door unlocker. The instructions I followed are below. Others seemed like they were able to program the key without Techstream software. I thought that was what this whole thread was about actually.

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.
Old 02-13-17, 02:50 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by klpps
New member here. I've followed all the instructions in this thread to program a new key for my '03 and haven't seen anyone else have my exact problem yet. I purchased the key off ebay (had great reviews and is a generic 3-button remote with key). I had it cut no problem. When I follow the instructions in the first post, after I insert the new key (after opening the door 6 times), the security light immediately stops blinking. In other words, while others report having to wait 1-2 minutes for the light to stop blinking (indicating that programming is done), my light immediately stops blinking. Then... I am able to start the car with the new key! Without taking the key out, I turn the car off and back on for good measure and it still works. But after I take the key out, it stops working... Any insight would be very much appreciated!

I was following the instructions in the first post, which appeared to be programming a key to start the car, not the remote door unlocker. The instructions I followed are below. Others seemed like they were able to program the key without Techstream software. I thought that was what this whole thread was about actually.

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.
I haven't personally done it but in reading your missive above it sounds like you might not have waited the step #7 one minute wait. Also, did you step on the brake to end the programming before starting the car?
Old 02-13-17, 03:17 PM
klpps
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
I haven't personally done it but in reading your missive above it sounds like you might not have waited the step #7 one minute wait. Also, did you step on the brake to end the programming before starting the car?
Hi Harold. I did wait for the one minute even though the light was not blinking. And I did step on the brake. After pondering, I think the programming did not work and DashingDar is correct that I had the master key on the same chain when I tested the new key, which triggered the car to start when I turned it. This leads me to a new question. Is it possible to (1) open up my current master key (which does NOT have remote button function because its busted) and (2) take out the security chip, and (3) insert that chip into my new cut key to make that new key work?
Old 02-13-17, 09:33 PM
klpps
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by klpps
Hi Harold. I did wait for the one minute even though the light was not blinking. And I did step on the brake. After pondering, I think the programming did not work and DashingDar is correct that I had the master key on the same chain when I tested the new key, which triggered the car to start when I turned it. This leads me to a new question. Is it possible to (1) open up my current master key (which does NOT have remote button function because its busted) and (2) take out the security chip, and (3) insert that chip into my new cut key to make that new key work?
I did some searching and the answer to my question is yes.

Quick Reply: Successful SC430 Key Programming