iPod integration

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 08:24 PM
Thinker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod integration

Hi!

So, What's the best option to get a direct connection iPod integration?

I'd love to buy an SC430 - but the lack of bluetooth and ipod are bothering me. The bluetooth is irritating but I can get around. But the ipod?? It's asking a lot for a $60k+ car to be missing this.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

- Thinker
Old 03-25-06, 05:14 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

I have an 06 sc430 and it comes with bluetooth standard. Even the 05 comes with it standard for that matter. I never looked into the ipod connection, but I am sure you can integrate one with a fm transmitter or something
Old 03-25-06, 06:08 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I've been trying some various things to play my iPod Nano in my '02 SC430.

In my experience, the FM transmitters are not very good. The cheap ones are terrible, and the good ones are still a problem, maybe because the FM antenna for the car is outside on the rear fender.

The ML is so complex and so well integrated that no one really has a good aftermarket device to add a direct plug-in.

For the past few months I have been using a cassette adapter that I am very happy with. It plugs into the lighter and has a flexible stalk, atop which sits a holder for the iPod. You then put a cassette on a wire into the slot, and thats how you get the sound into the car's ML audio system. Because it's wired, you don't get all the static and drifting that the FM transmitters give you, and although I hear tell that the audio spectrum is limited by these cassette systems, I can't really tell. The flexible stalk lets me position the iPod in a convenient place where I can get to it easily and read the screen, and it charges the battery also, which the FM transmitters will not do.

It's not the most convenient, but it works for me, especially since I really only go to the iPod for longer trips and don't need something handy for a short jaunt.

I can't recall where I got it, but that's what Google is for.
Old 03-25-06, 09:48 AM
clubaddict
Driver

Originally Posted by tfischer
I've been trying some various things to play my iPod Nano in my '02 SC430.

In my experience, the FM transmitters are not very good. The cheap ones are terrible, and the good ones are still a problem, maybe because the FM antenna for the car is outside on the rear fender.

The ML is so complex and so well integrated that no one really has a good aftermarket device to add a direct plug-in.

For the past few months I have been using a cassette adapter that I am very happy with. It plugs into the lighter and has a flexible stalk, atop which sits a holder for the iPod. You then put a cassette on a wire into the slot, and thats how you get the sound into the car's ML audio system. Because it's wired, you don't get all the static and drifting that the FM transmitters give you, and although I hear tell that the audio spectrum is limited by these cassette systems, I can't really tell. The flexible stalk lets me position the iPod in a convenient place where I can get to it easily and read the screen, and it charges the battery also, which the FM transmitters will not do.

It's not the most convenient, but it works for me, especially since I really only go to the iPod for longer trips and don't need something handy for a short jaunt.

I can't recall where I got it, but that's what Google is for.
is the frequency range and the s/n ratio better than the radio?
I had one of those fm transmitter things with a usb stick and it had alot of problems with interference... you had to keep on changing the station...and the quality wasnt nothing special either... didnt even match the radio...

id definately purchase a ipod integration for the car... but only if it was absolutely PERFECT... nothing ghetto on this car lol
Old 03-25-06, 10:25 AM
tfischer

I don't know what "absolutely perfect" means, in this context.

Songs compressed for use on an iPod, especially if you have downloaded them, are already less than CD quality under the best circumstances. Ipods are not designed to give a full spectrum of sound on playback -- they are designed for little tiny earphones. If you want the best sound available, burn your own CDs and play those; you have 6 hours of music right there.

I use the iPod playback for podcasts and audiobooks, where fidelity is not critical at all.

As for the FM, I doubt you will like it. I had to fiddle with it a lot to find a clear frequency to use, and then 10 minutes later some nearby station would get stronger and I would have to change the frequency on my transmitter and radio again. Messing with this on the road was even worse because of the constantly changing paterns of signal strength. So I switched to a hard wire system which obviously has none of those problems, and it gives me a use for the tape deck, which is not something I use much these days. I notice that cassette decks are not being put into cars as much any more. In a few years they may be gone altogether from much of the automotive scene (but replaced by a direct input for an iPod or other MP3 player).

Classical music through an iPod and through a cassette adapter sounds very good, and much, much better than through an FM transmitter, but not as good as right off a strong FM radio station and certainly not as good as from a CD, which would be the best source of high fidelity music.

So if by "nothing ghetto" you mean nothing but the highest fidelity and widest sound reproduction range for the music you play, then leave the iPod at home and play the FM radio or CDs.

Or, if you must have 10,000 songs in the car available at all times, play the iPod. Everything is a trade-off.
Old 03-25-06, 10:49 AM
clubaddict
Driver

Songs compressed for use on an iPod, especially if you have downloaded them, are already less than CD quality under the best circumstances. Ipods are not designed to give a full spectrum of sound on playback -- they are designed for little tiny earphones. If you want the best sound available, burn your own CDs and play those; you have 6 hours of music right there.

I use the iPod playback for podcasts and audiobooks, where fidelity is not critical at all.

As for the FM, I doubt you will like it. I had to fiddle with it a lot to find a clear frequency to use, and then 10 minutes later some nearby station would get stronger and I would have to change the frequency on my transmitter and radio again. Messing with this on the road was even worse because of the constantly changing paterns of signal strength. So I switched to a hard wire system which obviously has none of those problems, and it gives me a use for the tape deck, which is not something I use much these days. I notice that cassette decks are not being put into cars as much any more. In a few years they may be gone altogether from much of the automotive scene (but replaced by a direct input for an iPod or other MP3 player).

Classical music through an iPod and through a cassette adapter sounds very good, and much, much better than through an FM transmitter, but not as good as right off a strong FM radio station and certainly not as good as from a CD, which would be the best source of high fidelity music.

So if by "nothing ghetto" you mean nothing but the highest fidelity and widest sound reproduction range for the music you play, then leave the iPod at home and play the FM radio or CDs.

Or, if you must have 10,000 songs in the car available at all times, play the iPod. Everything is a trade-off.
by nothing ghetto I meant a clean install, without wires running all over the place...
something integrated with the stock system..
Old 03-25-06, 11:02 AM
tfischer

If that's what you mean, then from what I know, it's just not available due to the complexity of the ML system. Some outfits are working on it, and promise kits from time to time, but nothing is available, as far as I can tell.

You use an interesting metaphore, as I don't recall a lot of wires running all over the ghetto the last time I was there, nor do I recall it being particularly integrated, for that matter.
Old 03-26-06, 05:14 AM
sc430uk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hello im back

vaistech offer the integration into the current system,
Old 03-26-06, 10:14 AM
prex
Driver

funny, in the ghetto i see lots of 20" wheels and body kits.

look into vaistech and dension, depending on the year of your car they may have full integration, failing that you'll get a clean aux in.
Old 03-26-06, 07:16 PM
Thinker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by camillian
I have an 06 sc430 and it comes with bluetooth standard. Even the 05 comes with it standard for that matter. I never looked into the ipod connection, but I am sure you can integrate one with a fm transmitter or something
Really? I didn't realize bluetooth was avail? How about sattelite radio? can you get XM or Sirius through the mark levinson?

- Thinker
Old 03-27-06, 02:50 PM
gstalter
Driver School Candidate

Default SC430 Ipod Integration

Yes, Bluetooth has been standard on the SC430 for several years now, but it's only used for connecting cell phones in with the navigation system to make and receive calls through the nav/stereo system. Vaistech makes a unit that allows you to integrate an Ipod with the ML audio system. It's a direct connect and it allows you to control the Ipod through the stereo and the steering wheel controls. I just installed the unit over the weekend and it sounds a lot better than the cassette adapter I was using and no more tacky wires and things from the lighter to the cassete. I don't have much experience with the unit yet since I just installed it, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon. Some things to consider though. First, installation is time consuming and you have to be very careful if you don't want to scratch up the console (as I found out a little late - oops!). Second, the unit organizes the CD number based on the playlists on the Ipod. So, each playlist is equal to a CD (maximum number of 99 otherwise no telling what the system will do). Third, all the songs in the playlist will appear as tracks on the disk (again, maximum of 99 or might get unexpected results). On points 2 and 3, I'm not sure if this is working correctly as I'm getting some unexpected results - although I may have more than 99 playlists and more than 99 songs in a playlist. I'll have to go back in and review with hte Itunes software. Vaistech also makes an adapter for satelite radio. It's very strange that Lexus is so far behind the times when it comes to not providing auxiliary inputs on the ML system.
Old 03-27-06, 05:58 PM
Thinker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gstalter
Yes, Bluetooth has been standard on the SC430 for several years now, but it's only used for connecting cell phones in with the navigation system to make and receive calls through the nav/stereo system. .....Vaistech also makes an adapter for satelite radio. It's very strange that Lexus is so far behind the times when it comes to not providing auxiliary inputs on the ML system.
That's great!!! Can you get someone else to install the vaistech? Personally, this doesn't match my "skill set".

Any clue where the XM antenna goes?

- thinker
Old 03-29-06, 07:29 PM
gstalter
Driver School Candidate

You can probably get the Lexus dealer or an aftermarket stereo shop to install the Lexpd from Vaistech. The model I bought is for Ipod and anothe auxiliary input. However, I beieve they have a unit for an auxiliary and XM satelite if you are interested in satelite. Go to this website and you can read about their products. http://www.vaistech.com/home.html

I figured out how the playlists work and that makes this unit function a lot better. I haven't had much luck with the random/shuffle feature though. Gool Luck!

If anyone is looking for instructions on how to install, I can let you know what I had to go through to install the unit. It might save you some time. The head unit doesn't actually have to be removed!
Old 03-29-06, 09:03 PM
petergerst
Rookie

Default ipod integration

I am going to that vaistech.com website right now to check it out, but could someone just kind of give me the bottom line with this idea. I'm a die hard ipod person- my 60gb ipod is filled to capacity with my collection and I listen to it non stop. I have been using a cassette connection and I think the sound it pretty good. I am also considering the vaistech option. Is it worth it? will I notice a big difference as far as sound or ease of use? and what's the bottom line as far as price, installation, etc. I really appreciate the advice. I have an 04 dark green/saddle sc430 and still am enamored by my car but don't want to screw it up.
Old 03-29-06, 09:12 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I bought a 30G Ipod and started putting my 1200 CD collection on it. Right not I have 975 songs on it and I cannot notice any difference in sound quality from my CD's to the Ipod playback.

Don't go the FM modulator route, it's not very good but go with an aftermarket deck that has complete Ipod integration. I have the Alpine IVA-D300 DVD player and the Ipod interface and the deck controls the Ipod through the CD changer source. It takes a little time getting used to the controls but I'll never listen to the radio or CD's in my truck again.

Quick Reply: iPod integration