SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

bad launching at the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 05:52 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy bad launching at the track

So I figured I'd go to the track and get a base time before I start adding some real mods. I figured I gotta be somewhere in the high 14's. And so I thought! For mods all I have is a blitz intake filter and exhaust. Nothing much figured it might help a little but not much. I had 20's that might have slowed me down but they got 285's in the back I figure the extra grip cant hurt it too much and I had some extra weight from the spare tire kit but that cant be too bad either.

Anyways I go to the track and run a 15.6 I am like damn wtf is this then I look at my tach and I forgot to turn off traction control and ect pwr I am like ok that one was my fault it explains the time slip.

Second run I remember to turn vsc off and ect pwr on. I am like ok I am ready! I guess I wasnt revving too high because I got a 15.6 again now I am like hmm wtf

Its now almost 11 and last run of the night I am determined not to do crappy so I do a little burn out nothing dramatic. I line up and I am just staring at the tach making sure I rev high enough. I wanted to rev to 2500 but only managed to rev to 2000 at which point I took off. 15.3 time slip still pretty crappy in my eyes.

Given the track I was at is sorry and usually gives bad times to begin with, I think I need to launch closer to 3000 rpm. A stock IS350 ran 14.1 and a IS 300 with intake and exhaust ran a 15.6 for some comparison.

Anyone got some tips on how to launch? I am determined to get that 14 second time slip before I start adding performance mods.

Last edited by tonydt1g3r; 03-23-06 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-23-06, 06:15 AM
Marc82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you use 1 foot on the brake and other foot reving to 3k?
Old 03-23-06, 06:26 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Marc82
Do you use 1 foot on the brake and other foot reving to 3k?

well I havent revved to 3k I am thinking I need to, I only got up to 2k when I got my 15.3. But yes thats the method I use
Old 03-23-06, 06:29 AM
Marc82
Driver School Candidate

havent tried my car on track yet but usually i can rev to 4k or so... anything more my rear tires start burning out but brakes can hold the car still
Old 03-23-06, 07:38 AM
StasGS4
Driver

What I dont understand is how come the stock IS350 had better numbers then the modded IS350? Maybe modding the factory setup is the wrong way to go?
Old 03-23-06, 07:49 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StasGS4
What I dont understand is how come the stock IS350 had better numbers then the modded IS350? Maybe modding the factory setup is the wrong way to go?
I would put that down to driver error.

Jonny
Old 03-23-06, 07:54 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by StasGS4

oops my bad I meant a IS300 with intake and exhaust I edited my post thanks for catching the error
Old 03-23-06, 07:56 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tony,
Great job sharing your results. I would like to get a few runs in myself sometime. Maybe at Orl Speed World. I would also think that PWR on and VSC off would make a great deal of difference. I know I can feel a big difference. It must be the launch. You are very intuitive. Practice launches with variations.

What was your top speed?
Did you let off the throttle a bit to induce each shift or did you let the auto-trans do the shifting?

BTW I PM'd you the other day, no response.
Old 03-23-06, 08:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Tony,

Maybe I didn't see it, but what were your 60 foot times?

I would actually pull the negative battery cable for about 30 minutes and clear out that system on that SC before you head up to the track and lower the psi about 2 on those tires. What I like to do with my RX (you can read about it on my homepage) is leave it sit for at least 30 minutes before pulling it out on the track.

In one of your other posts you mention alignment, good call on that.

On those launches with an automatic...wait to put your foot on the throttle when the lights on the the tree start (they are using a sportsman tree, right?) and I would leave it at about 1500 rpm and then ram it on the third yellow. I have tried all variations of power braking, and even in other automatic vehicles and nothing works better.

I would actually dump the spare tire, jack.
Old 03-23-06, 09:07 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

For your viewing pleasure. and my misery

Billy my PM's arent on I cant check them you gotta email me at tonydt1g3r@aol.com

First timeslip is with vsc on and ect pwr off

second is vsc off ect pwr on and prob around 1k rpm

third is vsc off ect pwr on and 2k rpm

Lexmex I figure I should rev higher than that since the SC430 is heavier by far and I got 285's on the rear. my PSI is set at about 35PSI on 30 series tires. I got an alignment about an hour prior. and yea it uses a tree.
Old 03-23-06, 09:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r

For your viewing pleasure. and my misery

Billy my PM's arent on I cant check them you gotta email me at tonydt1g3r@aol.com

First timeslip is with vsc on and ect pwr off

second is vsc off ect pwr on and prob around 1k rpm

third is vsc off ect pwr on and 2k rpm

Lexmex I figure I should rev higher than that since the SC430 is heavier by far and I got 285's on the rear. my PSI is set at about 35PSI on 30 series tires. I got an alignment about an hour prior. and yea it uses a tree.
How are you staging, deep or shallow? I always stage shallow, bracket races or not, as I have my reaction times down to .500s-.600s 80% of the time, and that will give me slightly faster ETs.

Your curb weight is about 3800 lbs. and my RX300 AWD is about 3900 lbs. What I noticed with power braking at too high an RPM was that I was literally gulping all my air (even with the unique air mods I have done in the last year). I am at 7,400 feet in elevation at my track and I can clock 2.7s in the 60 foot on a regular basis (2.694 is my fastest), so I know at sea level I would be hauling. Although it takes some practice, I am very religious about not putting my foot on the throttle until the tree starts so I keep as much air as possible in the pipe.

I get an alignment almost every two weeks with the crap streets I have down here.

One thing I make sure to check before I leave (and I hope Moroso has it) is the temp, air pressure and humidity. My times can vary wildly depending on these three things.

I know when the track traffic and people in the crowd start showing up at my track, I can kiss good times goodbye, that is why I always race early.

I also shut off every last electrical device. I also clean off my MAF sensor.

Is your Blitz filter the SUS one?

BTW, though I am in Mexico, I grew up in Florida (Miami)
Old 03-23-06, 09:44 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my old 1996 SC400 to run a 15.1 by just playing around with the launch speed and taking out a bit of weight here and there (spare tire, back seat, trunk lining, passenger seat, etc...) The SC430 feels as if it should easily get down around 14.9's or so. I would recomend that you give it some time and keep practicing at the track till you get the right launch. Also, I had my best result by controlling the shift points myself (putting the car in first for the launch and getting as close to red line before popping it into second and so on) I know the automatic transmission on ETC Power is supposed to do this, but I always seemed to get a better time with this. I think that the ECU was used to my daily driving and was shifting at a lower rpm...

How was the weather, as you probably know, you will get better results on a dry / cool evening, than a humid / warm day.
Old 03-23-06, 09:48 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
How are you staging, deep or shallow? I always stage shallow, bracket races or not, as I have my reaction times down to .500s-.600s 80% of the time, and that will give me slightly faster ETs.

Your curb weight is about 3800 lbs. and my RX300 AWD is about 3900 lbs. What I noticed with power braking at too high an RPM was that I was literally gulping all my air (even with the unique air mods I have done in the last year). I am at 7,400 feet in elevation at my track and I can clock 2.7s in the 60 foot on a regular basis (2.694 is my fastest), so I know at sea level I would be hauling. Although it takes some practice, I am very religious about not putting my foot on the throttle until the tree starts so I keep as much air as possible in the pipe.

I get an alignment almost every two weeks with the crap streets I have down here.

One thing I make sure to check before I leave (and I hope Moroso has it) is the temp, air pressure and humidity. My times can vary wildly depending on these three things.

I know when the track traffic and people in the crowd start showing up at my track, I can kiss good times goodbye, that is why I always race early.

I also shut off every last electrical device. I also clean off my MAF sensor.

Is your Blitz filter the SUS one?

BTW, though I am in Mexico, I grew up in Florida (Miami)

Thanks for the info.

I am just staging where ever it tells me to stop didnt think there was alot of room either way.

I came in late to moroso, it starts at 6 I got there at 9 ish, so people had been running a while.

Yup I got the blitz SUS filter.

That last time slip I was just watching my tach and making sure i got it up to 2k since it was the end of the night and my last run I didnt care about R/T just wanted to get something better than 15.6

I will try not to put my foot on the gas till it starts lighting up thanks for the tips
Old 03-23-06, 10:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I also have the SUS Filter, great choice.

It is easy to shallow stage just pulling up and crossing where it just initiates the second staging light. Problem at U.S. tracks is the deep stage (writing DS or Deep Stage across your window), otherwise the guy starts the lights and you are not done.

We have no Lexus down here, but I have seen a few diplomatic plated SC430s (the guy I knew who had two left not too long ago. However, if I can ever get my hands on one, I will try it up at the track.

RobSoVIP, I have tried that on an automatic, where I take my foot off the gas ever so slightly to mimick shifts, but no better times with that system, where I try it with PWR ON or OFF. I even tried the lower gears, but nothing. Fastest I ever got up here was 17.931.
Old 03-23-06, 10:21 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Lexmex,

how big of a difference does going first and going last play? does the track just heat up or too much rubber on the pavement? Also what about humidity. since u lived in FL you know humidity is a ***** down here

Quick Reply: bad launching at the track