SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
Old 01-06-15, 04:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

FAQ - SC430 Car Cover - Which one? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 05:30 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgene
Has anyone taken a chance on this one on eBay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180715509272...S:1123&vxp=mtr

The image shown of the 5 layers looks just like those I've seen on other more expensive web sites. Of course, I know it's easy to copy pics/images -- so that's not sufficient evidence that this is a quality cover.

I did ask the seller how much the cover weighs -- about 7 pounds.

Thanks for your thoughts,
-gene
I noticed there are two or three different pictures representing different vehicle models and covers styles. Is the cover custom fix for the SC430, or a generic one cover that fits most mid side vehicles? The cover looks decent for the price and protection offered. If you desire a custom fit cover for your model expect to pay through the nose; otherwise it looks like a great price. Your call.
Old 01-31-15, 01:58 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgene
Has anyone taken a chance on this one on eBay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180715509272...S:1123&vxp=mtr
I bought one back in Dec when I saw the link. I didn't put it on the car until a week or so ago before a snowstorm was predicted (I've been using it as my daily driver so prior storms snowed on the car). My side of the garage has a motorcycle & lift in it so the SC has to live outside. My Benz has AWD so I use that one in really trashy weather although I don't mind driving the SC in snow I only do that when it's likely to only be me or 1 other in the car due to the hobbit seats in the back.

So I put the cover on the car. Feels sort of fuzzy and has what look like pinholes/perforations on both the outside and inside layers. They don't go all the way through so I'm thinking they're part of the "breathing" mechanism of the fabric.

It goes on well enough and is pretty form fitting. However, there's a strap that is supposed to run under the car and buckle into a piece hanging from the driver's side. Trying to adjust that while laying on the cold pavement was a minor PITA but made worse when the strap broke at the buckle (one of those plastic slip adjust ones). Came off almost like it was cut. Looking closely, it seemed the fabric took some kind of permanent crease from the position it was in the buckle piece and weakened it so pulling on it to tighten it tore the strap.

Two snow storms later (one a couple/three inches the other 8 or so) and having cleaned off the car/cover with each storm, I needed to take the SC out today due to an exploding soda can in the Benz (it was sitting in the console when the temps went below 0) - frozen diet coke froth all over the car (I vacuumed it later - didn't want to let it get warm and melt the frozen soda so took the SC instead).

The cover's fabric split in two places on the left & right side of the hood. One split was along a seam (seemed to be a thermally welded seam) right alongside the seam. The other was about 6" away from the seam on the main hood panel of the cover. One was about 18 inches long and the other about 30". Repaired both with Gorilla Duct Tape. It's holding for now but I don't hold out hope for more than a season before this thing hits the trash. Taking it off once led to two splits - who knows how many I'll get if I use it more regularly.

BTW, I the fabric was not split when I started to take it off so it must have split as I was pulling it off and turning the side over to the middle as I bundled it up to go in the garage.

YMMV but even at the $70 it cost me, it's not something I'll buy again for next winter.
Old 09-05-15, 03:43 PM
gospursgo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cover

Hi guys - I've searched but haven't located a thread recommending a decent cover for the SC430. Any thoughts? Thanks, Mark
Old 09-06-15, 12:44 PM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Check out Seal Skin, Google classic car covers. Don't have one but a friend does and swears by it!
Old 09-07-15, 12:14 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gospursgo
Hi guys - I've searched but haven't located a thread recommending a decent cover for the SC430. Any thoughts? Thanks, Mark
Hi GOSPURSGO

I have one of these

https://www.classicadditions.com/car...ar-covers.html

Had it for about three winters now and it is brilliant. It keeps my car in perfect condition and never marks the paintwork. You can even put it on when the car is wet. It is very soft and streches to fit.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-07-15, 02:27 PM
gospursgo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the suggestions.
Old 09-07-15, 04:27 PM
edwintt
Driver School Candidate

thats a great color
Old 09-08-15, 09:45 AM
texassc430
Driver School Candidate

Indoor or outdoor storage?
Old 09-08-15, 10:14 AM
gospursgo
Driver School Candidate

That is a beautiful color, WIL44.

texassc430: Outdoor — no garage, and I'll probably put it on at work, too. Anything to keep the San Antonio sun at bay.

Slingshot, I ordered a Seal Skin cover. Thanks for the recommendation! WIL44, I liked that one very much, but I had already placed my order.
Old 09-08-15, 11:48 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gospursgo
That is a beautiful color, WIL44.

texassc430: Outdoor — no garage, and I'll probably put it on at work, too. Anything to keep the San Antonio sun at bay.

Slingshot, I ordered a Seal Skin cover. Thanks for the recommendation! WIL44, I liked that one very much, but I had already placed my order.
Thanks for the compliments guys.

No problem gospursgo the one you have ordered is probably very similar.

In the UK they call my colour Montrose Blue, but you guys know it as Indigo Ink Pearl. A much sexier name lol.

Cheers
Steve
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (06-05-20)
Old 03-15-16, 06:31 PM
DocRock143
Driver School Candidate

Default Recommend a car cover for SC430?

Hi all...just got an 04 SC430. Unfortunately, my garage has my GX and my RX and the SC has to live outside much of the time. I'm in Southern Arizona where it is pretty sunny and hot. spring and summer.

Any recommendations for a good car cover? pros and cons? There are some trees near the car so it isn't in exposed sun all day.

I'm just thinking that it should have some exterior protection from tne sun and I'm looking for recommendations for a good,not-goiing-to-break-the-bank, car cover.

Thanks in advance.
Alan
Old 03-15-16, 09:34 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

Costco used to have a good car cover. It protects car from sun and rain very well. I still have it but I'm not using it because my SC is in the garage. I've tried to look for the name and/or the manufacturer but there wasn't any. Don't know if you can find it on line.
Old 03-16-16, 12:38 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 559 Likes on 303 Posts

swap the RX out.. you got a GX thats infinitely better and rotate the SC in problem solved.
Old 03-17-16, 05:04 AM
30API
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covercraft car cover

I have a covercraft weathershield cover that I would recommend. The cover is not cheap (I think about $250) but it is very high quality. The cover is custom fit and is easy on and off. Protects from rain and sun. I have had it for four months and very pleas d with its protection.
Old 10-27-17, 12:12 PM
LSS1951
Driver School Candidate

Default Cover for Car

I am often reluctant to leave my top down where anyone cafn see what is in the car and pick up any loose items or even open hood, trunk, etc. Does anyone know if there is a custom cover that would cover the car when top is down? If so, where might I find one?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by LSS1951; 10-27-17 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Wrong word

Quick Reply: FAQ - SC430 Car Cover - Which one? (Merged threads)