SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
Old 01-06-15, 04:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

FAQ - SC430 Car Cover - Which one? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 10:11 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

I have no idea who makes the OEM cover... but I do know it fit's like a glove...
Old 02-17-10, 04:18 AM
tinshield
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this one for my baby last month and it is aw some from CarCoversDirect, I also had the Lexus OEM and I much prefer this one, my wife has had it on her car for six years and still does the job very well.

Custom-Fit Car Cover
Part #:C16266PT
Model: SC430
Year: 2005
Features: Convertible
Material: WeatherShield® HP
Options: 2 Mirror Pockets
Color: Taupe
Quantity: 1
Price: $332.86
Old 02-17-10, 07:09 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

In Nov of '08 I ordered the same WeatherShield Custom-Fit Car Cover for my '02 SC (also taupe, and also from Car Covers Direct). I use it during the winter months to store the car outside, since I just don't drive it in the snow. I put my RX in my one car garage at that time so it stays warm for me. This cover is thin and light, but fully waterproof. I keep the battery charged with a battery tender and an extension cord. The cover protects the finish from birds and dirt and heavy snow, and is designed for outdoor use (but is light enough to use inside a garage, also. Highly recommended.
Old 02-17-10, 07:29 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tinshield and tfisher (and others)- Thanks for the info on your car covers. So both of you got the WeatherShield HP (not the WeatherShield HD)? I was about to order the WeatherShield HP but it doesn't look like it has the UV protection of the HD, however, the HD seems a bit heavy. Is the WeatherShield HP soft on the inside so not to scratch the car? Is it easy to get on and off car? The WeatherShield is made by CoverCraft and seems like top of the line.

I mostly want to protect the rubber seals across the top of the car so they don't dry out or corrode which happened with my 04 PB which is non-garage kept and no cover so far. So I assume UV protection is important - or maybe all good quality covers provide this. Also would be good to protect paint etc.

Have either of you have had any water leaks into your SC or seals around the top and trunk go bad? Do you use the cover daily or just when not driving the car for an extended period like in the Winter? I don't drive it in the winter and just am leaving it unprotected outside, however I do but am having problem keeping battery charged even if start up every few weeks so need to either drive occasionally or get a charger.

Thanks for your help,
Rustito
Old 02-17-10, 07:58 AM
tinshield
Driver School Candidate

Rustito I also live in Maryland as you can see we had a large amount of snow fall this year sadly to say my car is kept out side and have had to leaks with the cover what made me purchase this one is my wife has had one on her car which also is kept outside and hers is a 2004 she bought the cover when she bought the car and it still keeps the car perfect, now she has a 2004Z convertible and the rag top is still going strong. Depending where you live in Maryland you could stop by and see mine. We have too many toys in the garage already three motorcycles a 2006 Saleen plus a truck and another car have to sell some of them LOL as stated I also had the OEM Lexus cover but I much rather use the WeatherShield.
Old 02-17-10, 08:00 AM
tfischer

The HP is very light, and does not scratch the car. It is very easy to put on and take off, although I do not do that very much, and takes up little room when off the car.
I have had no problem with the gaskets on the car, but I park it indoors during the summer, and under the cover during the winter. As noted, for storage such as this, a battery tender is essential. If outdoors, the company makes an extension cord for the low voltage side so that you can keep the device box inside. Be sure to get a Battery Tender (brand), as a battery charger will over-charge when left on the car. The Battery Tender will stop the flow when the battery gets fully charged, and start again when needed; it comes with both clips to attach manually to the battery and with a connector that you can screw to the terminal connections and then it's just a matter of connecting a plug to the low voltage wire from the Tender. I don't use it all that much, but I still felt it worthwhile to use this method for a quick connect and disconnect.
Old 02-17-10, 08:26 AM
tfischer

Here's a shot of my SC430 under the cover in what the weatherguessers are calling this week's storm of the century. I find that this cover works well in protecting the car in the winter.
Attached Thumbnails FAQ - SC430 Car Cover - Which one?  (Merged threads)-img_0245.jpg  
Old 02-17-10, 08:33 AM
tinshield
Driver School Candidate

LOL that looks like mine this past week here in Maryland and you are right the cover protected my nicely of course I an **** I cleaned it off as soon as I could.
Old 02-17-10, 08:59 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Covercraft has a few different covers depending on your needs - both the outdoor weatherguard and some lighter indoor covers. Several colors, too. carcoverkingdom seems to be the cheapest place to buy them, but look around.
Old 02-17-10, 11:05 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

tfischer - I love the pic of your little SC under a pile of snow. I can relate to that (as tinshield) - here in Maryland we have had more snow than I want to think about. My SC was safe at the Lexus dealer getting her seals replaced. I think I will go ahead and order the WeatherShield HP - was thinking of grey but might go with taupe - want the most neutral color. Have you guys washed the cover? I assume the waterproofing holds up to washing.
Rustito
Old 02-17-10, 12:12 PM
tinshield
Driver School Candidate

I haven't washed mine by my wife has done hers several times, Rus trust me you won't be sorry, man I am dying to drive mine wish this snow would get out of here, now my wife is thinking about parting away her 350Z for one of the SC430 but she really loves the Z, good luck my friend and maybe some our paths will cross.
Old 02-17-10, 01:38 PM
tfischer

I actually got the taupe because that's the main color of my house, and it blends in that way and is less conspicuous. If this cover were for summer use, I might have gone with green because, as you can see, it is fairly woody back here, but the taupe works fine if you want to keep a low profile.

Last edited by tfischer; 02-17-10 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Deleted references to the men's figure skating costumes.
Old 02-18-10, 02:51 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Well just ordered my WeatherShild HP - decided to go with gray. Found best deal at carcoverkingdom.com - be sure to use the $20 off coupon on the home page if you buy from them. And although I ordered online I had a question and someone actually answered the phone who was very helpful.

Now issue is I want to be sure the car is clean before I use the cover and it is too cold to wash and Zaino. But the dealer water tested so it is overall clean. Perhaps we will get a decent day and I can do a fast and dirty on the dirt!!

Really appreciate all the help on this - seemed like a relatively straightforward issue but coming off the leak disaster I was hyper concerned with an immediate solution before things go bad again!! Hopefully they won't. Just sorry I didn't know this sooner or I would have never left the car unprotected. Hope others can learn from this.

Rustito
Old 08-19-10, 05:01 PM
DEO
Driver School Candidate

I have used the following for the last six years when storing my corvette and will be doing the same for my SC430. http://www.carcapsule.com/ It should be noted that I live in Wisconsin and my garage is insulated but not heated and there are times when the temperature gets below freezing. I also use a battery tender which has prolonged the life of the battery.
Old 08-19-10, 05:12 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm guessing he already found a car cover sometime between now a the last 9 years.

Quick Reply: FAQ - SC430 Car Cover - Which one? (Merged threads)