SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

White (Ecru) VS. Black Interior?? Just how hard is white interior to maintain ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 05:03 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question White (Ecru) VS. Black Interior?? Just how hard is white interior to maintain ??

I love Black interiors and always wanted to own a car with Black leather. The Black interior looks "old money" vs. the Ecru "new money". Saddle isn't even an option to me (as georgeous as it is) because I had Brown in my Range. So I'm over that color. I know the saddle is more NBA leather ball like but I still prefer Ecru (White) or Black. Just how hard is it for you ecru owners to maintain that cocaine White interior. By the way I have no kids just a Yorkie.

I find the Black appealing as it looks more appealing to me with that dark wood. It also looks as if could "hide" stains/marks better. I've slowly grown to like the light yellowish wood in the Ecru but still lean more to the Black and dark Brown is it appears richer. I'm torn guys so help me out. I'm also concerned about light colored seatbelts vs charcoal seatbelts. I don't mind detailing or conditioning my leather now and then but this can't be every Saturday morning. I'm sure you guys know where I'm coming from. Thanx in Advance CL
Old 01-21-06, 06:33 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default You have to keep it clean

Even though my interior is black, the A pillars, roof, and visors are white and are a *&^*!%*& to keep clean. Put 500 miles of open air touring on them and it will look filthy. I like the white as well as I had it in some other cars but after this I am very thankful that the interior is only partially white. The dust gets into the grain as well and requires a good cleaning to get out. If I had to do it all over again it would be black everywhere but this year SC did not offer that option. Later years were all black inside. So regardless of how I feel of the white, saddle, or any other color, I would choose black based on that alone.
Old 01-21-06, 06:49 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Even though my interior is black, the A pillars, roof, and visors are white and are a *&^*!%*& to keep clean. Put 500 miles of open air touring on them and it will look filthy. I like the white as well as I had it in some other cars but after this I am very thankful that the interior is only partially white. The dust gets into the grain as well and requires a good cleaning to get out. If I had to do it all over again it would be black everywhere but this year SC did not offer that option. Later years were all black inside. So regardless of how I feel of the white, saddle, or any other color, I would choose black based on that alone.
Thanx.....you made a great point regarding open aired driving and dust. I defintely will have the top down 50% of the time city and highway so the road dust and smog is definitely something I will consider. I'm leaning towards black as it is but was considering white cause it is pretty and great contrast for a dark colored car that I plan to get.

You mentioned the A pillars and visors. What material are they as I can't recall at the momement. As for the light pillars getting dirty, I know exactly what you mean. I had Brown/tan interior in my truck but they A pillars were white "mouse fur". I took it over with goo gone type solution or something and the plastic looked 10X better.

Last edited by LexLaw; 01-21-06 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-21-06, 07:30 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

I have always owned black cars with charcol or black interior. To me black is the sharpest looking color. When you polish up a black car no other color can compete. It is like getting dressed in a tuxedo. Now that being said, before buying my white sc430 I was on this sight doing my research like you are. When I saw Henry's, Mark's, Carlos' and Jeff's white sc's I fell in love. I personally think the sc looks better in white than black because of its size. It looks kind of small to me in black. The white color gives it a bit of presence. This is just my opinion. As for my ecru interior on the 05 I had. I loved the ecru with the light colored wood. It just looked exotic. Everywhere I parked and I mean everywhere people would just come up to the window and look in. Their Jaw would drop. I could have done a commercial for Lexus. Now with my 06 I don't have the light colored would anymore. It was replaced with the walnut witch is growing on me. As far as keeping the interior clean is concerned I got a new set of black factory mats that look amazing on the ecru because they match the black dash. I also got seatbelt pads in black vinyl so you never touch the seatbelt itself, and I always wear clean pants

All color sc's on this site look hot because of what their owners have done to them. So just pick what your heart tells you to. You can't go wrong

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-21-06, 08:11 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Yeah that vinyl seatbelt pad thing intrigues me. Especially if I could find some with L or Lexus on them. That would work well with my LEX LAW theme....but nah on the real that ecru is really growing on me with its birds eye maple. I know I've seen a few Blue with Ecru on CL and in person and they look great. I'll definitely do the black carpet mat thing. As for the pants thing I'm very careful with my denim. Half the time I'm suited up or in a pair of slacks anyway. I'm trying to keep it real grown and sexy with the SC. But the dust, road dirt thing that Pearl Power raised has me concerned. If I do my Monthly interior cleaning I guess I should be okay?? I'd like it to be some wipe and go type of thing. I like it real easy. But If I have to put in work, then I will. Please keep the insight and opinions coming guys. I truly appreciate it.
Old 01-22-06, 06:01 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Default seatbelt pad

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Yeah that vinyl seatbelt pad thing intrigues me. Especially if I could find some with L or Lexus on them. That would work well with my LEX LAW theme....but nah on the real that ecru is really growing on me with its birds eye maple. I know I've seen a few Blue with Ecru on CL and in person and they look great. I'll definitely do the black carpet mat thing. As for the pants thing I'm very careful with my denim. Half the time I'm suited up or in a pair of slacks anyway. I'm trying to keep it real grown and sexy with the SC. But the dust, road dirt thing that Pearl Power raised has me concerned. If I do my Monthly interior cleaning I guess I should be okay?? I'd like it to be some wipe and go type of thing. I like it real easy. But If I have to put in work, then I will. Please keep the insight and opinions coming guys. I truly appreciate it.
The ones I have are black vinyl, but the grain on them looks like leather. It really matches the grain or wrinkles if you will of the black dash. So it looks like a match. I really think the the ones that have the word Lexus written accross them may be a bit too much attention grabbing.

Great thing about them is they slide up and down the seatbelt so you never have to touch the belt, thus the ecru belt stays clean
Old 01-22-06, 06:27 AM
Onoyme
Driver School Candidate

The only part of the Ecru interior that has been a problem is the dreaded floor mats. Impossible to keep clean and expensive to replace.
Old 01-22-06, 07:59 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by camillian
The ones I have are black vinyl, but the grain on them looks like leather. It really matches the grain or wrinkles if you will of the black dash. So it looks like a match. I really think the the ones that have the word Lexus written accross them may be a bit too much attention grabbing.

Great thing about them is they slide up and down the seatbelt so you never have to touch the belt, thus the ecru belt stays clean
Good point on the excessiveness with the Logo seatbelt pads. I guess the vinyl pads would definitely be one of my first "mods" as it would be a necessity. The pads are those 8 inch long kinda things. How much do your faux leather pads run you?

As for the floormats Onoyme, I would definitely switch to a darker color or possibly use some scotchguard type solution.
Old 01-22-06, 08:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

You have to clean the ecru leather more often, & before they gets too dirty.
With our rainy weather, I use clear plastic weather proof floor mats, & I scotch guard the carpet areas.
Old 01-22-06, 11:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah the problem wit ecru is you really have to keep up with it, and a very slight mistake will leave you stains on the ecru where could very well be invisible on the black.

personally i choose black, especially if i drive the car often
Old 01-22-06, 05:43 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Good point on the excessiveness with the Logo seatbelt pads. I guess the vinyl pads would definitely be one of my first "mods" as it would be a necessity. The pads are those 8 inch long kinda things. How much do your faux leather pads run you?

As for the floormats Onoyme, I would definitely switch to a darker color or possibly use some scotchguard type solution.
seat belt pads are made by "Case Logic" and ran me $7.99ea. at my local "Canadian Tire" (low end auto parts store). They are actually the cheapest thing I have bought for this car and the things I use the most. I got a set of 4 black Lexus sc430 floor mats from my dealer at cost, ran me $145.00

Oh by the way these prices are in Canadian dollars.
Old 01-22-06, 07:00 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by camillian
seat belt pads are made by "Case Logic" and ran me $7.99ea. at my local "Canadian Tire" (low end auto parts store). They are actually the cheapest thing I have bought for this car and the things I use the most. I got a set of 4 black Lexus sc430 floor mats from my dealer at cost, ran me $145.00

Oh by the way these prices are in Canadian dollars.
Thanx good to know

Yeah I think it's virtually a toss up right now between the 2 interior choices of Black or Ecru. I prefer a Blue then Purple followed by Black as a "3rd" choice. I figure I'll have more to choose from dealer wise if I go with those colors. That's 6 diff combos so hopefully a dealer won't hold me hostage.
Old 01-24-06, 11:42 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ecru and I like it, maintenence wise no one can argue that your going to have to work harder.

Like someone mentioned earlier carpets are a pain. The trick with ecru mats are to throw them in a washing machine at the laundry mat. They got those big washing machines and dryers that make your mats look new when they come out. I bought a CPO and they didnt give me new ones until I asked and they mailed me some. In the meantime they were dirty so from a tip from my friend I threw them in the industrial size washing machine and dryer and they came out looking better than the new ones I recieved in the mail.

Ecru does get dirty easier, but if you leave the top down often and if you live in a sunny area like I do in FL. It gets hot as hell and black leather + sun + your *** = . Thats just my opinion. cleaning is a bit more tedious, just use lexol cleaner every time you wash your car and you should be fine. Also condition your leather often and you should be fine. Its not super bad just a little more work that black.

You should really get the color you want yes ecru might be a little more work but if you like the color its worth it.

BTW I paid $8 for a can of scotch guard and to me that stuff doesnt work
Old 01-27-06, 12:46 PM
howardde
Driver School Candidate

Default HELP...Ecru Leather is Very Dirty

Okay, so I've never washed my black '02 SC430 myself...I just don't have time because of work. So I generally have it handwashed here at work in the garage. They "condition" the leather everytime they wash it (I don't ask them to, but I guess its habit on their part). As far as I can tell, they don't clean the leather first.

Well, as a consequence of not having cleaned my driver's seat, it kinda looks gray because of the dirt with layers of conditioner on top of the dirt, built up over the past year. Its also kinda slick feeling in places. When I look/feel they back seats, they are much whiter and have a dry, almost chalky feel to them that feels like the seats in the new SC430 at my local dealer.

Is there anyway to get my front seats back in shape? I bought the Lexus leather cleaner and conditioner a year ago and have never used it. Can I take my car to a detail shop and see if they have like a powerful wet/dry vac leather cleaning device that could really deep clean the leather? Someone told be use to a leather cleaning brush to really work out the dirt. Thing is, I don't want to deal with it...I just want it done. I also want the seats to have that dry feeling to them not the slick feeling/look that they have now in the front.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-06, 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you want to pay a bit higher price, you can always re-dye the seats, that's supposed to be the best option to "re-new" the seats.

i know what you mean with the slick feel, i think that's kinda "normal" though, coz' over the yrs with you sitting on it, all the rubbing and such will "smooth" out the leather giving it that shiny look. i always clean and condition my seats and in my gs400 (1998) also have that slick look now. same with a lot of black (most noticeable) leather cars i have seen

the color change, of course, is another story