SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Well, my worst fear has been realized...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-01, 04:43 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of things occur to me as I read this thread.

1. Man I feel for you. How could that pr**k do that to your car and you?

2. Doesn't your garage have any security cameras? Why haven't they installed them after the first few times this guy struck?

3. Aren't they responsible for damages on their property, especially if you are paying them for the privilege of parking there?

Hope you get the b**stard and teach him how to sing soprano :eek:
Old 08-14-01, 09:21 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Originally posted by RealMarty
A couple of things occur to me as I read this thread.

1. Man I feel for you. How could that pr**k do that to your car and you?

2. Doesn't your garage have any security cameras? Why haven't they installed them after the first few times this guy struck?

3. Aren't they responsible for damages on their property, especially if you are paying them for the privilege of parking there?

Hope you get the b**stard and teach him how to sing soprano :eek:
1. I don't know what is wrong with some people or how doing this could possibly give them any type of pleasure.

2. Building management is finally acknowledging that there is a problem, and is looking into the possibility of cameras.

3. I threatened to sue the building just to get them off their butts. They have come back all the standard disclaimers (park at your own risk, etc.), but I had a court case which holds building management responsible if they knew about continuing property damage but fail to take reasonable steps to stop it. We'll see where this goes.
Old 08-15-01, 01:47 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

This is a nightmare and I hope they get this guy, tie him up and key him.

I can't understand why people would want to do this.

Sweet justice would be if someone keyed his own car sometime.

SC430 keyed, that is just wrong.

Old 08-15-01, 05:05 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexguynj
....Sweet justice would be if someone keyed his own car sometime....
Unfortunately, the odds are HE drives a 20-year-old Yugo POS.
Old 12-18-12, 06:14 AM
PoppaLS
Driver School Candidate

RodF; any updates. Did ya'll identifiy the #~&%*$?
Old 12-18-12, 08:39 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PoppaLS
RodF; any updates. Did ya'll identifiy the #~&%*$?
They set up cameras but never caught him. The keyings did stop as a result.
Old 12-18-12, 11:12 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RodF
1. I don't know what is wrong with some people or how doing this could possibly give them any type of pleasure.

2. Building management is finally acknowledging that there is a problem, and is looking into the possibility of cameras.

3. I threatened to sue the building just to get them off their butts. They have come back all the standard disclaimers (park at your own risk, etc.), but I had a court case which holds building management responsible if they knew about continuing property damage but fail to take reasonable steps to stop it. We'll see where this goes.
Some methods are available to hold the building responsible despite the disclaimers. They're sort of a transparent shield that people hide behind, but sometimes you can still hold them liable. Trust me, I'm an attorney. Lol, PM me if you're in FLA.

I'm sorry about what happened to your car. That's probably all of our fellow CL members' nightmare too. :/

Last edited by playa3uhh; 12-18-12 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-18-12, 10:49 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

horrible, this used to happen alot around here. I can relate because, although this is not something that heppend to as nice of a ride as an SC- it happen to something i put alot into. I had an amaxing sound system in a mazda mx6...car sucked but I put alot into that stereo and I had a nice CD collection. Needless to say someone broke in and took everything including my cds. I knew it had to be someone that knew me or followed me as I never play music once I get into my neighborhood to respect families and the community (played music just not loud enough for you to know I had anything). Long story short I never found out who it was and you know what maybe im wrong and its not someone i know or that followed me. All you can do is fix your car and move on. If you can park somewhere where your car is more visable even if its in the sun then you should do it. In life there are alot of haters, they think we all inherited some fortune which allowed us to drive an SC which for alot of us on here that is not true. Its horrible that these things happen but at the end of the day its a car, at least you and your family are in tact- so as cheesy as that sounds...thats something to be thankful for.
Old 12-19-12, 09:08 AM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about this I hope you catch that sucker and castrate him!
Old 12-19-12, 03:42 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
horrible, this used to happen alot around here. I can relate because, although this is not something that heppend to as nice of a ride as an SC- it happen to something i put alot into. I had an amaxing sound system in a mazda mx6...car sucked but I put alot into that stereo and I had a nice CD collection. Needless to say someone broke in and took everything including my cds. I knew it had to be someone that knew me or followed me as I never play music once I get into my neighborhood to respect families and the community (played music just not loud enough for you to know I had anything). Long story short I never found out who it was and you know what maybe im wrong and its not someone i know or that followed me. All you can do is fix your car and move on. If you can park somewhere where your car is more visable even if its in the sun then you should do it. In life there are alot of haters, they think we all inherited some fortune which allowed us to drive an SC which for alot of us on here that is not true. Its horrible that these things happen but at the end of the day its a car, at least you and your family are in tact- so as cheesy as that sounds...thats something to be thankful for.
Robert, sorry to hijack this, where did you get your strut bar?

Thanks.

PS: An ounce of prevention is better than...so lesson learned on cars...but sorry to have things like this happen to anybody!
Old 12-22-12, 03:19 PM
momssc
Driver

I had some ahole back into my wifes rear bumper cover twice. I just changed the cover this morning..
Old 12-23-12, 06:06 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by playa3uhh
Some methods are available to hold the building responsible despite the disclaimers. They're sort of a transparent shield that people hide behind, but sometimes you can still hold them liable. Trust me, I'm an attorney. Lol, PM me if you're in FLA./
Maybe there are really long statute of limitations in Florida, but the original message was posted eleven years ago.
Old 12-23-12, 06:55 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Here's a little tidbit of knowledge that I pass along without charge at this Christmas season of giving, and this was also true 11 years ago: the garage management is only liable for damage to your car when the garage staff parks the car. When the driver parks the car, the risk of damage remains with the car owner. The legal relationship between the garage, the driver and the car is very different in the two situations, which is another reason (in addition to paying for parkers, which requires higher fees to the customer) why so many garages and lots are self-park.
Amazingly, some people don't know this.
Now you do.
Merry C.
Old 12-23-12, 08:45 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

While self-park does not create a bailment, are you saying that a self-park facility can not contractually limit their liability as part of the terms for renting the parking space?
Old 12-23-12, 09:08 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm not sure I understand that question, Johnny.
Self park is essentially a space rental contract, and as you note there is no bailment. The liability of the facility (like that of a landlord) is thus very limited under any circumstances. Terms can be even more limited by language on the back of the parking ticket, but those terms are seldom enforceable because courts find that there is not a knowing agreement between the parties (unlike waivers in a real lease that the parties review and agree to sign). Facilities can try, as they always do (read the waivers imposed on you when you take the ski lift), but unilateral incantations of limitations don't often stand up should litigation ensue.