SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 05:16 AM
ALSHUBCAPS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just get the tpms reset, i know the sensors are a good thing to have & cheaper then destroying a tire
Old 07-03-13, 10:45 AM
LexiTwo
Driver School Candidate

I live in Ontario Canada. Is there any reason a Lexus dealer cannot disable the TPM or do they just refuse
Old 07-08-13, 04:56 AM
ALSHUBCAPS
Driver School Candidate

I can't speak for canada but in the u.s. it is now illegal for a dealer to disable your tpms sensors
Old 07-10-13, 03:33 PM
LexiTwo
Driver School Candidate

RE: US law making it illegal for dealers to disarm tpms. I find it difficult to believe that some models of cars have them and others don't. You can't pass legislation to apply to only some cars and not others. I suspect dealers would rather sell parts at ridiculous prices, and claim they are not allowed to disarm.
Up here in Canada, SC430s shipped to Canada only have the warning light, not the chime, according to my dealer. Canadian cars don't have a "time for maintenance" light either.
Old 07-12-13, 01:31 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexiTwo
RE: US law making it illegal for dealers to disarm tpms. I find it difficult to believe that some models of cars have them and others don't. You can't pass legislation to apply to only some cars and not others. I suspect dealers would rather sell parts at ridiculous prices, and claim they are not allowed to disarm.
Up here in Canada, SC430s shipped to Canada only have the warning light, not the chime, according to my dealer. Canadian cars don't have a "time for maintenance" light either.
Im also in Ontario, Canada.. I agree that its stupid you can't have it disabled by choice.

and I have had other cars with tpms and they weren't annoying like the lexus! I notice the small stuff is all freakinn annoying, even changing your bulbs, specially the fog lights which is a PAINN.

I actually have a US car so once i got new wheels, the light was solid for few months with no beep or anything.. then randomly one day it started blinking and beeping, the most annoying sound in the world.. I took it to the dealer they said by law they could not remove it. So i disabled it myself and took less then 5 min, no light on dash, no sound. Can drive peacefully now !!!

Last edited by 416tt; 07-12-13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 06:43 AM
ALSHUBCAPS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexiTwo
actually all cars since 2007 model year have some form of tpms, direct tpms-- a sensor, either valve or band(as some ford have had).
the either type is indirect which works off of the abs sensor & goes by rolling circumference, these are not as accurate, can not tell you pressure or which wheel is even low but they do not go bad.

according to nhtsa: However, a motor vehicle repair business that goes on to make any other element of the TPMS system inoperative, for example, by disabling the malfunction indicator lamp, would violate the “make inoperative” provision.”
Like it or not that is the law, you can do it on your own but don't ask your dealer or a repair shop to violate the law as a favor to you & the fine is a lot more then the $20 you want to flip him.
al
Old 12-04-13, 05:16 AM
McCleod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALSHUBCAPS
I can't speak for canada but in the u.s. it is now illegal for a dealer to disable your tpms sensors
I do not mind the sensors, but I had one fixed and shortly after leaving the dealership (two days) the light came on again. I was told the other three need replacement and the cost is significant. I am planning to buy four new wheels from the dealership - if I had the sensors repaired at the same time - should the cost be less due to overlapping labor in the two processes. Thank you for your help, McCleod
Old 12-09-13, 05:21 AM
ALSHUBCAPS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by McCleod
I do not mind the sensors, but I had one fixed and shortly after leaving the dealership (two days) the light came on again. I was told the other three need replacement and the cost is significant. I am planning to buy four new wheels from the dealership - if I had the sensors repaired at the same time - should the cost be less due to overlapping labor in the two processes. Thank you for your help, McCleod
First off, TPMS sensors can't really be repaired. if the battery is dead or dying the sensor needs to be replaced. If the sensor is leaking & it is from the rubber grommet or valve pin then yes those are replaced & are cheap(at least outside the dealer).
As for saving money by replacing sensor when you change wheels, again i can't speak for the dealer but the way my shop does it, sensor install is just dismounting a tire, bolting it in is just 2 minutes so we don't charge, it is just the mounting & balancing that we charge for.
Your sensors will need to be reset & at the dealer that can be very expensive. You may want to look for a tire dealer to do the reset.
al
Old 12-09-13, 11:06 AM
boxdude
Driver School Candidate

Default Have you tried the reset button?

I just found out that after a tire change the reset button must be used to remove the light> I caan't believe no one has mentioned that there IS a reset button under the dash! There are even a few videos on U TUBE that show where the button is located. It's under the dash just to the right of the steering column about where your right knee would be. Search on U Tube... give it a try...it worked for me!!!!
Old 06-08-14, 04:56 AM
omarhashim
Driver School Candidate

Default Simply 2 mins Job!

Hi Mandy,

I specifically created this account to thank you for the above efforts. I went to Lexus Showroom yesterday, paid them $100 for a technical report which confirmed that 2 (left side) sensors are not working and there is no way i can get rid of the error in screen until i replace the sensors ($260).

I used a nail clipper side to open the seat heater and managed to disconnect the cables in 2 mins.

Thank you again!!
Old 10-27-15, 08:59 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

So here I sit, in the Lexus if Westmont showroom. Once again waiting to have my TPMS system reset. This is the third time I have come in for this problem in the last year. I understand the option of just disabling the system as clearly indicated in this thread and although easy enough to do, I do feel the system in a beneficial aspect of safety and thus choose to keep it active. The frustration comes every season when I switch from winter to summer tires, and vice versa. Maybe someone can shed some light on this problem. All my sensors are new and have good battery and signal strength when tested. Is Lexus not programming them correctly? Are they removing the previous programmed info from the first set? From my understanding, after changing tires I should be able to change the switch in the glove box to avoid the tpms light. This has never been the issue. I literally have to bring it in everytime. What's the point of the switch if I have to bring it in everytime? So frustrating, and even more so since no other tire shop has the proper reset tool. Does the Techstream software and tool work to program the TPMS system? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-27-15, 01:51 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Hey Shawn, Yes tech stream will do all of this for you. For some reason, I thought you had tech stream. If not, it sure is worth the $25-50 you would pay.

I purchased a little XP laptop from a guy at work for $40, I loaded tech stream and good to go...

BTW, I just deleted the lost original key fobs that were still programmed to my car, using tech stream.

Last edited by Bgw70; 12-04-15 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-27-15, 02:07 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I do not have the second set so I could not register any sensors...as you can see it is very easy...

The steps are the same for the main set of tires.
Old 10-29-15, 09:31 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for the reply BGW. Nope, don't have it... yet. Really considering it. I do have an old laptop running Windows XP 32 bit. I heard the TechStream would require a WinXP 64 bit, though. Can anyone confirm, or possibly point me in the direction of where to purchase the right cable, adapters, software, etc for my XP 32bit computer (or Win7-64bit) and my 2002 SC430? Thanks.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 10-29-15 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-29-15, 10:33 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Mine runs on a 32bit Windows XP laptop. It is more difficult to setup on 64bit.
You should have no issues loading the software, just be sure to read the instructions twice because they are written poorly.

Here is a list of vendors from eBay. TechStream vendors

The vendor I used does not sell this item anymore.
Look for vendors who are stateside and have good feedback.
I paid about $18 shipped, it included the cable and software.

DO NOT TRY TO UPGRADE THE CABLE FIRMWARE, YOU MAY BRICK THE CABLE. Not yelling, just making a point.
Also, ignore any and all upgrade messages and any type of software messages, just use the software.

Quick Reply: How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?