Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 430
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?

Old 05-13-13, 05:16 AM   #181
ALSHUBCAPS
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

why not just get the tpms reset, i know the sensors are a good thing to have & cheaper then destroying a tire
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
ALSHUBCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 10:45 AM   #182
LexiTwo
Driver School Candidate

I live in Ontario Canada. Is there any reason a Lexus dealer cannot disable the TPM or do they just refuse
LexiTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 04:56 AM   #183
ALSHUBCAPS
Driver School Candidate

I can't speak for canada but in the u.s. it is now illegal for a dealer to disable your tpms sensors
Old 07-10-13, 03:33 PM   #184
LexiTwo
Driver School Candidate

RE: US law making it illegal for dealers to disarm tpms. I find it difficult to believe that some models of cars have them and others don't. You can't pass legislation to apply to only some cars and not others. I suspect dealers would rather sell parts at ridiculous prices, and claim they are not allowed to disarm.
Up here in Canada, SC430s shipped to Canada only have the warning light, not the chime, according to my dealer. Canadian cars don't have a "time for maintenance" light either.
LexiTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 01:31 PM   #185
bimmer416
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiTwo View Post
RE: US law making it illegal for dealers to disarm tpms. I find it difficult to believe that some models of cars have them and others don't. You can't pass legislation to apply to only some cars and not others. I suspect dealers would rather sell parts at ridiculous prices, and claim they are not allowed to disarm.
Up here in Canada, SC430s shipped to Canada only have the warning light, not the chime, according to my dealer. Canadian cars don't have a "time for maintenance" light either.
Im also in Ontario, Canada.. I agree that its stupid you can't have it disabled by choice.

and I have had other cars with tpms and they weren't annoying like the lexus! I notice the small stuff is all freakinn annoying, even changing your bulbs, specially the fog lights which is a PAINN.

I actually have a US car so once i got new wheels, the light was solid for few months with no beep or anything.. then randomly one day it started blinking and beeping, the most annoying sound in the world.. I took it to the dealer they said by law they could not remove it. So i disabled it myself and took less then 5 min, no light on dash, no sound. Can drive peacefully now !!!

Last edited by bimmer416; 07-12-13 at 01:43 PM..
bimmer416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 06:43 AM   #186
ALSHUBCAPS
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiTwo View Post
actually all cars since 2007 model year have some form of tpms, direct tpms-- a sensor, either valve or band(as some ford have had).
the either type is indirect which works off of the abs sensor & goes by rolling circumference, these are not as accurate, can not tell you pressure or which wheel is even low but they do not go bad.

according to nhtsa: However, a motor vehicle repair business that goes on to make any other element of the TPMS system inoperative, for example, by disabling the malfunction indicator lamp, would violate the “make inoperative” provision.”
Like it or not that is the law, you can do it on your own but don't ask your dealer or a repair shop to violate the law as a favor to you & the fine is a lot more then the $20 you want to flip him.
al
Old 12-04-13, 05:16 AM   #187
McCleod
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSHUBCAPS View Post
I can't speak for canada but in the u.s. it is now illegal for a dealer to disable your tpms sensors
I do not mind the sensors, but I had one fixed and shortly after leaving the dealership (two days) the light came on again. I was told the other three need replacement and the cost is significant. I am planning to buy four new wheels from the dealership - if I had the sensors repaired at the same time - should the cost be less due to overlapping labor in the two processes. Thank you for your help, McCleod
McCleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 05:21 AM   #188
ALSHUBCAPS
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCleod View Post
I do not mind the sensors, but I had one fixed and shortly after leaving the dealership (two days) the light came on again. I was told the other three need replacement and the cost is significant. I am planning to buy four new wheels from the dealership - if I had the sensors repaired at the same time - should the cost be less due to overlapping labor in the two processes. Thank you for your help, McCleod
First off, TPMS sensors can't really be repaired. if the battery is dead or dying the sensor needs to be replaced. If the sensor is leaking & it is from the rubber grommet or valve pin then yes those are replaced & are cheap(at least outside the dealer).
As for saving money by replacing sensor when you change wheels, again i can't speak for the dealer but the way my shop does it, sensor install is just dismounting a tire, bolting it in is just 2 minutes so we don't charge, it is just the mounting & balancing that we charge for.
Your sensors will need to be reset & at the dealer that can be very expensive. You may want to look for a tire dealer to do the reset.
al
Old 12-09-13, 11:06 AM   #189
boxdude
Driver School Candidate

Default Have you tried the reset button?

I just found out that after a tire change the reset button must be used to remove the light> I caan't believe no one has mentioned that there IS a reset button under the dash! There are even a few videos on U TUBE that show where the button is located. It's under the dash just to the right of the steering column about where your right knee would be. Search on U Tube... give it a try...it worked for me!!!!
boxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-14, 04:56 AM   #190
omarhashim
Driver School Candidate

Default Simply 2 mins Job!

Hi Mandy,

I specifically created this account to thank you for the above efforts. I went to Lexus Showroom yesterday, paid them $100 for a technical report which confirmed that 2 (left side) sensors are not working and there is no way i can get rid of the error in screen until i replace the sensors ($260).

I used a nail clipper side to open the seat heater and managed to disconnect the cables in 2 mins.

Thank you again!!
omarhashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-14, 04:56 AM

Tags
cars, disable, disabling, disconnecting, g35, lexus, monitor, pressure, rims, sc430, sensor, thay, tire, tpms, turning