SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

06 Tail light install with PICS

Old 01-05-06, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430uk
hi guys, just ordered the new style lights from lexus in the uk, the parts people dont know jack. tried to fob me off by saying that it the upgrade wont work. still ordered the lights thou, will take about 2 weeks to come, so its down to lee now to find a way to bypass warning.

Hey any of you know what the 16 wires on the back of the speedo are for?
you are in uk or california?!
Old 01-05-06, 11:11 AM
sc430uk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uk, manchester, this site didnt allow me to put the uk.USA is great for modding the sc430, you can hardly get anything here. Most of the equipment ive used have come from the US. any news on lee?
Old 01-06-06, 09:58 AM
RMR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have reviewed the Repair Manual with hopes of tracking down the signal which controls the light-out indicator and as I suspected, there is limited information on the signal to the combination meter (CM) circuit, which triggers this LED.

The schematic is limited and does not provide an internal pin connection from the CM CPU to the actual LED which displays this warning. In order to determine which trace to cut, it wil be required to take the CM apart, and determine this LED signal which can be cut.

The best solution in my opinion is to simply block the light as was indicated earlier. If you are somewhat skilled, you may be able to take the CM apart and cut the trace, but if you are not skilled, I would use the tape method.

Unfortunately, it appears the signal which generates this signal which appears to be located in another ECU module located in the luggage area, and the signals are multplexed to the CM CPU. Without a detatiled schematic, it is a crap shoot, and even if one where to determine the correct value, it may be a multi-layer board that cannot be modified easily.

In a nut-shell, again, unless you replace the ECM, the best resolve is to simply block the warning light with tape as was sugested earlier. This is NOT a critical warning indicator, so doing this is not going to make much of a difference.

NICE430
Old 01-06-06, 12:04 PM
sc430uk
Driver

thanks for the help chappy, cant wait to get my lights.
Old 01-06-06, 01:28 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well what voltage is it expecting, because couldnt you just splice a nearby wire to return the correct voltage?
Old 01-06-06, 11:48 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I will work with Carson next week on obtaining the light control ecm to see if that corrects the issue which it does for other Toyota models.

Lee
Old 01-07-06, 12:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I will work with Carson next week on obtaining the light control ecm to see if that corrects the issue which it does for other Toyota models.

Lee
that's awesome lee, i think that might be the ultimate fix
Old 01-07-06, 03:05 AM
sc430uk
Driver

where is the ecu for the lights, and is it expensive to buy?
Old 01-07-06, 05:25 AM
MNPine

this may have been asked before but do the 06 tail lights give the light burned out indicator in the 06 or is this not indicator on the 06? if it is supported in the 06 then it would seem one of the solutions suggested would work besides the black tape.
Old 01-07-06, 10:48 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

YAHOOOOO~~~ hope this works..........
Old 01-07-06, 03:05 PM
RMR
Rookie

I don't know about the 06 burn't out light indicator, but given my SC is an 03, and the current on the LED brake lights is much less than the filament type, the system believes there is an open filament.

The tape in the combination meter (dash) works just fine, and is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the ECU. Placing the tape takes about 20 minutes if you have some mechanical skills and does a fine job.
The likelyhood of the LED brake/tail lights ever burning out is slim, so the warning indicator function may be a mute point anyhow. There may not be a brake-tail light warning in the 06 given that fact.

The tape works just fine in my 03.

NICE430
Old 01-08-06, 06:19 PM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

those look amazing
Old 01-09-06, 10:51 AM
RMR
Rookie

Default Method for Masking the Light-Out LED

This is the procedure I used to eliminate the tail/brake bulb-out warning when upgrading to the 06 assembly, and works just fine and is clean.

Removing the combination meter or ntrusment panel (CM) requires simply pulling of the facia cover (no screws on this cover), then carefully removing the odo/trip reset plug. Make sure the wheel is all the way down and out to facilatate removal. Once this is removed, there are four screws holding the entire CM. Use a magenetic philips screwdriver to ensure these do not fall into the bowels of the dash.

Once the screws are removed, carefully disconnect the single plug to the CM meter and take it to an area where you can work on it while not scratching the plastic. Remove the plastic cover and bezel by carefully depressing the pastic latches (tabs) which hold them in place. Carfull not to allow the meter needles to be damaged. Now, CAREFULLY pull the dash indicator plastic just enough to access the area where the warning light is and place a small piece of black electrical tape over this insdicator. Do not move it to much which may damage the indicator needle. Carefully replace (snap) all covers, replace the CM and facia and the issue is resolved. Much cheaper than relplacing the ECM/ECU (if it is even possible that this will be effective) and it works just fine.

Given the LEDS will last many, many times longer than a bulb filament, this seems the way to go... forget about the warning light as it will likely never be an issue with a LED indicator.

NICE430
Old 01-09-06, 11:00 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Granted it does look ok as I have done it a while back, but many here are looking for a real solution vs. using tape which I would agree with as well. I have already communicated with Carson on this and should know something shortly. Of course if the price is prohibitive, perhaps we can get a group buy on some tape.
Lee
Old 01-09-06, 11:05 AM
RMR
Rookie

Lee,

As long as it is "Lexus Approved" tape

NICE430

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 Tail light install with PICS