SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

06 Tail light install with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 09:57 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXINIT
Lee, on my 94 Supra, I changed a small control unit in the trunk when I went to the nicer 98 tail lights. This small box was for a 98 model of course and basically fooled the system into thinking the car was a 98...The warning light issues was solved...Find out if the SC has such a control unit...(was a yellow box 2 inches square)...Nice Write up !!
Hughie....FL
That is exactly what I am hoping for and during this entire process something happened that leads me to believe that there is a control unit for these lights. Will know more once the wiring book gets here. Thanks for sharing Hughie.

Henry, the dash light for the burned out bulb appears to only work with taillights, brake lights, and headlights. Foglights and sidemarkers that are burned out do not appear to set it off. At least on my car.

Lee
Old 11-22-05, 10:36 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice Pearlpower

Does the 06' taillights sit as flush as the stock lights?
Old 11-22-05, 10:41 PM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which part of the tail light lights up when the headlights are on? Which part lights up when the brake pedal is pressed? Is the entire headlamp LED with the exception of the turn signal?
Old 11-22-05, 11:27 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sexylexysc430
Which part of the tail light lights up when the headlights are on? Which part lights up when the brake pedal is pressed? Is the entire headlamp LED with the exception of the turn signal?
See pic above that has the brakes lights on. Brakes off looks the same, just not as bright. Same part of light.
Lee
Old 11-23-05, 12:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man i should read the sc430 forum less, it makes me very sad
Old 11-23-05, 01:07 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
man i should read the sc430 forum less, it makes me very sad
Shoudln't. This way others like myself will make the mistakes first and then the road to mod will be smoother.
Lee
Old 11-23-05, 01:08 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 007
Very nice Pearlpower

Does the 06' taillights sit as flush as the stock lights?
Hello, I believe they are a tad higher than the pre 06 lights. probably to match that new 06 bug eye headlights. Nothing bad though. Looks very good from all angles. Many compliments already.
Lee
Old 11-23-05, 04:06 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Helpful Tread.

Have any pics from further away?
Old 11-24-05, 08:24 AM
MNPine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any news on control box so the burned out light does not display?

If there is a control box is the burned out light required any more with the LEDs?
Old 11-24-05, 07:51 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Lee, would you mind a similar 'documentation' when you take the dash apart to pull the bulb? I need to get in there, now that my car developed an extremely annoying sound right behind the center air vents just yesterday, after hitting a rather small bump (the drop that spilled the bucket, I guess).

As a comment, my BMW motorcycle (K1200RS) has the same burned-bulb 'feature'. And the bad news is it's built into the ECU. Somebody clever enough developed a board full of LEDs with all the electronics bulit-in, including a pair of resistors to draw enough current not to let the system think a bulb is burned out (LEDs draw a lot less current). On one side, motorcycles have the taillight on all the time, even in scorching heat, and no problems. On the other, it can also be corrected with outside resistors, but no way I'd do something like that to my car or bike.

In case of the car, why the heck do you need the idiot light for now? The LEDs will outlive the car. And if you have a burned headlight bulb you'd notice immediately anyway. I'd definitely pull the dash light out. Hey, we need the instructions Lee <he he>.
Old 11-29-05, 11:29 PM
JJRHO
Driver

Default load resistor

hi lee, what is the rating on that resistor you are using? i noticed that the sites selling LED bulbs sell these load resistors and they are fairly hefty size units that can take alot of current...

also, have you ever changed your front parking light in the main headlight housing? i think it's a 168 bulb....my one side is out and i want to get something a bit more white/blue... as i'm thinking of getting some 6000K D2Ss as well....

jimR
02 sc430
loma linda
Old 11-29-05, 11:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JJRHO
hi lee, what is the rating on that resistor you are using? i noticed that the sites selling LED bulbs sell these load resistors and they are fairly hefty size units that can take alot of current...

also, have you ever changed your front parking light in the main headlight housing? i think it's a 168 bulb....my one side is out and i want to get something a bit more white/blue... as i'm thinking of getting some 6000K D2Ss as well....

jimR
02 sc430
loma linda
yeah if i have time i will try changing out those bulbs on the sides as well, they look ugly

changed to 6000k in the headlights this past weekend, love it
Old 11-30-05, 02:16 PM
RMR
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah if i have time i will try changing out those bulbs on the sides as well, they look ugly

changed to 6000k in the headlights this past weekend, love it
Folks,
Just be careful if you try replacing a fog-light bulb.... what a major pain in the a.. that is!

You have to actually remove the fog-light assembly to get the "bulb" out.... which isn't just a bulb, it has a harness that is tack-welded to the bulb. The bumber cover must be partially removed to get the fog assembly out.

After getting it (the bulb) out, and finding out that they are over $30. each, I put it all back together and am going to have it replaced under the warranty...which I should have doen to begin with.

NICE430
Old 11-30-05, 05:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

damn that sounds like a big pain. and it's funny that the bulb is tack-welded to the harness?!?!?! what type of bulb is that?

i thought you could have gone through the wheel well (after you take off the wheel), guess not
Old 11-30-05, 07:58 PM
JJRHO
Driver

Default romini, d2s bulb

how diff is it to change the main xenon bulbs? is the side light bulbs accessible?
where and what bulb did you get? i saw philips ultinon 6Ks for $225/pair. mcCullochs are $150 or so... i'd really like to change to 6K....my other cars are 6K and it's definitely noticable....
i'm also thinking of raising the low beam height about 10feet out but can't understand the complicated description on the owner's manual....

jim R

Quick Reply: 06 Tail light install with PICS