SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wheels Sensor Information/PICS -SC430

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 01:07 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Wheels Sensor Information/PICS -SC430

I had the RFT removed from my rims to sell (never go to Tire King in Ontario on Milliken), and wanted to post some information for others to see.
I wanted to first change the battery in them as one is depleted and also to check on the compatibility to other aftermarket rims.

Well with the two other sets of rims in the garage (one for Porsches) these fit fine. As you can see there is no band as in other cars, it just mounts through the valve stem hole.

Battery is a Panasonic BR2777A lithium extreme condition battery. I am still trying to locate a vendor that carries these.

Lee
Old 11-15-05, 01:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow this is awesome lee, i guess everyone is clear what the thing looks like now

it would be great if these fits on other aftermarket wheels easy
Old 11-15-05, 01:28 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen this in person and on one aftermarket wheels we tried to fit. There were two issues.

First: the valve stem hole on the aftermarket is too small for the TPS (so the holes on the wheels require re-drilled -- do not attempt to do this because if a well known local wheels manufacturer (i will reserve the name and the experience) ask its customer to do it himself after he is custom ordering a set of wheel from them (yes, you wonder how custom the wheel is if the customer again need to customize the valve stem hole just to fit TPS), then I wouldn't want to do it myself)

Second: Most TPS has a slight angle to it. To fit an aftermarket wheel the valve stem on the TPS needs to be 90 degree to the base (where the sensor is) in order to stick on the wheel to avoid damage to those pricy sensor when you have a flat tire. So with most of our JDM wheels that have typical L shape valve stem we are screwed.

DXC is currently developing something to cure this. I hope he has answer for us soon....

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 11-15-05 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-15-05, 01:45 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Good information.

This OEM sensor acutally does not stick to anything. It just lays there attached to wheel via the valve stem. It does have an slight angle ,however on the two other aftermarket wheels I have they worked great with no issues with the hole. The seal is snug and it screws right up as it should. Now for those wheels with the L-shape as referred to, I can see where that could pose as issue.

On the wheels I tried there is plenty of room to spare above the sensor in case of a flat as it sits below the lip line.

Once I swap the batteries next week, I will try to mount on my new wheels once I find a reputable tire shop that can actually change tires without scratching them.

See pic on aftermarket wheel

Last edited by Pearlpower; 11-15-05 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-15-05, 01:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

interesting info guys, now i totally understand all the issues and what not. i need to go back and look at my wheels again, but if i am correct, does that means most aftermarket wheels with lips will need the Lshape thing then?

and btw, mark, about that "manufacturer", i am soooo inclined to guess who they are
Old 11-15-05, 02:12 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

and btw, mark, about that "manufacturer", i am soooo inclined to guess who they are
Henry and Mark. Is this something I should know about?
Old 11-15-05, 02:24 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Here are the marks to check the battery voltage.Just carefully use a small flat head screwdriver to remove the epoxy. Not much to damage there. Just do not hit the circuit board above the unit.
Lee

Should be from 2.95-3.00

Old 11-15-05, 02:26 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by camillian
Henry and Mark. Is this something I should know about?
LMAO..... check your PM, Mario...
Old 11-15-05, 02:37 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

interesting info guys, now i totally understand all the issues and what not. i need to go back and look at my wheels again, but if i am correct, does that means most aftermarket wheels with lips will need the Lshape thing then?

No need to check, Henry. As far as I know (or at least for all the wheels I have dealt with so far), all the 3 piece JDM wheels have L shape valve stem, including your trafficstars. MAJORITY 2 piece JDM wheels also have L shape (i.e. Work Termist). Work Meister S2R is one of the exception I know that has "I" shape that stand up straight.

BTW: TPS stands for: Totally Piece of Sh_t! ok ok.... it has its safety side that I need for my van to protect my wife and the baby....

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 11-15-05 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-15-05, 04:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha you are funny mark. thanks for checking the wheels, i guess that complete explains why in most cases the tps don't fit on aftermarket wheels at all. i can understand the "rubber band idea now as well, but in no way would that be the correct method too i think.

oh well, it's cool, not like i have the light on the dash to bother me anyway
Old 11-15-05, 04:34 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

oh well, it's cool, not like i have the light on the dash to bother me anyway
heehee
Old 11-15-05, 09:46 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put the HRE 540Rs on my SC, HRE sent metal bands to affix the sensor to the wheels with. The Lexus dealer enhanced this by using some adhesive to hold the sensor in place as well. It did not use the stem portion of the sensor. It worked great and I had no issues. Just FYI for those who haven't dealt with that yet.
Old 11-15-05, 09:52 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

that is common fix at the wheels shop. I have seen people with bad flat or air leakage and therefore damaged the sensor because it did not sit properly in side the barrel of the wheel. if it works for you great...
Old 11-15-05, 10:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup, my friend with hre 840r damaged his sensor
Old 11-16-05, 03:15 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

The solution is simple. If you wheel has a normal 45 degree angle on the inside valve stem mount then you should be ok, however some of those FUNNY wheels out there with strange non standard valve stem diamaters to begin with and 90 degree bends will have issues. Also the valve stem nut would have to be used to properly seal the tire.
Lee

Quick Reply: Wheels Sensor Information/PICS -SC430