SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 wheel fitment

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 06:26 PM
GregSc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, lets say I put the 20s, wouldnt i need to change my suspension to balance the quality of ride. I mean the stock suspension with the after market rims (which if you go staggered would be very heavy) would cause a drastic change in ride, the stock suspension not being equiped to hadle such a large load. So wouldnt you have to change the suspension if you are adding larger, non original, rims??
Old 04-08-10, 12:24 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GregSc430
Ok, lets say I put the 20s, wouldnt i need to change my suspension to balance the quality of ride. I mean the stock suspension with the after market rims (which if you go staggered would be very heavy) would cause a drastic change in ride, the stock suspension not being equiped to hadle such a large load. So wouldnt you have to change the suspension if you are adding larger, non original, rims??
I don't see why stock suspension can't handle 20" since stock wheels + RFT weigh a ton already.
Many members are running 20" on stock suspension without issues.

It is the tire that determins the overall diameter.
The setup above has the same diameter as stock wheels and would weigh less than stock wheels with rft.

Last edited by talwang; 04-08-10 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-09-10, 04:01 PM
GregSc430
Driver School Candidate

Well there must be a reason why Lexus did not make available stock 20" wheel sizes for the 2002 sc430, for example...the physics on wheels that are so big and heavier than stock is that when the wheel hits the bump, more force will be put on the struts and the steering wheel due to impact and lack of cushion in the low profiles...so you are getting no absorption of shock on the wheel tires and everything is going into the suspension (more than what would if you had 18" rims with much fuller and thicker tires). So, the way i see it, having to upgrade wheel sizes would def call for a change in suspension. When changing one thing in the vehicle you must keep into account other factors that may be affected by the upgrade. Lexus thought everything through when making their vehicles. When causing a change, an imbalance, in their innovation, you have to make sure everything in the vehicle remains unaffected by the upgrade. This is why most serious upgrades must be done by professionals.
Old 04-09-10, 04:19 PM
talwang

Originally Posted by GregSc430
Well there must be a reason why Lexus did not make available stock 20" wheel sizes for the 2002 sc430, for example...the physics on wheels that are so big and heavier than stock is that when the wheel hits the bump, more force will be put on the struts and the steering wheel due to impact and lack of cushion in the low profiles...so you are getting no absorption of shock on the wheel tires and everything is going into the suspension (more than what would if you had 18" rims with much fuller and thicker tires). So, the way i see it, having to upgrade wheel sizes would def call for a change in suspension. When changing one thing in the vehicle you must keep into account other factors that may be affected by the upgrade. Lexus thought everything through when making their vehicles. When causing a change, an imbalance, in their innovation, you have to make sure everything in the vehicle remains unaffected by the upgrade. This is why most serious upgrades must be done by professionals.
Did you weigh your stock wheels and your 20" wheels to make that 20" must be heavier statement?
I know my 19" SSR setup weighs about 30 pounds less than my 18" with rft.
(I can't remember it is 30 pounds less just the front or total 30 or 50 pounds less because I can't find my notes at this point of time)

If you have concerns, then stay with your 18" stock wheels by all means.
This wheel fitment thread is for those who decide to go bigger and better fitment.

Last edited by talwang; 04-10-10 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-06-10, 07:28 AM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi everyone..

i was wondering if anyone knew if this offset would work for the Sc430? the wheels offset +38 front, +43 rear 114.3x5? the wheels are 19x8. and rears are 19x9.5? what would the setup look like? oh yah, and the tires are 245/40/19 and rears are 275/35/19? thanks much..any help would be greatly appreciated!

lisalisa
Old 05-09-10, 04:39 AM
mtart
Driver School Candidate

I am looking to replace my 02 pie plates with 18 rims off a IS350 will they work without any mods?
Old 05-09-10, 10:11 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lisalisa
hi everyone..

i was wondering if anyone knew if this offset would work for the Sc430? the wheels offset +38 front, +43 rear 114.3x5? the wheels are 19x8. and rears are 19x9.5? what would the setup look like? oh yah, and the tires are 245/40/19 and rears are 275/35/19? thanks much..any help would be greatly appreciated!

lisalisa
There's an EXCELLENT link in the 1st post of this thread that is a guide to wheel fitment for the SC430. I've been reading that guide non stop for almost a month trying to figure out what is the largest size wheel I can use without doing any body work, so I know for sure the specs you gave will fit absolutely no problem.

The fit will look much better than stock. But you could easily go much wider, with a much lower offset (so it will be more flush with the fenders) and even an inch more in diameter without doing any fender mods. Most people highl recommend going to 20s. Only disadvantage is price (I think just a little more), ride is a bit less comfortable and a tiny bit less preformance. But the advantage is that it looks way better and you have a much wider selection of both rims and tires to choose from!!

Good luck!
Old 05-09-10, 09:28 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
There's an EXCELLENT link in the 1st post of this thread that is a guide to wheel fitment for the SC430. I've been reading that guide non stop for almost a month trying to figure out what is the largest size wheel I can use without doing any body work, so I know for sure the specs you gave will fit absolutely no problem.

The fit will look much better than stock. But you could easily go much wider, with a much lower offset (so it will be more flush with the fenders) and even an inch more in diameter without doing any fender mods. Most people highl recommend going to 20s. Only disadvantage is price (I think just a little more), ride is a bit less comfortable and a tiny bit less preformance. But the advantage is that it looks way better and you have a much wider selection of both rims and tires to choose from!!

Good luck!

thanks so much! i already have 19" walds but i saw someone selling a different set of walds that i liked...the price was decent...but now w/ the offsets and all, maybe i will pass.. i really appreciate all ur help. all the offsets and numbers are so confusing to me.

but again, thanks a million!
Old 05-12-10, 09:08 AM
gt4play
Driver School Candidate

I have scrolled through this entire thread, and although the reference in the first post is extremely valuable, I was hoping to see this turn into a show-and-tell thread of current wheel fitments. Do people have pictures of their cars? What wheels are you currently running, what tires/tire sizes? Suspension is equally important in knowing what works and what doesn't. Are you experiencing rubbing? Again, it's one thing to see the numbers and read discussions - but pictures (along with this information) really hit home.

Basically, I have a 02 SC and the run-flats have just about had it. My wife has been driving this car and I'll be trading in my G35 in on a new Highlander (baby on the way). The wife wants the Highlander and I'll be taking on the SC. With the stockers on their way out, this is the perfect excuse to move to a new look!

I haven't dug terribly hard in the site for threads that are strictly photos, wheel info and tire info. If there's one that stands out (and I'm too blind to see it) could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-10, 12:24 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
http://www.lgwnorcal.com/articles/wheelfitment.html

i finished up the guide and posted it up, hopefully it can help members. it will be integrated with my old guideline soon
How about 22's?

Old 05-18-10, 11:40 AM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

22's look too big on the SC430
Old 06-01-10, 10:36 AM
sam514
Driver School Candidate

will this set up work on a sc430 droped with h&r 1.2 inch drop
front 20 x 8.5 +35 245 30 20
rear 20x 10 +42 275 30 20
help appreciated
Old 07-14-10, 01:21 AM
stanleyCa
Rookie

the setup on my friends car was 19x8.5 +37 offset and 19x9.5 +25 offset weds kranze LXZ and it fit pretty flush...looked pretty nice
Old 07-23-10, 06:37 PM
talwang

I kind of revised the Rominl's wheel fitment guide.
Knowing most members here don't buy custom wheels, it is more practical to show you a range of offsets for a given width that will fit the SC430.

Assume members want a better wheel fitment when they decide to get rid of their oem wheels, so +45 would be the highest offset for any given wheel width below.
When you shop for a new set, try to choose an offest that is close to the lowest number in the specified range in order to get the best fitment.
That is, the LOWER the offset, the MORE aggressive the wheel fitment for a given width.
I keep mentioning width and offset at the same time since both are needed in order to determin the lateral, or side to side, position of the wheel.

The wheel spacer fitment info is added for your reference.
For example, the fitment of 9.5" +30 in the front would look like adding 33mm spacers to your oem wheels while 9.5" +35 would look like adding 33-(35-30)= 28mm spacers.

Also, the setups recommended below should require no fender mods or stretched tires.

Name:  wheelfitment.jpg
Views: 4950
Size:  378.3 KB

SC430 stock wheel fitment

Name:  3648334455_b51f71eaf1_b.jpg
Views: 3548
Size:  89.1 KB Name:  3648334471_feaac09f34_b.jpg
Views: 3539
Size:  84.1 KB

Recommended aftermarket wheel fitment

Name:  TK2.jpg
Views: 3457
Size:  52.3 KB Name:  TK.jpg
Views: 3496
Size:  66.9 KB

Many SC430 members may think if using the oem wheels from an is-F that has more hourse power and bigger wheels, then the fitment must be very aggressive for the SC430.

Well...here is the moment of truth

IS-F wheels
Unfortunately, the fitment is as weak as your stock wheels.
oh well, the rear wheels do stick out 1mm more if you are that picky. haha

Name:  isfwheels3.jpg
Views: 3551
Size:  50.4 KB Name:  isfwheels.jpg
Views: 3502
Size:  47.5 KB

IS-F wheels + wheel spacers (front 20mm, rear 30mm)
With spacers, the fitment is still conservative.

Name:  isfwheels4.jpg
Views: 3451
Size:  43.2 KB Name:  isfwheels2.jpg
Views: 3451
Size:  49.2 KB
Old 07-23-10, 07:47 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

thanks Talwang,

can you please tell us what size tires (dia, width, offset) are on the 2nd SC, the one that has the aggressive wheels?

It looks like the tires are a bit stretched with those wheels?

Quick Reply: SC430 wheel fitment