SC430 wheel fitment

Old 10-04-14, 05:50 PM   #301
texsexlex
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (3)

Send a message via Yahoo to texsexlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffee123 View Post
OK, I am thinking of going a different direction. Going for a bit more rubber, will the bigger wheels cause rubbing and will the 245 front tire be too small for a 9"rim?

Front:
9" x 18", +33
245/45-18
So the wheels will have 25mm closer to the fender, tires will be 0.96" bigger in diameter and gains 12.25mm in ride height.
Click the image to open in full size.
Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 0.7mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 24.7mm more than before.

Rear:
9" x 18", +25
275/40-18
So the wheels will have 32.7mm closer to the fender, tires will be 0.94" bigger in diameter and gains 12mm in ride height.
Compared to existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 7.3mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 32.7mm more than before.
...just saw this, so thought i would pass it on....if you look at the thread titled "total colour change of my sc430", in his post he mentions having 18x9.5 w/25 offset on the rear. Looking at the pic of his car, I'm almost sure that he has a 40 series tire on the rear. This should at least give you a visual of what it may look like
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
texsexlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 06:40 AM   #302
petlexus
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

My 2009 SC 430 came with a set of 17 inch snow tires - when i accelerate or corner aggressively it feels like the tires will come off the rims - anyone else have this problem

i also have a set of 18inch snows that are fine.
petlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 03:20 AM   #303
mademedoit
Driver

RPF1 wheels with Continental extreme DW (dry/wet) tires, 18x9 et35 245/40/18 ; 18x10 et38 275/35/18. Lowered on BC Racing coilovers with swift springs. Rides much better than stock, no rubbing issues. The stock wheel and tire was 60 lbs! My new fronts are only 40 lbs and the rears weigh 44 lbs. Coilovers were also MUCH lighter than stock. It is now very apparent tho that a larger rear sway bar is needed and to that end I might as well do the front at the same time... .

Also the rear camber adjustment is set to dial out as much negative rear camber as possible.

Last edited by mademedoit; 01-08-15 at 03:24 AM..
mademedoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-15, 01:05 PM   #304
ned1
Driver School Candidate

Default Tire & Wheel Fitment

hello and good day to all.
Im running "work Wheels" 20x10+37 in the rear with 285/30-R20
Fronts are 255/30-R20

I had a lower profile in the rears 285/25R20 however I ended up with bent rims two years in a row... I only use my SC 430 as a summer vehicle putting on less than 10,000 km or 6,000 miles.... I took the rims to well-established Wheel shop in my area (Alberta rims) http://www.albertawheelrepair.com and the owner (Paul) told me that he could open new shop with all the bent rims his shop gets in from the lower profiles. Just don't seem to protect the rim under normal driving conditions in and out of parking lots low curbs etc.. Saying that, I live in Calgary Alberta Canada. We do get a lot of frost damage in the spring and possibly the roads here are problematic that way.
I don't have any wheel well rubbing, the ride is exhilarating in comparison to the stock run flats & the cornering is not even comparable...

02 sc430

REAR wheel size

ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 04:20 PM   #305
ihiryu
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (5)

Hey guys, I'm looking at the wheel guide and I'm a little confused.

I'd like to get the same size wheel all the way around, and then add a spacer to the rear. I'm currently lowered on coilovers, but want to stick to 18's. If I understand the guide correctly, then;

Front: 18x9 +15 no spacer
Rear 18x9 +15 and a 20mm spacer.

Is that right?

My reasoning, is so that way I can still rotate the rims and tires, but give it a flush look.
ihiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 04:43 PM   #306
mademedoit
Driver

^ What is confusing? Look at the pic of my car, it has a 18x9 +35. If you did the same but with +15 your front tire will stick out 20 more mm than mine, possibly making the tire contact the fender lip and with the tire so far out it would kick up rocks and put stone chips onto the side of the car. Do you care about these consequences? Do you want looksClick the image to open in full size.or performance?

I would recommend a less aggressive fitment of +35 or +30 for both 18x9 rims and then yea add a 15 or 20 mm spacer on the back.
Old 03-02-15, 05:57 PM   #307
Bgw70
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by mademedoit View Post
^ What is confusing? Look at the pic of my car, it has a 18x9 +35. If you did the same but with +15 your front tire will stick out 20 more mm than mine, possibly making the tire contact the fender lip and with the tire so far out it would kick up rocks and put stone chips onto the side of the car. Do you care about these consequences? Do you want looksClick the image to open in full size.or performance?

I would recommend a less aggressive fitment of +35 or +30 for both 18x9 rims and then yea add a 15 or 20 mm spacer on the back.
Just curious and looking for spacer information. I have heard that some or most shops will not install spacers. Is that true?
If it is true, does it mean they can cause safety related issues?
Are there types of spacers that fit better or are safer than others?
What is the design called?
Tks!
Old 03-02-15, 06:26 PM   #308
mademedoit
Driver

^ You want spacers that are hub centric first (meaning the weight is transferred onto the round hump in the middle of the disk rather than relying on the shear strength of the five studs). I would guess that shops don't want to just install the spacers that are just flat disks with out also having the customer pay for longer wheel studs. It would be unsafe to just have the same lug nuts go back on with less turns.

And there are many types, usually 20mm plus ones are bolted to the hub and then have an extra set of wheel studs on them. Thus ten nuts to toque down per wheel.

Its best to just by the right offset in the first place, but yea I see the point of wanting to be able to rotate the tires. It is however not as big of a deal on a rwd car than it would be on a fwd.
Old 03-02-15, 10:09 PM   #309
ihiryu
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (5)

Quote:

Nice!

Now that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help!

The wheels I'd like to order actually don't come in a 9, it only comes in 8.5 and 9.5

The offset they come with +35 and +20.

So I think I'm going to order 8.5 +35, and just go with spacers all the way around. I just don't think we can stuff an 9.5 in the front for some reason.

I'll probably try 15mm in the front, and 20mm in the rear.

Last edited by ihiryu; 03-02-15 at 10:30 PM..
ihiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-15, 07:46 AM   #310
Jmoorman11
Driver School Candidate

Default Wheel Fitment

I currently have a stock set up on suspension on sc430 and have aftermarket wheels with 245 45 18 tires on it... I know the 45 made the tires taller and personally do not like the look.. Car was fine and then I added hubcentric spacers and now over bumps its hitting fender hard.. My question is if I change back to 245 40 18 tires should I be fine with the spacers or do I need to go thinner like 35? Any help is appreciated..
Jmoorman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-15, 07:41 PM   #311
mademedoit
Driver

^Buy the right tires/wheels the first time so you don't have issues like this.

Since you already bought tires one aspect ratio to large and (COMBINED ?) with the spacers your wheel is now hitting the fender well.

Well why not just take off teh spacers for the time being?

Post a pic where its hitting in a separate post if you need more help. GL.
Old 03-16-15, 08:51 PM   #312
Jmoorman11
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
^Buy the right tires/wheels the first time so you don't have issues like this.

Since you already bought tires one aspect ratio to large and (COMBINED ?) with the spacers your wheel is now hitting the fender well.

Well why not just take off teh spacers for the time being?

Post a pic where its hitting in a separate post if you need more help. GL.
I understand your point believe me! I just purchased car and the previous owner just installed these tires he said he liked the ride better he was an older gentleman.. My question is if I spend the money on new michelins in the right size should I be able to use my spacers for the look I want thx
Old 03-16-15, 09:17 PM   #313
mademedoit
Driver

^Yes

Correct size is 245/40/18 do not do a 35 aspect ratio unless you get 275's + and the wider rims to go with them.

Plenty of cool stuff online to learn about tire sizes with... http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Old 03-17-15, 08:43 AM   #314
Jmoorman11
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
^Yes

Correct size is 245/40/18 do not do a 35 aspect ratio unless you get 275's + and the wider rims to go with them.

Plenty of cool stuff online to learn about tire sizes with... http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Thanks so much for your help ordering tires today!
Old 03-17-15, 08:43 AM