SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Peeling clearcoat

Old 08-11-05, 05:34 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Peeling clearcoat

Soliciting opinions, ideas, recommended actions.

An acquaintance has a 2004 white SC430 with 11,000 miles that suddenly began shedding pieces of clearcoat from areas below the grill, on the driver's side wheelwell area and rocker panel. There is evidence that this blight is spreading. Her trusted bodyshop surmised that the car was slightly damaged in transit and repainted, re-clearcoated or had some such shoddy repair work done.

She wants a new car. Her dealer offered her $48,500 toward a new 2005 at dealer cost which is $57,500; the new car would cost her $9,000. She was considering this "deal", but after she found out that the trade-in value of her car should be $52,300 (considering the geographic area and mileage), she was livid and now doesn't even want to dicker - she wants an even trade.

Lexus customer service in California suggested she work out her problem with the dealer.
Old 08-11-05, 06:26 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My general advice would be to get confirmed documentation for 2, maybe 3 different body shops that will back the claim that this car had repair work done, then take that information with a lawyer into the dealer and try and work something out.
Old 08-11-05, 07:43 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

yeah they definitely will shake once they see a lawyer with the proof to back up your claims
Old 08-11-05, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

chris' idea is perfect. pay the small money to have couple of body shops inspect the car, and get thet documents. and then go with a lawyer and give a deadline to dealership.

although, even trade is out of the question. she has driven the car for 11k miles so that's gone, she did drive the car. but the value of the car should be "more" than the trade in value at least. if the trade in is 52k now, i say she should at least be offered 54 or so for her trouble
Old 08-15-05, 06:28 PM
markch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the dealer did not disclose the car was damaged, it does not matter she drove it for 11K. Any competent attorney will get her an even trade or better. BMW lost a case regarding non-disclosed body work and had to pay out ....no joke....$30-milion. Judgment was appealed and reduced to $20-million.

When I was picking up my new 2005, the dealer drilled the front bumper to mount a plate and then tried to hide it by taking it to a body shop without me knowing. Bad move, I called my attorney and they immediately gave me a new car without any questions even though all the title work was already processed. Existing case law is on her side.
Old 09-07-05, 05:14 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Default Update

I thought forum members who followed this thread would like an update. Incidentally, her SC430 is not her first Lexus. She owned a beautiful SC400 for quite a while before she purchased the SC430.

........ start quote ............
Right now it is in the hands of my lawyer. Lexus National has been little help. I called California at least 6 times and spoke with 6 different people. Everyone is very sorry but the bottom line is I have to work with the dealer where I bought the car. Hopefully something good( for me) will come out of it.

I'm thinking now that all I want is my money back and I can buy another car. NOT A LEXUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really love the vehicle but I'm very disgusted with the Lexus company and how they have abandoned me.

I have also contacted the National Center for Dispute Settlement. I am in the process of filling out papers for them. I can't believe all the time, energy and emotion I have spent on a vehicle that is supposed to be the best in the world.
........ end quote ............
Old 09-07-05, 11:02 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I agree its rediculous how much time and energy you have to put in to correct their mistake
Old 09-07-05, 02:56 PM
MNPine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The deal offered initially is certainly to the dealer's advantage. I thought all of these "deals" like this would be at best trade for a similar low mileage 2004 without damage. It seems to me that a trade-in for a 2005 would require a little money from the customer (not as much as 9k though).

Should the customer come out better than before? From a customer satisfaction standpoint -YES - of course but I have never seen these deals work out that way. Of course with a lawyer pounding on a desk who knows...............

I hate that Lexus is willing to loose a repeat customer.
Old 12-01-05, 07:24 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Default Problem Resolved!

For the forum members who have followed this thread, here is the latest update and probably the final solution to this problem.

It turns out that her dealer never contacted Lexus headquarters on this problem, but the National Center for Dispute Settlement, with whom she filed a claim, did. After Lexus HQ became aware of the problem, they sent a factory rep to look at her car, take pictures, and file a report. A week later, Lexus called and gave her a choice; all her money returned or a brand new 2006.

Her new car was shipped from Japan on 11/17 and should be here soon.
Old 12-01-05, 07:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

A new 2006 as a replacement Glad everything works out well for her finally.
Old 12-01-05, 08:14 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

thats great glad you got help. you have to watch those dealers
Old 12-01-05, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow that's very nice ending, glad that things work out. imho both options are perfect
Old 12-01-05, 09:16 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was going to say the $9k to get a new 06 (instead of an 05) would be a nice deal but this is MUCH better.

Congrats to her and to Lexus for helping (even though it was under pressure ) a loyal customer stay in the family.
Old 12-02-05, 03:33 PM
MNPine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1NICESC430
For the forum members who have followed this thread, here is the latest update and probably the final solution to this problem.

It turns out that her dealer never contacted Lexus headquarters on this problem, but the National Center for Dispute Settlement, with whom she filed a claim, did. After Lexus HQ became aware of the problem, they sent a factory rep to look at her car, take pictures, and file a report. A week later, Lexus called and gave her a choice; all her money returned or a brand new 2006.

Her new car was shipped from Japan on 11/17 and should be here soon.

incredible
Old 12-03-05, 08:51 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been away for a week or so and have just noticed this thread.

This story seems similar to mine. Oh by the way we are talking about a WHITE sc430 damaged and repainted? My sc is white also. The 05 had been damaged in shipping and painted. They replaced it with an 06. The first 06 I went to pick up also had repainting. Finally after three white sc430's I got a new one that wasn't repainted.

The moral of this story. If your buying new be careful

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Peeling clearcoat