SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Compact Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-05, 06:50 PM
SC430icand
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compact Spare Tire

About a month ago after logging 4K miles on the car, I switched from the OEM Dunlop Run Flats to Michelin Pilot A/S. One of the best decisions I've made! I'm now looking for a compact spare but I don't want to pay the dealer price as I've heard it's outrageous. I stumbled upon a forum in another Lexus online owners club and saw a thread that says "the 2004 Acura TL with the Dynamic Package uses the identical compact spare tire and wheel, namely the T145/70R17". Has anyone heard of this? For those that have a compact spare in their trunk, can you share with us what the tire size say on the side wall of the compact spare

Thanks!
SC430icand
2004 Indigo Ink/Saddle
HRE 843R

so I can throw it in the trunk whenever I need to take the car on a long trip.
Old 06-08-05, 07:03 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is pretty much the same spacesaver a lot of GS guys and SC 400 guys use.

Otherwise known as the Supra TT spare tire.

People sell them regularly and many of us buy off of members on Supraforums.com

It's a 17" steel wheel with the same size tire as you mentioned.

Usually goes for between $50 -$100.

So on the other forum did they confirm that Acura and Lexus share the same bolt pattern??

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-08-05 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-09-05, 12:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

dont get the acura space saver, the hub is different and won't fit.

the supra tt one is good. me personally i would just get a wheel and carry it when i am driving long distance
Old 06-09-05, 06:48 PM
SC430icand
Driver School Candidate

THANKS for the information!

I tried the Supraforums.com but the administrator has the registration disabled. I sent an email to check.

SC430icand
Old 06-09-05, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SC430icand
THANKS for the information!

I tried the Supraforums.com but the administrator has the registration disabled. I sent an email to check.

SC430icand
yeah hopefully you can get registered soon!
Old 06-11-05, 05:54 AM
chewbone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is such a great topic and kudo's to everyone that helps it kep going. I am still attempting to find a spare tire without shelling out the $800 + that I have read that Lexus sells the tire and kit for.

In another part of this website there is a lot more discussion on this topic. Last time I checked someone said that the Maxima spare would fit the sc-430. I wrote down the following:

T145/80R(D)17

The poster claimed that the lugs matched, I haven't tried it and basically am like so many others waiting for someone on this board or perhaps a magazine article telling us exactly what will work. Wished I had a part time job at a junk yard, I would solve this problem!!

I love the car and I am sure the Lexus tow-in or AAA works fine, but I would much rather put on my spare and keep going!
Old 06-11-05, 09:40 AM
SC430icand
Driver School Candidate

That may be true with the Maxima. I have a G35 and the OEM 17' wheels and those fit the SC430. The hub on the G35 is bigger than the SC/Toyota. I tried the donut spare from the G35 and while the bolt pattern and hub is fine, the spare is only 16" so it was hitting the brakes.

BTW, the SC/Toyota stock wheels will not fit the G35 because the hub on the SC is smaller.

SC430icand
Old 07-30-09, 07:27 AM
GJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 SC 430, I am in the processs of exchanging out my Dunlop Never Flats off for Michelin's. Now I am looking for the Supra TT Saver Wheel. When I call Toyota to order the wheel they ask me for the year. Supra TT stopped manufacturing this vehicle in 1998. So I tell them 1998?
Old 07-30-09, 07:33 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jcarolus
I have a 2006 SC 430, I am in the processs of exchanging out my Dunlop Never Flats off for Michelin's. Now I am looking for the Supra TT Saver Wheel. When I call Toyota to order the wheel they ask me for the year. Supra TT stopped manufacturing this vehicle in 1998. So I tell them 1998?
Any year gen. IV spare will work ('93+).
Old 07-30-09, 08:02 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jcarolus
Or you go to eBay and save yourself a boatload of money.
Old 07-30-09, 08:48 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Or you go to eBay and save yourself a boatload of money.
Go on ebay and get what exactly? Are you saying they have the Toyota TT donut?
Old 07-31-09, 06:14 AM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Spare

I recently replaced run flats with "normal" tires. I was concerned about the spare problem since I did not want to use the trunk space for the spare. If you play golf, you must have the space without the spare when the top is down.

After thinking about the problem, I realized that with almost 45 years of driving, I have only had 2 flats and one of them was on my first car with junk tires. Most flats come after a slow leak and can be caught well before the tire has to be changed. Also, if my wife is driving, she is not going to change a tire.

With these considerations,I am willing to take a chance without a spare, however, to add some additional reserve, I bought a Safety Spare Kit from Slime #70005 ($60). The kit consists of a compressor, with sealant, guage, light and reflector in a compact case about 10"x10"x5". Fits nicely in the spare well and can be used as a compressor only. Also Slime is suposedly water soluble and will not permanantly damage TPM's.

I liked it so much I bought one for the Mercedes G 500 which has a full size spare.

I expect I will never use these other than possibly add air or blow up the bicycle tires.

The ironic thing about runflats, is that they have to be replaced after a flat. What a useless product.

Just another option.
Old 07-31-09, 11:46 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a BBK with 14" rotors, these spare won't fit, fyi.
Old 07-31-09, 12:44 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a flat the other day and instead of using my spare I just pulled the nail out and put the plug in and refilled the tire. 10 minutes and I was back on the road. I know you aren't supposed to plug these high performance tires but my tires will never see anything over 80 so I really am not worried. Throw a set of coveralls about 2 sizes too big back in the trunk to slip on over your clothes. Keeps you clean if you have to fix a flat or anything else that might crop up. A zip lock bag with some handy wipes to clean your hands off is another thing to throw in the trunk.
Old 07-31-09, 06:09 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
Go on ebay and get what exactly? Are you saying they have the Toyota TT donut?
That's where I got mine. Tire had never seen pavement.

Quick Reply: Compact Spare Tire