SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-01, 03:43 PM
midknight

Talking

Hello!

First time post here. I will be adding my name to the wait list for the SC430. Wanted say hi, and was wondering how many SC430 owners participant in this forum?

Questions for those owners:
How do you like the car so far?
Has it meet your expectations? performance ? luxury?
Is MSRP the going rate? mark-ups anyone? under?
How long has was the wait for your car?

I was previously on the wait list for the 2001 BMW M3, but have decided against it.

So, just wanted to say hi and looking forward to getting my car towards the end of summer.

Old 06-01-01, 07:13 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

SC 430 is almost exactly as advertised. High luxury with a sporty flair. Great handling, smooth riding (except for the run flats) fantastic sexy interior, useless back seat, and magnificent drive train. Extra bonus is fantastic brakes. Raising and lowering top is icing on the cake. This is a car unique in the marketplace. Nothing is close to being like it (except maybe the Jaguar XK8. ALmost forgot..Mark Levison stereo is to die for! and rims gotta go.
Some dealers now getting some stock so waiting list varies regionally. Some in SoCal if you are not picky on color. Either pay a premium over list for delivery today, or order one at list with a 60 day delivery.
Old 06-04-01, 09:45 AM
midknight

Toplex: would you recommend the run flats?
Old 06-04-01, 09:54 AM
midknight

Another question regarding the Luxury package? The run flats, the same profile and size of the standard tires? Exactly how much more tunk room is missing if I went with the non lux pack, adding in the spare tire to the trunk?
Old 06-04-01, 02:40 PM
exsilio

Talking welcome midknight

I don't know that there is a luxury package. The car is already very 'lixed' out. The only options I know of are the run-flat tires, the spoiler, and the navi-system. And I have yet to see one or hear of one shipped without those. In other words you get them no matter what. But it's very much worth it to have them. I love my nav system. And the poiler is a nice detail. I'm still not sure about the run-flats..but I'm sure I will appreciate them when I do get a flat tire.

The trunks space is VERY small. I have been able to indeed fit a golf bag in there...the kind you carry, not a caart bag. And I was able to wedge my golf shoes in there as well. Not much space, but you would be surprised how much you can put back there.

Ejoy.
Old 06-04-01, 04:19 PM
midknight

thanks exsilio.

wondering how many SC430 owner fregently use the back seats to carry passengers. such as small kids.

I have a three year old, and was wondering if the seats in back would be ok for her to ride on short trips?
Old 06-04-01, 07:42 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

2 issues. On run flats...they stink. Drove cars with and without, and run farts definitly hurt the luxury feel of the car thudding over pot holes, and weaving on rain grooves. Very unLexus like to poorly design storage, and then fit run flats to solve what engineers should have designed in. Corvette copped out the same way. I will be replacing run flats with standard tires, taking chances on flat tire. Much cheaper to destroy a conventional tire driving on it than puncturing a $400 unfixable run flat.

Rear seat not too bad for kids or small adults. Must move seat forward, so both are a little uncomfortable, but better than Jaguar or 911. Fine in a pinch.
Old 06-05-01, 10:41 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Default back seats

I have a 11 year old and a 16 year old. They both fit in the back. Not comfortably (not even for the front passengers, as the seats have to be moved forward for ANY type of leg space in the back), but it would work for very short trips.
Old 06-30-01, 08:45 AM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got 2400 miles on my White/Saddle SC430. Great car.Some observations: Run-flats..too hard a ride..initial seat rattles..being fixed. Extremely comfortable seats..ML audio outstanding..sensitive amp re: low bass(have dealer check it out). Car "feels" big..great handling. Rear seats for SMALL pets/packages..not humans. Style grows on you. I get "thumbs-up" from everybody. You'll enjoy it...worth waiting for. I paid exactly MSRP...including the three options. Understand from dealer that MSRP will be going up $5K end of year...next year production will go down to 10,000 units. I may, finally, have a car that will appreciate in value!
Old 06-30-01, 09:28 AM
bradrulz
Driver School Candidate

Default MidKnight---Lexus 430 in Arizona

MidKnight---

There is a Lexus SC430 sitting on the lot at Lexus of Tucson. It is a Silver one. It has been there for a few weeks now.

If you don't want to wait maybe you would like to give them a call and inquire about it. There phone number is 520-745-3987. Ask for Tim Townson....I just traded my 1999 Porsche Boxster in on a 1998 Lexus SC300 and I dealed with Tim and he was a great....if there ever are any great car salesmen LOL
Old 06-30-01, 09:36 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I heard a rumor from a salesman at my local Lexus dealer about the SC430. He said that they have gotten so many complaints about the size, rear seat, trunk, etc., that next year will be the last year of that bodystyle. He said they're going to restyle for a big trunk and usable trunk, just like the 2000 and before had. But they're keeping the 430 motor.

I can't really see a company cutting it after only two years, so I'm still calling it an unfounded rumor until I see a press release. I got the idea that he was just trying to push on me harder that the current SC430 will be more and more of a collectors car, and I should buy one right then.

Anyone else heard anything like this?

SR
Old 07-01-01, 02:32 PM
Lexus_girl
Pole Position

Smile

I don't think they'll re-design the SC430 just yet, but I did hear that there will be a 300 version and a hard top version.
Old 07-02-01, 11:02 AM
midknight

A hard top version would be great! More power hopefully too! Maybe a performance verison, like the M series for BMW?

New rims, please!

Old 07-03-01, 01:48 PM
daericks

Default I might be nuts...

Does everyone but me hate the rims?? I think they are great and really make the car look sexy. I have yet to see rims that give it more style, but I guess it is all personal preference. For those of you that did swap out the rims/tires, how much does it cost? I have seen the rims/tires that come with advertised for $1,200 for the set. Might be worth selling them if you ARE interested in switching.

As for discontinuing the style... It is highly unlikely given the waiting list on the car. A 340 version is likely but I think they will have to put the 6 back in to make it different from the 430. I'm also guessing the ML stereo will become an option. Oh well, just my $.02. Take care everyone.
Old 07-11-01, 05:51 PM
SeattleSheila
Rookie

Just lurking 'cause I love that SC430 and haven't the hope of a snowball in hell of ever affording one. However, the dealer up here in Fife Washington (Lexus of Tacoma) says the wait is four to five months for the car. Order now for Christmas delivery!

Quick Reply: Sc430