SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Grumblings of a New Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 12:07 AM
Jim Herd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grumblings of a New Owner!

Here are some first impressions as a new SC430 owner. My car is brand new – I have one month and 1,000 miles on her.

While, overall, the car is a classy luxury roadster in the Lexus tradition, I have been disappointed in a good number of relatively minor ways. To be sure, these may not be earth-shattering concerns, but in this class of automobile we are all looking for near-perfection. I will list a few disappointments.

1. ASL – the automatic sound level on the audio system is a good idea in theory, but falls short in practice. The amount of volume adjustment just never seems right. Why can’t this feature be set (amount of volume modulation) as a personal setting, or offered as an adjustment right on the audio head?
2. Personal Settings – I am actually flabbergasted that the list of personal settings is a paltry 13 items long! Furthermore, the idea that the owner can not make the adjustments without a trip to the dealership is just plain unacceptable. Even my Jeep Grand Cherokee does way better than this.
3. Wind with top down – the wind flow with top down is blustery. Far more windy than my old 1993 Nissan 300ZX convertible. It seems that the glass wind deflector between the rear headrests could be a good deal larger, but I’m sure there is a reason why it is not. (Has anyone tried adding more wind deflection? A posting on this forum called “Blown SC430” seems to show an enlarged glass panel at the rear headrests – could this be to deflect the airflow away from the occupants?) Similarly, why are the rear quarter windows inoperable except by the top up/down button?
4. No remote control for top up/down – given the slow action of the top, it would sure be nice to initiate the process from the key while approaching the car. (Mercedes SLK 320 has this.)
5. No Satellite Radio – it is amazing that this option is neither available nor easy to add after-market. (Again, Mercedes SLK 320 has this.) (I will post separately about the “VAIS” product.)
6. Tow hitch installation is a real problem – I fail to see why the owners manual recommends against a tow hitch. Surely the car has the power, the brakes, and the frame to handle a small tow load. I simply want to tow a 500 pound trailer which carries nothing but my mountain bike and gear. (A roof rack seems like a bad idea!) Additionally, while UHaul does sell a hitch for the SC430, it is apparently very ugly. My local UHaul manager told a story of a lady who installed a hitch on her SC430, but she thought it was so ugly that she forced them to take it right back off. I am hesitant to go for it.
7. GPS unwieldy – It is excessively restrictive that the GPS shuts down most of its functionality while driving. I understand the safety issue of a driver fiddling with the GPS screen, but my wife, as passenger, is quite capable of managing the GPS while I am driving. This is just excessive safety paranoia.
8. GPS not very smart – while it does a fine job of actual navigation, the human interface is unsophisticated. Here’s an example. When punching in a destination address, the keyboard lights up only the keys that correspond to the available words in the database. That seems smart, but when it gets down to only one available letter left, it still expects you to punch in all the letters – it should fill out the remaining letters by itself. (Quite frustrating.)
9. GPS voice commands – seems “gimmicky”. I haven’t used this much yet, but what real value is there? And does it actually work well with background noise with the top down?

I have looked through many of the postings on this forum. In fact, I did this before my purchase as part of my due diligence. So here is the question – why did I not read any of these shortcomings? Hopefully, the answer is simply that I am misguided and ill-informed with my complaints. Perhaps one or more of you will put me straight and offer solutions!

Thanks for listening.

Jim Herd
2005 SC430 White-on-white
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1993 Nissan 300ZX convertible
Plus motorhome, motorcycles, ATV’s, Bonanza, sailplane, and boat.
Old 02-10-05, 12:48 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Herd
4. No remote control for top up/down – given the slow action of the top, it would sure be nice to initiate the process from the key while approaching the car. (Mercedes SLK 320 has this.)
7. GPS unwieldy – It is excessively restrictive that the GPS shuts down most of its functionality while driving. I understand the safety issue of a driver fiddling with the GPS screen, but my wife, as passenger, is quite capable of managing the GPS while I am driving. This is just excessive safety paranoia.
Hi Jim.
Welcome to CL and congrats on the car. I do not have an SC so I'll let the ones that do respond to your issues.

I do have a couple of tidbits. For 4, you can remedy it with the following product:

http://www.luxurymotorworks.com/luxlink_remote_top.php

For 7, all Lexus Nav works that way so the issue is not unique to the SC. May other makers also do Nav that way. Acura is one that does not.

Good luck on the other questions.
Old 02-10-05, 08:20 AM
Paul2x
Pole Position

tow hitch..!?!

thats what your jeep is for.
Old 02-10-05, 12:09 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Jim, welcome to the club. I have an '02 SC430, just got a new car for the wife (GX470 in fact), so I know how you feel about the "picky things" (I have a good list going for the GX470). Also I've been looking hard at the SLK350 (actually the SLK55 AMG). So I'm in a good position to either help you feel better or just argue with you.

1. ASL - I think it's value is not in just a simple auto volume control, but in that it changes the freq response, dependent on top up or down. The ML engineers engineered one setting for top up and one for top down. Along with a volume boast dependent on speed (and also on top up or down). For volume control I find you have to use the buttons on the steering wheel. For me switching from one source (FM to CD) or even one station or CD to another, I need to adjust the volume for me.

2. Personal settings - there are actually a couple you can do yourself with a somewhat complicated procedure with the ignition switch, and door lock button. But in general, you need Lexus to do. Good news is that Lexus makes it a feature in 2005 and does it for free. My dealer always did, but some reports of dealers charging. However, most of the settings you will never change, or if you do, just once.

3. Your report of wind with top down. I'm very suprised, I have never been in a convertible that handles the wind and wind noise so well (very high belt line doors is part of that). People continue to comment. I use a cell phone headset with the top down at 60 mph and the people on the other end can't believe the top is down (I do have the side windows up). I have driven at MUCH over the normal speed limit with the top down. Music and conversation was still very reasonable.

4. Top remote. LexusWorks actually sells a aftermarket solution. However, go over to the MB forum, you will see everyone thinks the MB solution is worthless. Line of sight (it is infrared) and less than 5 feet aiming at the driver door lock). and you must hold the button on the fob down for the full 22 seconds. Most SLK owners are waiting for an aftermarket part similar to the Lexus one (one button push, RF).

5. Sat radio - problem across the board, still just too new. Yes on SLK you can get (Sirius only not XM) but it is a $700 option! After market for both Lexus and MB is the current solution.

6. Tow hitch- can't comment. Really can't imagine doing that to my baby

7.GPS "less than usable" while driving. Wholeheartedly agree, but that's what our lawsuit junkie society has rote (just ticks me off to hit the I agree for the 10,000 time at start up). Pretty much the same across all cars (sold in US, anyway). This is where the "voice nav" is supposed to help.

8. Typing out full destination when only one letter left. You don't have to do that. Review the manual again. After typing just one letter you can hit the List button on the right. Of course the more you type the less matches you will have to sort thru.

9. Voice commands. Don't have it on my '02, but it is on my '05 GX470 and I agree it is gimmicky. Just doesn't work well enough. Needs a training (to my voice) mode.

So have fun, drive it, hopefully some of my "rebuttal" will help (or perhaps just help to channel your frustration at me versus your new baby!)
Old 02-10-05, 01:17 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts
Default I agree

I agree with most of the comments in the above post, which contains much of what I would say. I add the following observations.

I've never really noticed the ASL in action. I can tell a big difference in the equalization when the top is raised. Try leaving the radio on when you put the top up while in the garage, and you will hear the change quite well.

I got the list of settings from this forum when I got my car, and had the dealer change one or two of them 4 years ago when I got the car, and haven't had any need to change them again. As mentioned, most dealers will do it for free if you are there for someting else anyway.

I have never heard a complaint about wind noise. I have read a lot about this car, because I was on the waiting list for 18 months prior to its release, so I read all the advance press and the early reviews. All of them mentioned that the car is designed for low wind noise (that's one reason for the taller than usual doors). Most of my passengers remark on the low wind noise, especially at higher than normal speeds. I think you are just plain wrong on this, and I love not having to add one of those ugly blockers that BMW and MB give you to stretch between the seat backs. I'd rather have the wind.

One reason for not having a remote top is that you do not want to ever have the battery die while the top is half-way. When this happens, the computer forgets where the top is, and you have to raise or lower it manually and re-set everything. I hear it's a nightmare. Thus, operating the top without the engine running is not prudent. The add-on system mentioned above can be had with a remote start, and this is really the safe way to go. My guess is that Lexus could see that over-use of a built in remote top control would be widespread, given how much fun that would be, and this would be headaches for everybody. I hear that the LexusWorks aftermarket is excellent, and may add it at some point, just for the fun of it.

The sat radio was not around when the car hit the market in April of 01. The ML radio was often written up as the best radio in any car at any price at the time, and I would guess that Lexus just does not want to mess with it until a full re-design is done. Most built in SAT radio systems I have seen use the NAV screen, so it would be fairly complex to change all of this just to add SAT radio at this time.

I know nothing about tow hitches, nor have I ever seen an SC430 towing anything. Post a photo of that for us.

The GPS, like the ML radio, was the best on the road at the time. I find the touch screen system far easier to use than cursor systems. I think that the "List" of addresses only appears when the elimination gets down to one screen or less, but you can force the list at any point by touching the list button. As far as having many input functions inoperative while the car is in motion, I agree that this is a legal thing and does not consider the co-pilot factor. I think that there is a sensor in the passenger seat that tells the airbags something. A nice touch would be for that sensor to also unlock the full range of NAV operations, but don't count on it.

Your basic question in your post was why were these "shortcomings" not mentioned here before. I think many of them were, but I also think that if this is your list of shortcomings, be glad you did not get a Mini-Cooper.

Most of us here have had to look long and hard to find any shortcomings in this car, and this is why the latest Power surveys put this car at the top of the list, not only for this year, but at the top of the list since Power has been doing surveys.

I hear Christy Brinkley has a mole.
Old 02-10-05, 02:40 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

FYI..........I have the luxury motorworks remote top installed. While working on the car and listening to the stereo all night, I tried to put the top back up and I had it stop halfway because I drained the battery. I hooked up a charger and pushed the interior button and everything closed perfectly.
Old 02-10-05, 03:09 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

From what I hear, that may have been a close call.

I reported what my dealer warned me about, and it makes sense that this could be one of the reasons for not having a factory installed remote closer.

It may be that my information was not correct, or it might be that you did not fully drain the battery and there was enough of a charge left to keep the memory intact, but not enough to operate the roof motors.

Still, it would be a very cool touch to be able to lower the top from down the block while you walk towards your car, and I am going to look into what is involved in installing one of those aftermarket kits, as I would have to have a local technician do it for me, as I am too far from California to have the company do it at their shop, as many here have reported.
Old 02-10-05, 03:22 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Yeah I was lucky....battery wasnt fully drained, interior lights worked. I cant think of a situation where the battery would go kaput enough to stop the top in mid function and not have enough juice to maintain the memory. My thoughts are if the battery is completely dead the top wouldnt work anyway.
Old 02-10-05, 04:04 PM
COACH430
Rookie

can someone list th e13 settings that can be adjusted at the dealer
Old 02-10-05, 05:52 PM
gekisai29
Driver

boy i thought i was picky. i also have an 05 with 1000 miles on it 7 i love almost everything about it. while i agrre that the sc lacks some features that newer designs offer i was well aware of this [rior to my purchase & i still optrd for the sc. prime example is satellite radio which i have had in my office & 2 other cars since xm first came out. iswore any new car wpould have to have this but i chaged my mind after driving thr sc, clk 500, & 6 series. btw , the 6 is sweet but sc is much better value with more luxuriuos interior. i still am trying to decide besy way to put satellite radio in though.
Old 02-10-05, 06:45 PM
FWCruiser
Driver School Candidate

Default C-Best

Coach, go to AntiGeeks' website and click on the C-Best link to get all the options. David
theantigeek.com
Old 02-10-05, 07:26 PM
COACH430
Rookie

thanks for the great info FW
Old 02-10-05, 08:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just for you guys.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150688
Old 02-10-05, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hey welcome to the forum. i am just going to state couple of points

1) there is a module that you can buy to do the auto top down and also auto start, better jump on it now
2) for the nav, acura is the only manufacturer that allows you to change nav stuff when driving, it's safety. it's just like saying the nav screen should be able to play dvd movies, not for you but for your pessenger. nop, it doesn't work that way
3). when you are punching in the letters, yes, only available ones show. and on the right hand side of the scree, you can actually see how many choices you are down to now. if there is ONLY ONE choice, it will jump to the street right the way. the fact that it still asks you to punch in when there is ony one choice is coz' a) there are more than 4 or 5 choices and can't all be displayed, or b) there are e s w n on the street name and maybe more choice after a space or something. i wondered the same thing and i figured out why later
4) i am surprised that the asl doesn't work for you, it's been pretty decent on mine
5) so on your jeep, you can program the car to unlock the car when put in P and lock the car shifts out of P, all by yourself? what other brands allow you to do that anyway?

other issues i guess it's just all personal. for example the windnoise with top down, man i have in some convertibles that are way worse. i guess the 6 series convertibles are better, but i wont' want that big *** glass in the back too

overall i think this car might use a bit more extras, but i can't complain about what i can get for this car with the money i paid
Old 02-10-05, 10:24 PM
Jim Herd
Driver School Candidate

What an excellent series of posts! Since I posted the original questions, I must say that I will be taking direct action as a result of your comments. Thank you. In addition, several postings prompt follow-up comments, so here goes, and I will try to be brief.

1. I have no commute and I use my motorhome for long trips, so when would I ever drive the SC430 if I can not take my bike along (or similar light duty recreational loads)? It seems totally rational to me to tow a very light trailer. Like I said, UHaul makes a hitch for the car - I wonder if anyone in the group has one, and could post comments and a photo?
2. Regarding wind "noise" - what I am really talking about is temperature comfort, not noise. There is a significant "wrap-around draft" coming forward between the two front seats. My Nissan 300ZX has virtually none - I used it for 8 years of commuting in a business suit and top down (to 50 degrees F). To be fair, I think a two-seater "chops off" the wrap around draft by having no space behind the front seats.
3. Personal settings - if you happen to live in two totally differnet places (say, SoCal and the Nevada desert) it is fully appropriate to have two totally different packages of personal settings. (Security is really a non-issue in the desert.) Let me put it this way - what possible reason is there to disallow the owner from controlling these settings at their free will?
4. If the roof controller loses its memory with a dead battery, then Lexus needs to do a more robust design job! "Non-volatile memory" is a fully proven and available technology. The solution is NOT to de-feature the product to compensate for bad design!
5. America needs to get its act together regarding "over-safety-contiousness" caused by liability concerns. It is seriously handicapping society in so many ways. But this challenge is well above my pay grade to fix. Nonetheless, Lexus seems to be going well beyond other prestigious auto manufacturers.
6. Forgive me - I get the sense that some of you guys think I have criticized your wife, kids, and mother! I see some irrational, defensive, self-justification in some of the posts!!
At the top end of the auto food chain, I expect Lexus (and Lexus owners) to strive for continuous improvement towards perfection. Lexus (and the owners) should resist the temptation to rest on their laurels and justify why things have to be the way they are! This is what brought down entire societies from the Roman Empire to the British Empire. Staying on the cutting edge is neither easy nor cheap - just look at what happened at Jaguar! O K., enough philosophy.

Once again, I really appreciate all the guidance from this group! It enhances the quality of the ownership experience.

Jim Herd

Last edited by Jim Herd; 02-10-05 at 10:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Grumblings of a New Owner!