Trunk Struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 02:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lisalisa
what exactly is the trunk struts? is that when u unlock the trunk and pull it open it opens smoothly? i notice that mine is kinda heavy to push open. i remember my other sc430 it was a little easier...but i maybe be wrong.

thanks
lisa
well, i wonder if it's tear and wear, that your old car has been for a while and the struts were going out?

on my new 05 sc430, the trunk is definitely hard to open, that's some heavy trunk lid and some strong struts here
Old 12-27-04, 02:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by talwang
My trunk struts have the same problem.
Unfortunately, my basic warranty has expired.

Does anyone know how much Lexus dealer charge to replace them?
umm.... i would really go in and talk with your dealership and see if they can do anything.

if i am correct, your car is still within 4 yrs from the purchase date. i guess it's your mileage that's over the warranty? imho, mileage won't really make the struts bad, it's the amount of times you use it, so it's more like on the time.

maybe the dealership will replace them for you under good will!
Old 12-27-04, 02:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Pirate400
I don't see how it could be a labor intensive job. Granted I have and Sc400 but I changed mine yesterday in 30 minutes
i wonder if it has to do with the hard top roof too. when the hard top comes down, the trunk opens the other way (different direction), so the trunk struts are actually setup in a pretty complicated way (hard to explain). maybe that's what makes it hard to change? i am just guessing though

i can see how it's very easy to change on the sc400 or even my gs400. definitely within 1 hr
Old 12-27-04, 04:45 AM
1ton
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine replaced as well. The part was on backorder for a while. I have a question when closing the trunk. Since the new install of the struts, it is more difficult to close...I have to pull down then really push on the top part of the trunk to get it to close. Is that normal? I usually use the lever inside the trunk on the right hand side to pull down and don't really want to put fingerprints on the car by having to push it down also. Is this normal?
Old 12-27-04, 06:42 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

In my experience, and I still have the original struts since April of 01, you do have to push the trunk lid closed, but not with any great amount of force.

I usually use that little inside handle to pull the lid down, and since my car is black and often clean, I don't like to just push down on the spoiler to close it. I often cose that last foot or so by pushing down on the red plastic tail light part at each side of the trunk lid, and this is enough.

I would think that if you have to slam it shut, something is (slightly) out of adjustment.

You should not have to live like that, slamming things around.

If it were my car, I would not consider this something calling for a special trip to the dealer, but on the next visit, I would mention this and ask him to check it out.

Happy New Year.
Old 12-27-04, 10:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1ton
I just got mine replaced as well. The part was on backorder for a while. I have a question when closing the trunk. Since the new install of the struts, it is more difficult to close...I have to pull down then really push on the top part of the trunk to get it to close. Is that normal? I usually use the lever inside the trunk on the right hand side to pull down and don't really want to put fingerprints on the car by having to push it down also. Is this normal?
on my 05 (totally new), that's the case, so i always thought it's normal. i don't have to push it with great force, but a little push to close the trunk lid
Old 12-27-04, 10:48 AM
vvking
Driver School Candidate

I usually have to slam the trunk with a moderate amount of force. It's been this way ever since I got my 2002 SC in April 2001. I always thought the reason for the "slam" was because the interior of the car is so airtight that the air pressure inside necessitated a slam.
Old 12-27-04, 11:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vvking
I usually have to slam the trunk with a moderate amount of force. It's been this way ever since I got my 2002 SC in April 2001. I always thought the reason for the "slam" was because the interior of the car is so airtight that the air pressure inside necessitated a slam.
that's possible too, i find it pretty darn hard to close the door, but with the other side open it's so easy to close
Old 01-07-05, 05:42 PM
hlovepenn
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the following for help on the trunk struts: http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/info_hood_shocks.htm
My wife's SC430 just needed trunk struts and they replaced them with 40,000 miles on it. By the way, the above website includes a way to use struts ffrom Autozone if you are interested! A lot of other good stuff, also. Good luck!
Old 01-07-05, 06:51 PM
capper
Rookie

Default Trunk strut costs...I called today...

I just bought a 2002, out of warrenty, but in good shape. I have the same problem with the trunk struts and their inability to hold the trunk open (I have the spoiler as well, which apparently increases their weight bearing load....however, you would think a car this well built would have a trunk that would stay open longer than 2 years)....I called Lexus of Nashville...the struts, for parts, are $150 each, so it's $300 plus installation in Nashville...they also said they don't keep them in stock, but can get them iwth 3-4 days notice. Capper
Old 01-07-05, 09:56 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi guys!

I just got my trunk struts replaced a few days ago...the trunk now stays open but its a little heavy to close and open..but way better. also, when i went in there the service manager notice that my remote key had a crack in the case so he ordered me a new one as good will.
Old 01-08-05, 11:40 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, I was going to write a new post on this subject, and found this right at the top.

My car is a year old ('04), and with only 2,200 miles. My trunk is hard to lift, as has always been, but now it doesn't open by ltself, like it used to do. However, it doesn't go back down either, wherever I leave it. Since it's cold (about 50ºF inside the garage), and gas contracts with cold temps, this might be normal behavior indeed. Hope to hear from newer car owners.

Have a great weekend.

JC
Old 01-10-05, 01:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lisalisa
hi guys!

I just got my trunk struts replaced a few days ago...the trunk now stays open but its a little heavy to close and open..but way better. also, when i went in there the service manager notice that my remote key had a crack in the case so he ordered me a new one as good will.
congrats! mind telling us which dealership you went to?
Old 01-10-05, 09:48 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
congrats! mind telling us which dealership you went to?

Hi guys!

I took my car to Valley Lexus in Modesto..the guys there were great!
Old 07-11-07, 06:31 PM
Ed Moulton
Driver School Candidate

Default SC430 Trunk Struts

My 2002 SC430 trunk struts were shot (would not hold up trunk lid). I found a great source on eBay (his eBay call name = mrlousstuff) for Lexus replacement struts. He also has an online eBay store called "Lift Supports Depot.com". I purchased a pair to fit SC430 with spoiler for $76.60 (buy it now, no bidding required). He shipped promptly after PayPal payment. I installed in about 30 minutes. You can use screwdriver to gently pry open the clip holding strut to ball on original struts. I really like the new struts' pin that holds them in place, I believe superior to the original clip. Just wanted to share my positive experience.
Regards all,
Ed

Quick Reply: Trunk Struts