SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Another runflat alternative...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-04, 05:56 PM
MedDawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another runflat alternative...

I just bought some B.F. Goodrich G-Force KDW2 non-runflats. For now, I'm just going to go without a spare.

As everyone else who previously replaced their runflats has stated, "It rides SO much better! I wish I had done this earlier!"

This is a description of the tire from the TireRack:

"The BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2 (KDW for Key feature: Dry and Wet traction. The “2” is our addition and identifies that this is the second generation g-Force T/A KDW) is the Ultra High Performance Summer tire that was developed to provide a blend of a dramatic-looking, ultra high performance tread design with superior dry and wet road performance. The BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2 is available in sizes for drivers of the world's hottest sports cars, coupes, sedans and light trucks.

The g-Force T/A KDW-2 features large tread blocks to enhance dry road stability, handling and wear under high torque loads, while rounded shoulder profiles help provide feedback for the driver by communicating the tire's progressive and predictable characteristics as they reach their limits of adhesion. A silica-reinforced tread compound with wide circumferential and lateral grooves form a directional tread design to speed water evacuation, improve wet traction and reduce the risk of hydroplaning. This basic tread design technology is shared with the g-Force T/A radial racing rain tires used in the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Trans Am Series. Internally, the twin steel belts are reinforced by BFGoodrich's ETEC (Equal TEnsion Containment) System which uses spirally wound nylon strips to provide excellent strength, consistent footprint pressure and maximum contact area under Y-speed rated conditions while it reduces weight and helps provide more uniform ride quality. The g-Force T/A KDW-2 tires feature g-Control sidewall inserts to resist deflection and generate cornering force while rim protector ribs help protect alloy wheels from curb damage."

Here's a pic of the tire. The KDW has a more traditional tread, the KDW2 has this unique tread:

Last edited by MedDawg; 10-02-04 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-02-04, 11:32 PM
herragge
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

interesting writeup from the tire rack. I was going to use the KDW's at first with my new wheels but went with the bridgestone s-03's instead. I think they might have been a mistake; they are super loud and continue to get louder. But i must also note that it does handle very well.

Have you had a chance to test out your tires yet? It would be interesting to see how they perform. BF Goodrich have really made an appearance in the high performance tire market.
Old 10-03-04, 10:12 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Great looking tires. What kind of mileage do you expect out of those?
SInce I plan to stick with RFs, I also heard the new ones on the C6 vette are a lot better, but haven't seen them. The front size is identical to our size, but I'd have to check the weight rating.
Old 10-08-04, 08:09 PM
Lexy
Rookie

Default Toyo T1-S

I have installed Toyo T1-S and find them to be really nice and smooth compared to any of the run-flats. They are also great in the Rain and Dry weather. I put 245 40 18's in the front, and 275 35 18's in the rear. Certainly helps with understeering with the wider profile in the back. ( Looks great as well ).

I have the TRD Chrome wheels that are 8.5" wide. They look nice.

Cheers

Mike from Vancouver, BC

Black SC430
Luxlink installed !

Bought all 4 for $ 732.00 US from WWW.EDGERACING.COM
Best price I could find anywhere.
Great Service from these guys.
Old 10-10-04, 02:18 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Love that tread design. Would look good on my NSX. Thanks for the post.