SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Gas Tank Reserve

Old 08-17-04, 10:14 AM
Umbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Reserve

The gas tank reserve on the SC is way too conservative. When the computer warns of "low fuel" there are still 2.5 to 3 gallons of gas left in the tank. I like to run the tank down to about 1.5 gallons before I refuel. I figure that the lower I run the tank between fillings, the fewer times I will have to visit the gas station during my lifetime. Of course, if I ever run out of gas it will erase any benefit. When low fuel warning comes on I just reset the trip odometer and take it another 20 or 30 miles before refueling. Is there any reason why the gas reserve on the Lexus is so large ?
Old 08-17-04, 11:11 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I've noticed the same thing, but do not know why the reserve is so large. In my car, the needle on the gague reads very high, also, and I suspect that there is well over 2 gallons left when the needle hits the "E."

I also think that the LCD on the center dash will send a warning much earlier than the red light in the instrument cluster, so this gives an early warning and a later warning. (The LCD may even be a two-stage alert, which would give 3 stages of alert, but I'm not sure of that.)

As for me, I don't let it run down as far as you do, even when on the highway.

I agree, however, that the alert comes too early.
Old 08-17-04, 11:36 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gas Tank Reserve

Originally posted by Umbo
I figure that the lower I run the tank between fillings, the fewer times I will have to visit the gas station during my lifetime. Of course, if I ever run out of gas it will erase any benefit.
Gasser's Law.

Last edited by Roofless; 08-17-04 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-17-04, 01:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

it's there just to be safe, not particular reasons
Old 08-17-04, 03:10 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

After having the same gas for 4 months now (stabilized, of course), will run the tank low before putting new gas, and I'll report my experience with the 'low' warnings. it's a tad above 1/4 now. Need to use the car more . I usually fuel up between 1/4 and 1/2 so I can do it at my convenience; I HATE having to do that during a storm, long lines, when running late, etc.

I'd imagine most car companies are always optimistic in that regard to avoid being sued (what's new, huh?). I like the ones that are optimistic with the warning light, but the gauge is accurate. Also remember the BOTTOM of the red zone means empty, not the beginning. I'm not going to push it that far, but if somebody happens to run out of gas, please do us a service and report where is the actual EMTPY point (it's always good to know).

Finally, it's advisable to run your tank above 1/2 in winter to avoid excessive moisture accumulation. Yes, this was way worse with steel tanks, but still happens with composite tanks like ours.

Later guys.
Old 08-17-04, 05:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I don't even remember ever seeing the warning light on since I bought the car almost 2 years ago, I always fill up with at least a quarter tank left. With the Gas prices this high nowadays, & the prices fluctuating frequently between anticipated highs & lows, I always take advantage of the lows whenever I can to fill up.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-17-04 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 05:39 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never let mine get below 1/2 unless on a trip. The Chevron near my office has a .05 discount on 93 octane every Wednesday and Sunday so I'm always within a few days of cheap gas. By saving 40 or 50 cents a week I'll be able to save enough to buy another SC430 by about 4500 AD, assuming they don't raise the price again. In this case the "they" is mother Lexus. I expect mother Cheveron/Texaco (is that right?) will raise the price and then I'll save even more so I can buy the new car sooner.

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 08-17-04 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 09:29 PM
Umbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasser's Law

I am keen on minimizing the time spent in life doing onerous tasks. I consider pumping gas to be right up there with mowing the lawn and cleaning the toilet. I decided to crunch the numbers for how many hours one would spend in a lifetime pumping gas if you fill the 20 gallon tank up when it is 12 gallons down vs. filling it when its 18 gallons down. At 13,000 mi/yr and 18 mi/gal that comes out to about 700 gallons/yr. That comes to 58 gas station visits/yr for the 12-gallon folks and 39 for the 18-gallon folks. Assuming a conservative 10 mins/fillup and a driving life of 50 years, that comes to an amazing 150 hours of extra time pumping gas during your lifetime if you fill the tank “prematurely”. That’s like working full time in gas station, constantly pumping gas for 4 weeks without pay. Do the math. There are a lot of other things in life that are similar like taking out the garbage when it’s not full.
Old 08-18-04, 03:49 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Umbo ...

Have you ever calculated the amount of time it takes to calculate the amount of time it takes to do all those things?
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-04, 04:40 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was a younger person living in the country of upstate NY, I worked in a gas station that was the social center of the town. What a great place to work, visit and meet people. Now things aren't quite so slow and easy here in NoVA but the people at my gas station are very friendly, always have a nice word, admire my cars and give me free coffee with every fillup. Now I know this is perverse but I also enjoy mowing the lawn! Go figure.

George
Old 08-18-04, 06:03 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Life is too short to re-calculate those calculations, but offhand I'd say that takes me maybe 3 or 4 minutes to fill up the tank with gas, not 10.

Even at a crappy station off the interstate in rural Tennessee at night I can fill the tank, buy a Jolt Cola and take a wizz in less than 10 minutes. Even if I flush.

So I don't buy that 150 hour crap for a minute. Besides, Umbo, you forgot to allow for the fact that those who fill their tanks more frequently are pumping less gas and thus each stop for them will take less time than a stop made by drivers who are pumping 18 gallons. Those incremental hours at the margin will throw off your differential regression analysis every time.

I think the correct answer to the question is "Who cares!"
Old 08-18-04, 06:12 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

>... I can fill the tank, buy a Jolt Cola and take a wizz in less than 10 minutes. Even if I flush.<

Hmmm ... apparently Tim takes those "Employees Must Wash Hands" signs seriously.
Old 08-18-04, 07:15 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

The complexity of Gasser's Law can be mind-boggling. Jolt Cola or no Jolt Cola... wash or no wash... ten minutes or 4 minutes... Prius or non-Prius?

Just for kicks, I recently ran my tank down to zero while cruizing down a street full of gas stations. (Gasser would certainly approve.) My light came on with 50 miles left. We know this is an average estimation, and I was curious what my actual miles would be. I was out on a relatively empty interstate cruising between 65-80. I pulled off the freeway with 2 miles left on the tank. I noticed in the last 12 miles that the counter jumped from 10 to 8 and 4 to 2 very fast as it re-estimated remaining miles. After it clicked to zero, I was able to drive for almost a half mile before it sputtered and I charged into the nearest station. Checked my odometer: 43 miles. I did not get a Jolt Cola.

Last edited by Roofless; 08-18-04 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-18-04, 07:33 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally posted by Roofless
My light came on with 50 miles left... Checked my odometer: 43 miles.
Hey Roofless, so the trip computer said 50 miles and you actually got 43??? Not very accurate, even after that rapid 'recalculation', huh?

Did you notice where was the gas gauge needle when the light came on, and when you almost ran out of gas?

Thanks man.
Old 08-18-04, 10:20 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Yep. But keep in mind, the computer doesn't know how you're going to drive those last 50 miles or whether you'll be going up and down hills, etc. If I had kept it at a steady 65, I would have got pretty close to 50. I wanted to know when the light comes on, how far do I have driving the way I drive.

And yes, I was watching the gas gauge needle. At 50 miles, it looked like I would expect; it had a little ways to go. (It was right on the middle of the last peg before the E.) At 20 miles remaining, it looked like it was at the very end for sure, but it did go down a bit further. You can't tell where the end is, so the needle is not a good tool when you're getting close to fumes. However, having done this test I now know that the end on my gauge is the needle just touching the upper right corner of the E - same as when the car is turned off.

My test did reassure me that I could rely on the trip computer, as long as I understand the computer's limitations. Knowing I have 40 miles left when the light comes on is all I wanted to know. Well, I also wanted to know if zero miles was really zero miles. It is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Tank Reserve