SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Gas Tank Reserve

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-04, 04:48 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Carpe Diem
If you go waaaaay back, I think all petroleum based fuels contains lizard feces, probably from very large lizards.
Good point!
I definitely got chunky-style!
Old 09-12-04, 04:17 PM
caraholic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I had almost the same results. I also drove until I got the LOW FUEL msg on the Trip computer. My tank held 17.3 gals, so I think there was 2.5 gals remaining just as several others have said on here. I got 354 miles on this tank so I averged 20 mpg which was the same as the trip computer said. So instead of 277 miles as the trip computer said when I filled up last time, I actually could get close to 400 miles if I wanted to use the last couple of gallons. So, bottom line is the trip computer is worthless, except for tracking MPG. My last car, the 350Z, actually multiplied gals remaining in the tank times avg mpg and was extremely accurate. But the SC's computer is not only inaccurate it's much worse when the tank is full then wwhen it gets low. Anyway, I'm done with my own research but am disappointed with the trip computer. However, that's the only flaw in this great car so it's not really a big deal. Weather here in Derby city has been great so I'm going to put the down down and do some cruisin.......
Old 09-14-04, 10:28 PM
Umbo
Rookie

OK, I've taken it as far as my spinchters will allow me. I went 31 miles beyond the computer reading "low fuel". The tank held 18.8 gallons without topping off. Not a sputter.
Old 11-24-13, 05:17 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Umbo
OK, I've taken it as far as my spinchters will allow me. I went 31 miles beyond the computer reading "low fuel". The tank held 18.8 gallons without topping off. Not a sputter.
Sorry for reviving a decade old thread, but at least I used the search function before posting, right?

This came up last night and I went 10 miles after LOW FUEL and then put 19.17 gallons in, topping off to the max. This suggests to me a range after LOW FUEL of about 20 miles, based on 20 MPG.

I think Umbo is long gone, but his results give a much longer range, especially since he did not top off.

While the tank is 19.8, the fuel pump has to be submerged for cooling, so its not exactly clear how much is left in the tank when the pickup no longer can get fuel. Also, I'm guessing that the 19.8 is the tank capacity, whereas if you top off, you can pack some fuel in the fill neck (not that that's a good thing).

Does anyone else have actual numbers for "Miles drive after LOW FUEL" then "number of gallons added"?

(Clarification: LOW FUEL notification in the center console, not the light on the gas gauge.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 11-24-13 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-24-13, 10:46 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

I would be concerned with sucking up some nasty stuff from the bottom of the tank or are my concerns unfounded?
Old 11-25-13, 10:27 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

"Sucking up nasty stuff from the bottom" is a real concern. Over the course of several years, the sediment accumulates.

I've always been too nervous to go much past where my trip computer says that there is less than 10 miles of range left. I think that I've made it down to 8 or 5 miles once but I don't try to do that every time. I usually try to fill up while I still have 20 miles of range left. (I did run a car out of gas once just to determine what the actual range and tank capacity were. I mainly embarrassed myself in front of a couple of friends when the car wouldn't start after putting more gas in it. I don't do that anymore. )
Old 11-27-13, 01:13 AM
ser67
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Ford Mondeo (UK vehicle) and the trip computer got down to zero mile range left after the fuel gauge lamp had been amber for a good 20+ miles.

I coasted in neutral down to the station, and I'm sure that I didn't need to turn it off as it was actually out of fuel and silent - then I filled her up.

The ONLY time I've actually filled up with more fuel than the tank could actually hold - according to the handy owners manual.

Must have been in the neck...
Old 11-27-13, 07:19 AM
tdedden
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Sorry for reviving a decade old thread, but at least I used the search function before posting, right?

This came up last night and I went 10 miles after LOW FUEL and then put 19.17 gallons in, topping off to the max. This suggests to me a range after LOW FUEL of about 20 miles, based on 20 MPG.

I think Umbo is long gone, but his results give a much longer range, especially since he did not top off.

While the tank is 19.8, the fuel pump has to be submerged for cooling, so its not exactly clear how much is left in the tank when the pickup no longer can get fuel. Also, I'm guessing that the 19.8 is the tank capacity, whereas if you top off, you can pack some fuel in the fill neck (not that that's a good thing).

Does anyone else have actual numbers for "Miles drive after LOW FUEL" then "number of gallons added"?

(Clarification: LOW FUEL notification in the center console, not the light on the gas gauge.
Per Roofless' post #13 on page 1 of this thread he says that he got 43 miles after the initial warning light lit up however I don't know which light he's referring to. His trip computer said 50 miles to empty and he thinks that he would have gone 50 had he been doing the speed limit.
Old 11-29-13, 08:28 AM
indawire
Driver School Candidate

Default What's left

Hey everybody knows that when you get down to "E" it means enough