SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430's harsh ride problems fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-03, 11:45 PM
jlinjpn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430's harsh ride problems fixed?

In just a few weeks I will purchase a brand new 2004 SC 430, and look forward to enjoying a relatively smooth ride in the car I buy. However, I must confess that I am concerned about the problems with the car's ride, after reading lots of posts discussing the harsh ride of their SC 430s attributable to the OEM run-flat tires. New SC 430s only come with run-flat tires, so unless the Lexus dealer is willing to exchange the stock tires with a brand of non-run flat tire that I may want installed before delivery (such as the Michelin), it appears that I will be stuck with the OEM run-flat tires.

All of this assumes that problems with the harsh ride still exist...thus, my question for the forum is, "Have the SC 430's harsh ride problems been fixed with the 2004 SC 430?"

Thanks!

jl
Old 11-12-03, 12:32 AM
discipline
Driver School Candidate

Default Harsch?

I have those tires and I don't think the ride is as bad as everybody say.. There is a difference that is noticed, but I don't think the ride is harsch. My suggestion is; test-drive the car with run-flats and make up your own mind.
Old 11-12-03, 06:22 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I had the run flats and the ride was great for 5000-7000 miles. Then it became very noisy and harsh. Not a ride worthy of this car. I lived with it until about 12,000 miles. I put HRE 540Rs on that were bigger than the 18" wheels, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I know this is all subjective, and everyone's butt notices different features of a car's ride, but there is no comparison to the Michelins as far as ride, performance, handling etc. I mean no comparison between the Michelins and run flats. I'm sure there are other non run flats that are just as smooth. Just something to consider. The Michelins are pricey, but not when you compare the price of them to run flats. I've seen too many posts on this forum that are anti run flat to think I'm the only one who thinks this. You could have bicycle tires on this car and it would still be worth it. It is a world class automobile.

Doc C
Old 11-12-03, 09:30 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Just 2 comments here.
First, '04 cars are fitted with new dunlop 5000 runflat tires, which supposedly are better than the previous bridgestones. My '04 rides firm, but not harsh. However, I'm used to this kind of ride, and I personally like it. And make no mistake: no 40-series tire will have a creamy ride, I don't care what brand you buy.

Second, runflats are still an OPTION, and is listed as such on the window sticker. If you want regular tires, just order the car that way, and save yourself $400 in the process, plus you'll have a spare (albeit no trunk left). Since most people opt for both the runflats and spoiler, most dealers order the cars that way, that's all.

After you get into the car, you'll forget about the stupid tires .

Take care.

JC
Old 11-13-03, 02:28 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

elp ...

The runflats are an option? How about the rear spoiler and Nav system? All three were "options" when I bought my '02 ... and all three were options I could not refuse.
Old 11-13-03, 03:18 PM
jlinjpn
Driver School Candidate

Default The lowdown on the "optional" spoiler

About the "optional" spoiler and run-flat tires...a local Lexus dealer advised me this morning that he would be happy to order a 2004 SC 430 for me without the spoiler and without the run-flat tires, saving me $400 and giving me a spare tire in the process. The catch is that the car must be ordered from the factory that way,a process that takes roughly three months from order date to actual delivery. He suggested that most people are not willing to wait that long to get their hands on the car once they've decided the SC 430 is for them. I fall into that group too; if three months ago I'd known more about the rough ride on the run-flats, and the option not to have the "optional" spoiler, I very likely would have ordered the car without the spoiler or run-flats. However, I'm not now going to let the spoiler spoil the fun of having the car now.

Driving with non-run-flat tires is not so intimidating to me; I''ve driven motorcycles since the 60s -- obviously without a spare, and without having a flat, and likewise have never once needed to use the spare in my two mid-1980s vintage Hondas. Just in case, though, for years I have equipped all my vehicles with Ride-On tire sealant, which has surely saved my butt from flats over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to drive the SC 430 without a spare, as long as I have Ride-On (and a current AAA membership, just in case....)

Check out Ride-On at: http://www.ride-on.com/plt.htm

Last edited by jlinjpn; 11-13-03 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-13-03, 09:50 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

jlinjpn,

One thing to consider is that your car will have run flat sensors. Most tire repair items like Ride-On will destroy the run flat sensor if you use it. Those babies are around $163 each. I'm not proposing you keep the run flat tires. They are not good. Maybe the new ones are better, but the non run flats I've experienced are WAY better than the run flats I had on my 2003 SC. No rattles and road noise. Smooth!! I wouldn't worry about the AAA membership. You get Lexus roadside assistance with your car for awhile. If you get Lexus Link you can use that too if you get stranded. Anyway, you'll be glad you have this car. Get the non runflats and pick up a small donut spare at a salvage yard to use on long trips for some added piece of mind. Just my two cents.

Doc C
Old 11-14-03, 09:09 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's the answer to your question niceSC430:

FACTORY Options in '02 were: RF tires, spoiler, Navigation
in '03 were: RF tires, spoiler, lexus link (Navigation became standard)
in '04 are: RF tires, spoiler (lexus link was dropped)

The rest of the items, like trunk mat, wheel locks, cargo net, chrome wheels, star caps, etc. are PORT OPTIONS, but are incorporated into the window sticker.

Take care.

JC
Old 11-14-03, 10:13 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

elp ...

I know what the so-called options were in 2002, but my point is that customers were not allowed to opt out. All the arriving cars (after the first 60 or so) had all three options - take it or leave it.
Old 11-17-03, 08:15 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by ELP_JC

After you get into the car, you'll forget about the stupid tires .

JC [/B]
Exactly! That's why I traded mine for a GS3!
Old 11-19-03, 01:05 AM
pjbsc430
Driver School Candidate

I have the run flats and my ride is fantastic, once they installed the updated bushings in the rear end.
Old 11-21-03, 09:12 PM
alfa2600
Driver

OK, I used the original. runflats on my 2002 for about 23,000 miles. Fair amount of high speed interstate cruising. Quite a bit of tread left when I finallyt replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sports - and not MPS all-seasons either, I got the sunshine tires because I always put the SC in storage for the winter.

I am heartily sorry that I was penny wise and pound foolish, should have switched out of the runflats much sooner. Yes, the ride is somewhat better and smoother (I had the rear bushings fixed two years ago and the ride was still harsh with the RFs albeit a bit improved) BUT the real advantage with the MPS tires is in the handling, no more tramlining and jiggly steering.. There is really a big big improvement. To anyone who is driving with runflats, I say get rid of them at once, you will not be sorry. Sure, I carry the mini spare in the back seat, but it's worth the trouble.
Old 11-22-03, 04:34 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Does anyone have first hand experience with both the Pilot Sports and the Pilot Sport A/Ss? In the Tire Rack ratings the A/S is rated higher for ride smoothness and noise. Doesn't seem logical.

Last edited by rcf8000; 11-22-03 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-22-03, 11:19 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I got the Pilot Sport A/S. I winter my car too, but sometimes in Colorado, you get caught with a late or early snow when you're out of town. Plus, the way they deal with the rain is fantastic. I can tell you that this is a different car with the A/S tires on it. It is smoother quieter and has much more performance than with the RFs. I can only tell you that I have a friend with an NSX that does a lot of USAC autocross events. He has had both the Pilot Sports and the Pilot Sport A/S on there. He swears the Pilot A/S are better than the regular Pilot Sports for handling and performance. He said if they aren't better, then they are just as good as far as he's concerned.

Doc C
Old 11-22-03, 01:45 PM
jlinjpn
Driver School Candidate

Default Problems with Goodyearfs Eagle F1 GS-D3?

Itfs about time that I nail down a decision about whether and what to do about the optional runflat (RF) tires that I am obliged to purchase on my new SC 430 next week. All the comments that have been made about the RF tires, pro and con, have gone a long way to shape my thinking on the topic. Herefs where I stand as of now.

First, enough users of RF tires have complained about the ride to convince me to go with conventional tires right from the get-go. I really donft care about losing some trunk space to a spare tire. Smoothness of ride, comfort, and (relative) lack of road noise are more important to me than losing some carrying capacity in the trunk. The question remaining, then, is which conventional tire to choose to replace the new RF tires?

Many here have praised the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season (A/S) tire, so I went to TireRack.com to learn more about the tire. It turns out that this Michelin is positioned as an Ultra High Performance All-Season tire, which provides glight snow traction through tread designs and compounds which remain more flexible in the cold weather to help blend all-season traction with very good handling and high speed capabilitiesh (see: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/uhpas.htm). Here in Southern California, I need light snow traction capability in a tire like the SC 430 needs a smaller trunk, so that feature of the A/S tire really is of no use to me. That prompted me to check out the Michelin Pilot Sport.

I learned that the Pilot Sport is a maximum performance summer tire that provides gsuperior dry and wet traction, handling and high speed capabilitiesh (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/maxperf.htm) . . . just what I thought I was after. However, at $242 per tire plus shipping, the tire is not what I would call a bargain, so itfs worthwhile checking out the completion. Thatfs when I stumbled across the TireRack.com Tire Survey Results webpage.

The top rated tire in the Maximum Performance Summer category is Goodyearfs Eagle F1 GS-D3, compared to the #4 rated Michelin Pilot Sport. In every category of tire performance the Goodyear tire beats the Michelin, though the latter has been on the road a lot longer (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/max.jsp). The price of the Goodyear also compares favourably to the Michelin: $208 per tire (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....re1=yes#Survey ). The Goodyear seems to be a superior tire.

So herefs my question after this long-winded monologue: Is anyone aware of a problem or has an unpleasant experience with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 that would make it a bad choice of conventional tire to start my adventure with the SC 430?

Many thanks for your posts!

John

Quick Reply: SC430's harsh ride problems fixed?