SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

INJEN Intake. DYNO Results (PIC)...Myth Buster!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 11:56 PM
SEVY B
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INJEN Intake. DYNO Results (PIC)...Myth Buster!!

In Sept. 2007, I installed the Injen cold air intake and later the heat shield on my 02 SC430. After professional installation, I did not notice any improvement in performance, however, I enjoyed the mean sound made when I layed on the pedal.

It was recommended by a couple of fellow CL members that I reset the ECU by unpluging the negative terminal on the battery for at least 30-45 minutes. Initially, I thought I felt an increase in performance, however it was short lived.

Since then, Feb 2009, I put my car on an eddy current dyno (performed by professionals at Race Precision, Inc. in Paramount, CA), closed the hood and had a fan blowing from the front of the car to the back (simulating 70mph wind) and the results confirmed what I was feeling. With the Injen intake system installed...a decrease of approx. 20hp at the wheel and a decrease in torque as well!!

Think about it. This is called a cold air intake (CAI) Where's the cold air coming from? With the Injen intake system the air filter is placed in an area where there's mild air flow and absolutely no cold air as well.

Plus, the intake piping is made of metal. Metal retains heat, more heat, less HP. That's very well documented. That's why the stock is made of a special plastic that doesn't retain as much heat...much better design.

According to Injen this is a "Dyno proven" system...I don't understand. I really wonder how they obtain their results, if any. I question their procedures.

This is an inferior performance modification. I don't recommend buying this intake b/c you will have a decrease in horse power and torque.

If you're looking for a mean noise vs. stock then go for it. But be prepared for a loss in HP and torque.

The graph clearly shows the truth. The results on the top of the graph is with the stock intake and the lower part of the graph is with the Injen intake sytem. The blue line is torque and the red line is HP. The undeniable data has been gathered.

Btw, I sent an email to Injen and asked them to explain the results of this test.....they never responded.
Attached Thumbnails INJEN Intake. DYNO Results (PIC)...Myth Buster!!-217.jpg  

Last edited by SEVY B; 03-06-09 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-06-09, 05:42 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Just to be clear, the Blue line is w/o the Injen intake and the Red line is with the Injen
Old 03-06-09, 07:01 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmnn aren't the GS430 guys getting + results?
Old 03-06-09, 08:05 AM
SEVY B
Driver

Originally Posted by IS_250
Just to be clear, the Blue line is w/o the Injen intake and the Red line is with the Injen
The blue line is torque and the red line is HP. (the 2 lines on the botton are w/ the Injen intake on and the 2 lines on the top are w/ the stock intake.)

WOW! what a difference. If you want more performance, get the Injen intake off your car.

Last edited by SEVY B; 03-06-09 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-06-09, 08:18 AM
SEVY B
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Hmnn aren't the GS430 guys getting + results?

All we did was swap intakes and then test....

If the GS setup is the same as the SC then most probably they're having a loss in HP too. A dyno will confirm.
Old 03-06-09, 08:19 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Did you reflash the ECU?Or let it learn its settings it probably threw off the AFR
Old 03-06-09, 08:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have always believed intake and exhaust are nothing but sound effect on the car, i wouldn't really expect much power gain from them
Old 03-06-09, 09:06 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVY B
The blue line is torque and the red line is HP. (the 2 lines on the botton are w/ the Injen intake on and the 2 lines on the top are w/ the stock intake.)

WOW! what a difference. If you want more performance, get the Injen intake off your car.

The red and blue lines are 2 different runs. Top is torque, bottom is HP. but still.... what a craptastic product, lol.
Old 03-06-09, 09:53 AM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Hmm..very interesting results...

Just realize that a 150HP difference would be quite noticeable (initial acceleration). The car would barely even move! So I seriously doubt that the results provided in this thread is 100% accurate.

Last edited by CAMAracer; 03-08-09 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-06-09, 11:29 AM
02Ku
Driver

I've dynoed my car (both stock and with the injen intake) and I have had opposite results. Without the injen intake my HP was 228 and 245 Torque; similar to your results (blue lines). With the intake I have 235 HP and 248 Torque. Same dyno, same setup, different days.

Granted, a 7 HP increase is a little too much gain just using an intake, so I attribute that to a hot summer versus late fall. I would expect 3-5 HP as I have put several intakes on several vehicles and seen these types of results. I also can ensure you that I have not lost 25 HP, as you would be able to tell when you are driving.

I would suspect that something is not correctly hooked up or Race Precision is not really precise.

Others - can you post up your results.
Old 03-08-09, 07:46 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tend to agree with O2Ku. I installed an Injen intake on our 2002 SC. While I didn't notice any huge increase in power I don't believe a huge decrease happened either. If the intake caused a 25 Hp drop I would have noticed. The curves for the torque and Hp will have shifted in the RPM band I'm sure but I didn't take a 10% hit on power and torque. No intake is going to make that amount of change as O2Ku said.
Old 03-08-09, 10:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

A dyno sheet without the A/F ratio graph is useless. If you have it, please post it so we can try to see what's going on here.
Old 03-08-09, 07:25 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

Okay the red is with regular engine oil

and the blue is with purple royal engine oil
Old 03-10-09, 12:59 PM
RPIpower
Driver School Candidate

Its not a 100hp difference. Its about 20whp difference between the two.
Old 03-10-09, 01:00 PM
RPIpower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
A dyno sheet without the A/F ratio graph is useless. If you have it, please post it so we can try to see what's going on here.
That is not an accurate statement. What changes the most is NOT afr. When the IATs reach a certain level, the ignition timing is pulled.

Quick Reply: INJEN Intake. DYNO Results (PIC)...Myth Buster!!