SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

tail light upgrades for 92-94 SC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-03, 12:20 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tail light upgrades for 92-94 SC?

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed over and over again. I searched and read through some threads of people trying to work through the problems of hyper blinking and rear tail light failure sensor indicator, when upgrading their 92-94 tail lights to 95+ factory tail lights. However, there didn't seem to be any concrete solution to this problem. Some people recommended just removing the bulb that lights up the tail light failure indicator, but that wouldn't stop the hyper-blinking. Some people suggested the installation of relays and resistors, but there was no definite answer or DIY write-up on that. Intellexual.net has some great insights for newbie SC owners, but doesn't mention the tail light upgrades and associated problems.

So I was wondering: is there a solution for this? What are our options if we want to upgrade the look of our tail lights?

I hope someone can shed some light and provide a solution.. otherwise I may just have to go with aLTeZZaS... w00t!

-Brian.
Old 09-18-03, 03:40 AM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank God there are no altezza's for our car.

I haven't done it yet, but one of the gents from Planetsoarer said that you can wire resistors in to the blinker circuit [which is what I might do]. Or you can order the pack that comes with the 95-up tails
Old 09-18-03, 05:09 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good post Brian,

I just picked up my 95-96 taillights last nite for my 92 SC400. I read all the posts as well, and still uncertain about the procedure.

Hey Leon,

Do you know where/what wire you are suppose to splice the resistor into? And do you have too do it to both wire sets going to the taillights or just one of the wires coming back into the lamp failure sensor relay?

Retail price for the 95-96 sensor failure relay was something in the neighborhood of $315. Much rather go with the $1 resistor method if I can figure the correct install procedure.

Another question, I have not takin out my old lamp assembly yet to look behind it. But I am assuming the wire/bulb harness on my 92 lights will directly fit the 95-96 lights. Is this correct, or do I have to order the wiring harness for the 95-96 light setup?

Thanks
LexusBiz
Old 09-20-03, 03:48 AM
legendary
Racer

I have not taken the time to check and see where I am going to do the resistors, but I would assume it would be between the two wires per side, to imitate a bulb...however, I need to find out if it is parallel or in series or straight across.

As far as the swap, it is very straightforward. The swap is pretty painless.....mine went right on
Old 09-20-03, 09:29 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

why does everyone want to upgrade their 92-94 lights? I personally like the way they look...
Old 09-21-03, 10:31 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mrshabo
why does everyone want to upgrade their 92-94 lights? I personally like the way they look...
i really think they look too plain...i'd LOVE to upgrade my pair with a set of 97+.
Old 09-23-03, 08:34 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Hey Leon,

Please let me know how you wired the resistor in when you get it done. I am waiting for the 95-96 wire harness right now to arrive.

Thanks
LexusBiz
Old 09-23-03, 05:59 PM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by LexusBiz
Hey Leon,

Please let me know how you wired the resistor in when you get it done. I am waiting for the 95-96 wire harness right now to arrive.

Thanks
LexusBiz
sure thing.....
I will do a step by step for Rich
Old 10-03-03, 11:49 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on this?
Old 10-06-03, 08:03 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Still waiting to hear myself.

I got the new taillights in, but have not fixed the hyper blinking. I remember someone mentioning wiring in a 6ohm (5-50watt) resistor to remedy the hyper blink. But I am not sure where to wire the resistor into. I am assuming you need to just splice one of the wires either going to, or coming from the turn signal bulb socket.

I don't know if you need only one resistor total, or one resistor per light assembly.

Hopefully someone can chime in and give us a update.
Old 10-13-03, 12:34 PM
LexusBiz
Driver

Need Assistance!!!

I upgraded my 92 SC400 with the 95 taillights. Trying to cure the hyper blinking turn signals. I remember reading on the forum on how you can wire in a 6ohm resistor in the turn signal wires to cure the hyper blink.

So this past weekend I took out the lights and wiring harness. I spliced the green/yellow wire leading to the turn signal on the driver side taillight. I attached the resistor. But no luck, it just killed my turn signal on that taillight.

I was not able to find a 6ohm resistor, instead I tried a 8ohm/20watt non-inductive resistor and a 10ohm/10watt wirewound resistor. Both of them just killed the turn signal.

Does anyone know how I can cure this issue? Am I wiring in the wrong location, wrong resistor?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks
LexusBiz
Old 06-13-04, 08:56 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default Any Fixes Yet????

Hey there guys... I'm having the same problem... I've been searching everywhere and I can't find a straight cure or directions to fix other than the one about putting extra bulbs then just hidding them by the spare tire... I'd like to fix this problem correctly rather than hidding an extra set of bulbs... Thanks in advance for any help... Bryan
Old 09-15-07, 10:57 AM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

Holy dead thread revivals batman!! Why start a new thread when I can just revive one that's 4 years old?!?!

I've been searching my *** off for a difinitive answer for this as well. Has noone figured this out yet?!
Old 01-04-08, 01:19 AM
lawrenceO
Driver

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...tml?1187715571

I was looking on this site as well as soarercentral, and Luke Gomer (a Soarercentral member based in England) has developed the fix in the link shown....
Old 01-04-08, 01:22 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ Bookmarked!--- I'll read this at work he he.

I think a CL member named eggman has done this.

Quick Reply: tail light upgrades for 92-94 SC?