SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

weird gas pedal problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-03, 05:51 PM
lawbrum319
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy weird gas pedal problem

'92 SC300. Weird to me, but someone here probably know whats up. Without car on, push gas and everything feels fine. Turn on car, and right when you start to push gas, pedal feels like its stuck just a little. Result is I push a little harder and then the car jerks real fast from the acceleration. It feels like something is stuck a little but with just a little effort it breaks free. It does everytime I first start it and drive. If I stop at a redlight or stop sign it doesnt do this. I just dont have a clue! Any help appreciated.
Old 07-25-03, 11:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

problem in the ecu? these cars gas are controlled by the computer. pushing the pedal to the floor slowly will result in the motor never opening up wide open. stomping it will release everything it has got. the ecu gives the car a signal to go based upon your reaction time to the pedal.

if you push the gas down from nothing to the floor over a one second period, the car only runs @ 80% at best. instant reaction to the floor opens it wide open.

perhaps the ecu is malfunctioning on you.
Old 07-26-03, 08:05 AM
lawbrum319
Rookie

Unhappy I dont get it?

Im not quite sure if we are on the same page. If you are backing out of a parking spot when you first start your car, I would assume no person on here would slam their accelerator all the way to floor. Typically people give a little gas, back out, and then maybe take off like wild once in drive. The problem Im stating is that at the very top of my gas pedal at rest, when car turned on, the pedal has a little feeling of sticking which in turn breaks free pretty easily when pressed with the foot. It results in the car jerking forward or backwards b/c of the pedal going down a little further than planned once the pedal does give way. Hope this helps again. I really would like to figure this out.
P.S. Does anyone know where I can get the little fasteners for the inside trim pieces above our windows. Both of mine are worn and the trim pieces come down sometimes. I push them back in and a while latter they are down again. Ive looked for them with no luck.
Thanks.
Old 07-26-03, 06:31 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem with a 99 SC400 CPO car I owned briefly. I complained to the dealer and was told that this was normal operation! Well not in my book. It seems after you start the car there is a little magnetic pad that holds the throttle closed. You have to press hard enough to overcome the magnetic attraction and, then when it lets go, zoom! Not right in my mind. That's one of several reasons I got rid of that car.
Old 07-26-03, 07:26 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

lawbrun319,
Have you checked your throttle cable? May be loose. Reset your ECU as well (fuse is under the bonnet in the fusebox).
Old 07-26-03, 08:25 PM
KingMota
Driver School Candidate

Default Gas pedal problem

We had this exact same problem with a 96 SC300 we bought in May. We had the dealer clean the throttle body and it completely solved the problem. I thought the pedal was only sticking from a start, but it actually feels "looser" all the time. If you are handy you can clean the throttle body yourself, but if not my dealer quoted $78 for doing that.
Old 08-09-03, 12:51 AM
OoLiLMaRyoO
Driver School Candidate

hey! i had a problem exactly like this oneee.... little late but heck i havent been on in awhile..

im really lazy to type it so just either PM me or AIM me on my aim sn: xxlilmaryxx.... iono if what i did was the solution but heck it cleared it up for me! hehehe but yeah i dun think it has aneething to do with the technical stuff.. it's jes sumtin is stuck..that's all.. but yeah.. if you want to know what i did, jes PM me or aim me.. ;]
Old 08-09-03, 02:09 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I'm a little late here, too. But, I would've said the exact same thing as KingMota. Check the throttle body. Carbon build-up is a bitc$. Had the same problem with my Camry V6. Again, prolly too late, but maaaaaaaaaybe not.

Take care,
Matt