SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How to identify a JZX100 and also...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-15, 04:22 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to identify a JZX100 and also...

Hey, Forum

I need some help on how to physically identify/confirm that a vvti 1jz is a JZX100 series motor?
JDM engine depot has fallen out of touch with me.

I got in touch with a importer here in Texas and they have 2 motors that look so clean and dry you can eat off of them...BUT, the sellers do not know if it is a JZX100 motor or one of the others like a 90 or 110.

AND Also, why do I specifically want a JZX100...why not any of the other vvti 1JZ's?

So does anyone here know how to tell physically like an ecu serial number or engine block serial number etc..???

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Carlos

P.S. If I can confirm that either of these is a JZX100 motor then I'm pulling the trigger asap.

Last edited by ashtray; 07-03-15 at 04:32 PM. Reason: grammer, added AND
Old 07-03-15, 06:31 PM
Flogrown
Pole Position

If you are swapping it in a SC the easiest route would be to find a Soarer, I'm in the process of dropping in a 1j vvti from a chaser into a SC, you just basically need to swap out the oil pan to a rear sump off of your SC. Both of the engines are basically the same that you are looking at.
Old 07-03-15, 06:34 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Also, why do I want a JZX100?

I've sourced 2 automatic vvti 1jz motors and they really just seem so much cleaner and probably healthier internally. Money is not of my concern and I plan to spend top dollar on the harness and the rebuild...but I've just learned that these 2 specific motors are NOT JZX100 motors. They are from a Mark II or a Corona. Thoughts?

edit: Give me one minute. Going to upload photos of the 2 exact motors that I'm considering.
Old 07-03-15, 06:46 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Okay so this motor comes with an R154, it costs more and looks dirtier but after looking at my photos they sent me, I can't spot the ecu and they have not responded to my request for a compression test video.
Name:  2015-06-27%2016.01.41_zps0hb1b9wl.jpg
Views: 2766
Size:  286.6 KB

Now this motor is just so dang clean. It is from an automatic. It does say it is from a Chaser but I'm not 100%. This one is in Texas so that works for me. And since it does not come with a tranny, I'd be able to source my own R154, hopefully a badass rebuilt one.
Name:  vvti%201jz_zps3kfumjhu.jpg
Views: 3178
Size:  72.3 KB
Old 07-03-15, 07:17 PM
Flogrown
Pole Position

There is no difference between the Chaser, Markii motors . I would pass on any motor that I couldn't see a compression test on. Like I said you just need to swap out oil pans, and motor mount brackets. As far as wanting a Chaser motor every 1j vvti is the same just different pin outs, but since you are getting your harness done by a pro you will be good.
Old 07-03-15, 07:36 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Great. So all I need to worry about is a compression test and how healthy the motor looks
Old 07-03-15, 07:40 PM
Flogrown
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ashtray
Great. So all I need to worry about is a compression test and how healthy the motor looks
Compression test first and foremost, as far as looks I wouldn't be to concerned about it cuz you can always polish a turd and make it look good.
Old 07-03-15, 07:43 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

They pressure wash the hell out of every engine.......load them up with degreaser....etc.....Physical appearance means nothing....

I would not buy that engine without seeing a compression test.......or if you can take a trip down and see the engine in person.....

Either way I would not trust to just swap it in without doing at a minimum...... water pump and oil pump.....since you have to swaps the pans might as well do it right the first time.....

Everyone just thinks it is so simple to just swap an engine in.....its not by any means......People cut corners and rush the swap and they wonder why they have issues or engine has never ran right....etc.

You will regret it down the road.....If you dont have the money to do it right.....save up enough $$$$........it will start to nickel and dime you with all the odds and ends you didnt think of...

IMO man you should have went the 2JZGTE route......

Last edited by CatManD3W; 07-03-15 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-03-15, 08:25 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Flogrown
Compression test first and foremost, as far as looks I wouldn't be to concerned about it cuz you can always polish a turd and make it look good.
Got it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
They pressure wash the hell out of every engine.......load them up with degreaser....etc.....Physical appearance means nothing....

I would not buy that engine without seeing a compression test.......or if you can take a trip down and see the engine in person.....

Either way I would not trust to just swap it in without doing at a minimum...... water pump and oil pump.....since you have to swaps the pans might as well do it right the first time.....

Everyone just thinks it is so simple to just swap an engine in.....its not by any means......People cut corners and rush the swap and they wonder why they have issues or engine has never ran right....etc.

You will regret it down the road.....If you dont have the money to do it right.....save up enough $$$$........it will start to nickel and dime you with all the odds and ends you didnt think of...

IMO man you should have went the 2JZGTE route......
Maybe you did not read that money is not my MAIN concern on any of this, and also, I am going to be servicing the engine 100% from gaskets to belts to sensors turbos pumps pullys etc. Thanks for your opinion but I have set my mind. Everyone has a 2JZ these days. I want something unique.

edit: But yes I am saving up money before putting it in and it will be fully rebuilt. And trust me I'm not taking any of this lightly or assuming that "it is so simple to just swap an engine in". I don't know who would think that...
Old 07-03-15, 08:36 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Would it be a safe assumption that an automatic vvti 1JZ would be in better health internally? Open to opinions on this one...

edit: Also...what engine stand is everyone using?

Last edited by ashtray; 07-03-15 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-03-15, 08:43 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Got it. Thanks.

Maybe you did not read that money is not my MAIN concern on any of this, and also, I am going to be servicing the engine 100% from gaskets to belts to sensors turbos pumps pullys etc. Thanks for your opinion but I have set my mind. Everyone has a 2JZ these days. I want something unique.

edit: But yes I am saving up money before putting it in and it will be fully rebuilt. And trust me I'm not taking any of this lightly or assuming that "it is so simple to just swap an engine in". I don't know who would think that...
Good.....glad to hear you are doing it right......

I get you with being unique....but with it not being that common of a swap......the forums may not be able to shed much light on it......if you encounter problems.....I hope it turns out well for you....

Last edited by CatManD3W; 07-03-15 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-03-15, 08:50 PM
Flogrown
Pole Position

It's a toss up man. To be honest since your going to do the maintenance parts on the engine it should be stout. I'm in Orlando and there are a lot of SC's here and most are 2j's I like that I went with the 1jz vvti route myself, it's a newer motor and I have yet to see another local SC with the same swap.
Old 07-03-15, 09:43 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Can't wait till I get it.

I might just go with a motor that doesn't come with a tranny...use my W58 and treat her gently while shopping for a nice R154.

Still up in the air and I'll see what I decide.
Old 07-03-15, 10:06 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A cold compression test don't mean much, it has to be warmed up firat. I always wanted to go with the 1jz vvti, it looks simple with the stock single. Can't wait to see your swap in the sc, good choice in a engine.

It was the last i6 new school in a way
Old 07-04-15, 05:41 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, so the reason you want a jzx100 engine is because it is not drive by wire. The way to tell is the throttle body. The first engine with the r154 is a 100 or Soarer engine. See how the throttle body says ETCS? On drive by wire engines, it says ETCS-i. These things suck. They're basically an obd2 style ecu that will go into limp mode for many reasons. **** that.

The x100/Soarer ecu is awesome. It's like the early jdm gte ecus in the sense that you can fool them all you want with no issues. Automatic ecu on manual swapped cars, no issue whatsoever. Getting the Trans with the engine might be the most cost effective way.

Also, the 110/171 (crown, not corona) have the harnesses routed in the worst possible way for this swap. Jzx100 harnesses are much easier to convert. Soarer is pretty much the same as a non Vvti soarer. Extend, repin, relocate PPS circuit to other side of the car because LHD, done. Jzx100 is a couple hours more work, but layout is similar enough to be able to be reworked easily enough.

I highly advise finding a 100 engine. DO NOT count on the importer to know their ****, you must know yours. I mentioned that I did a 171 engine in a cressida recently. My friend thought he knew what he was looking for, told the importer you mentioned above he needed a cable operated throttle body engine from jzx100, not 110 or jzs171, "no problem! Shipping it!" Tomato, tomato, tomato, ETCS-i showed up. I wasn't happy about it because it was twice the wire added in over a 100 harness and I was doing this at a super retarded friend rate. I still need a hand job for that.

Also, some points of interest. The stock BOV sucks. Also, the bov vsv's are pointless and don't help. A good recirculated BOV would be a good idea. And seriously, please reconsider tweaked. Like really really really.

Quick Reply: How to identify a JZX100 and also...