Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 - What shifter do I have?

Old 06-26-15, 12:25 PM
crenfro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W58 - What shifter do I have?

So I picked up a w58 a while ago, and I'm about to swap it in. I think I have the Supra W58, I've searched and threads that I found have expired pictures or aren't very specific. Do I need the tripod shifter? This is the W58 I have:
W58 - What shifter do I have?-6pjfvnl.jpg

If it's not can someone link me a picture of the right one I need?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-26-15, 12:31 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a good picture of where the trans mount bolt holes are. You can tell by the pattern. Also, if it has a cable speed sensor, it's an mk3 supra. If electronic, 92-94 sc. They went to the tripod w58 in 95 or 96. One of those years.
Old 06-26-15, 12:49 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

SC had tripod in 95+, the mk4 supra came with only tripods version.
looks like an early SC300 92-94 or could be an older mk3 w58 transmission.
by the shifter and housing length it might be out of the SC, either way it looks like it will work in an SC due to the housing being a little long and the swan neck shifter.
Old 06-26-15, 02:52 PM
crenfro
Driver

Awesome that's great news! I'm actually not home now but I will check the bolt pattern when I am. So I have a 95 SC, so if this is the older model one for the 92-94 will it still fit? Thanks.
Old 06-26-15, 07:28 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by crenfro
Awesome that's great news! I'm actually not home now but I will check the bolt pattern when I am. So I have a 95 SC, so if this is the older model one for the 92-94 will it still fit? Thanks.

Dude,

I have a '95 and the previous owner swapped in an older W58 such as the one in your photo. Here's what I found he did to the sheet metal by the shifter in order to make it fit.

Terrible.

Here is the incorrect version W58 such as the one in your photo installed in my 1995 SC300 with all parts installed at the time I purchased it. Appears 'normal' but it is definitely not underneath.

This is what the correct-for-your-year-version W58 appears like; the tri-pod W58.

- Chester

Last edited by freakness; 06-26-15 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-27-15, 03:53 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

The tripod W58 (or any tripod R154) is correct for any 1995-1997 SC300 that originally came with a manual. The transmission tunnel will have to be modified anyway no matter which style W or R series transmission is being used if the project car originally came with an automatic. Although the correct "early manual" or "tripod manual" tunnel and dust boot parts can still be sourced. Note that the "early" and "tripod" manual SC trans tunnels have different shifter opening locations.

Other than very minor shift quality differences due to the shifter designs, they are the same transmissions internally.

I'm willing to bet that the transmission pictured by the OP is from an SC300 with the electronic VSS because of the shifter extension housing. MK3 Supra W58's also came with swan shifters just like the SC300's but there are very minor differences in the exact bends of the metal. The same goes for an original 1991-1993 Soarer 5-speed R154 shifter, which is another very, very minor variation. All of the W58/R154 swan shifters should be interchangeable though. If they weren't, C's and SupraSport could not have been able to call their shifters universal for both applications (MKIII W58/R154 and SC300 "early" W58). By proxy, this also covers "early" Soarer R154's or MKIII R154's converted with Soarer extension housings.

In short, crenfro, you can use that W58 transmission just the same as any other (though the MKIII W58 is not as strong as all SC or MKIV W58's). It's the way you adapt or replace your tunnel that marks the extra step. If you do want a totally OEM style tunnel you would need to source the manual tunnel for a 1992-1994 SC300 5-speed either used or new. It would be a Lexus-only part no matter what kind of dealer you buy it from.

Finding yourself another W58 that is the tripod style would technically be more "purist" or "period correct" for the car's year but otherwise poses no advantage over what you already have. Unless it really is an MK3 Supra W58 with the aluminum sandwich plate.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-27-15 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 07:03 AM
crenfro
Driver

Thanks Kahn great post. The guy I bought it from claimed it was an sc300 tranny, but you can never be sure when dealing with people on Craigslist lol.

I want to do this the cleanest way but also since this is just a fun project I might not worry too much about modifying the tunnel to fit it.
Old 06-27-15, 08:54 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by crenfro
Thanks Kahn great post. The guy I bought it from claimed it was an sc300 tranny, but you can never be sure when dealing with people on Craigslist lol.

I want to do this the cleanest way but also since this is just a fun project I might not worry too much about modifying the tunnel to fit it.

Dude,

To clarify, is your sc300 currently an automatic? If so, then yes, you'll have to cut metal to make any style W58 transmission fit. In my case the previous owner couldn't or wouldn't install the correct tri-pod W58 transmission (I don't know what the problem was with the original) and chose to hack the existing tri-pod style tunnel on the car body. I'll eventually purchase a replacement tri-pod style tunnel (part number 58261-14010) to repair the existing wound. I wonder if the older non-tri-pod W58 tunnel is still available.

Here's an image (not mine) of the later SC300 upper transmission tunnel for use with the tri-pod style W58.

- Chester

Last edited by freakness; 06-27-15 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 01:38 PM
KahnBB6

^^ Yes, crenfro will have to modify his original automatic tunnel (or replace it) no matter what. Most people prefer to cut auto tunnels. And yes, that tunnel is the correct one for any "tripod" style manual (W58, R154 or V160) but the early variant may or may not still be available in Toyota's parts system. Worth a try to see if it is though. There is a DIY thread here showing exactly what to do in order to swap tunnels (A V160 swap thread).

Chester, it completely sucks that your car's previous owner decided to destroy the transmission tunnel. That's frustrating. If anyone has a 95-97 5-speed SC or a shell that has had the new tunnel put in it's better to stay with any tripod transmission from then on.
Old 06-27-15, 02:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the original auto hole is close to the 95+ tripod location, but Kahn is correct you will be cutting either way.
Just get a piece of sheet metal to cover the original hole and bolt/glue/rivet or whatever you can make work.
a good opportunity to place some of the heat shield and soundproofing stuff over it, that area tends to get hot on long drives.

the only real difference is the style of shifter in the end.
The early style has a bent shifter that is sort of pointed towards you, and makes short shifters more difficult to make and good ones are very expensive.
This kind has the ball and socket sort of linkage.

The tripod style shifter goes literally straight up and down in neutral, when its in 1, 3 and 5 it actually points away from you and when in 2 4 and R it points towards you. short shifters for this style are widely available for cheap. at the bottom of this shifter is a hole for a bolt to go through.

you would end up doing less cutting with a remote style if I am remembering correctly.
If you are used to a r154 or a mk3 supra w58, then you will feel right at home with the early SC w58.
If you are looking for the best shift feel possible, go for a remote shift trans and replace all the bushings.

The cars I think where you may want to just swap the tunnel to the 95+ style is if you had a 92-94 original 5speed car and went to a remote setup.
then the hole will be far forward and I think there is an issue of clearance with the remote setup and the tunnel since it sits kinda high in the tunnel.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-27-15 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-27-15, 04:05 PM
KahnBB6

^^ I could not have said this better (or shorter)

Yes, I think that's what the huge raised area represents on the Supra 6-speed tunnels (which are the same thing as the 95-97 SC 5-speed tunnels): extra clearance for the added height of the remote assembly on all of the W, R and V tripod transmissions. The 92-94 5-speed tunnel opening is not as raised, IIRC.
Old 06-27-15, 06:40 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm almost positive that is from a 92-94 SC300.
Also if you have an auto or manual, won't the tunnel need to be modified either way to have the R154 fit? If it is already manual then a w58 would fit but it would have already came with the W so why would someone be asking LOL, the V160 fits into the auto hole though with less modification than the W58
Old 06-27-15, 10:27 PM
KahnBB6

Not sure what you're asking, SCFactory. There isn't any trouble fitting a W58 or R154 in the SC tunnels. The only issue is cutting the opening to allow the shifter to protrude through or swapping a top tunnel cover that is appropriate for the transmission model... unless your car came with the appropriate tunnel to begin with. The V160 and V161 on the other hand really do need the tunnel swap and possibly some massaging of the lower transmission hump to allow full clearance.

The OP likely has an SC300 Auto chassis, so he does have to figure out how he wants to adapt the transmission he has given all the options we've discussed above.
Old 06-28-15, 03:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

SC factory, I think you need to read the thread again.

you are just saying w58 and r154 and v160, but the v160 only comes in remote shifter, and the r154 and the w58 could either be a swan neck shifter off a mk3 or a remote style like the mk4 and the soarer.

all of them fit into an SC, but if you had a swan neck style 92-94SC that means your car has the tunnel shape for the swan neck and not for the remote, so you would have to bash out the tunnel, cut the tunnel, or swap the tunnel.

so it matters what your car came with, the 92-94 manual tunnel puts the shifter hole under the radio, the 95+ one puts it in the middle of the shifter boot in the console, and the auto hole sits a little behind the 95+ manual hole.

Look at the picture of the 95 above which has the tunnel for a remote shift and you will see the difference in using a swan neck style setup.
They had to cut a bunch out when they could have just found the right transmission.
Old 06-28-15, 04:58 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Not sure what you're asking, SCFactory. There isn't any trouble fitting a W58 or R154 in the SC tunnels. The only issue is cutting the opening to allow the shifter to protrude through or swapping a top tunnel cover that is appropriate for the transmission model... unless your car came with the appropriate tunnel to begin with. The V160 and V161 on the other hand really do need the tunnel swap and possibly some massaging of the lower transmission hump to allow full clearance.

The OP likely has an SC300 Auto chassis, so he does have to figure out how he wants to adapt the transmission he has given all the options we've discussed above.
I do appreciate the info Kahn an Ali, What I'm saying is even if you have a 92-97 5 speed chassis the tunnel would have to be cut for the R154 or V160 correct? So it's not as big a deal to cut an auto chassis for the W58. You do not need the tunnel for the V160 either, only a hammer and cutting. So don't feel bad about cutting the hole for the W58, everybody will have to do it if they are not replacing an original 92-94 W58 or 95-96 W58 . Just do it as clean as possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: W58 - What shifter do I have?